Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my recent best friend passed away, i went to the library to get a book on dog breeds to see what kind i might get to take her place. I saw one i might like in the book, but ironically it doesn't say what kind it is. The picture below is from the back cover of the book and i couldn't find the same kind of dog in the breeds section. Does anyone know what kind of dog it is, or if it's a mix, can anyone give me an approximation of its types? It's the dog on the bottom left of the picture. Thanks guys :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
wow! Maybe someone with better eyes then I can see tell more accurately but for my old eyes it looks like a Shepherd mix. Maybe with Shiba Inu or something in it as well. Cute dog.
I think you might be better off looking into what "temperament" fits you rather then looks. Check out things like average exercise requirements, grooming requirements etc... Whether or not the breed tends to be good with other animals or aggressive, outgoing or aloof with people etc.... "Looks" is the icing on the cake not the most important thing. I would love to see you be really happy with your new dog for years and years. Have you thought about looking into adoption at your local shelter? That way you can go and "try out" some dogs by interacting with them, maybe taking them for a walk etc...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Looks like a mix to me as well - possibly some Shep. in there.

Inga gave some good advice though. You should start by building a sort of 'profile' regarding what you want in a dog. Not only does it give you a much better idea as to what you're looking for but it also helps to curb impulse buys. You'll already know what will and won't work for your family and hopefully will then be less likely to sway from the plan.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Looks like a mutt to me, but I could be wrong.

As Inga said, the way the dog looks is going to have very little to with how much you enjoy its company. Even if your dog were a specific breed, individuals within breeds vary widely.

What are you looking for in a dog?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Probably a mix, but it looks like it has some Shiba in it. Please do your research on the breed first. Far to many end up in rescues due to people getting one based on their looks.
The Misanthropic Shiba

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well of course I know looks aren't everything. I simply thought it looked like a nice dog so i was just curious to see what breed it was. I was by no means saying i was going to get a dog simply by looks. Besides, each dog also has its own personality, so even if i was to get a dog by it's temperament, it would be different than another dog of the same breed.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
frederick213 There has been no judgment on you with this thread. All too many people do base their choice for dogs on looks alone and I just wished to caution you had that been the case. Some people simply do not know any better. There is nothing wrong with not knowing something. We just try to offer suggestions when we can that might help. Let's face it, it is much better to mention the obvious then to let someone go on not knowing, if that were he case. ;)
What attributes are you looking for in a breed? We might be able to offer some suggestions to help you narrow your search.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha i know. It's just i hear stuff like that waaay too much in my life even though i already know the obvious :p. But i'm not really looking for anything specific in a dog, just one that loves me and one that i feel i can get attached to is all. I mean, whether she needs to be walked a lot, or can just sit around and not mind, or whether she's a barker or quiet most of the time doesn't really matter much to me. And as to the shelter suggestions, yes i know that option. I already went to a shelter earlier but literally 90% of the dogs there were pitbulls (i like pitbulls, but i don't feel they're "my" type of dog) and i've yet to look at other shelters. I'm just widening my options is all looking into breeds that i think look interesting is all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Google some questions like.......Find the dog that fits my personality or needs. That's what I did and was able to determine many things by reading some interesting sites. Some have sites to match you up with your ideal dog and its free.

I can tell you, I got my two about 7 months ago and I feel like I am really important to them....and they are to me. They seem to have helped me put things into perspective after having a very rough 2 years.

I am sorry to hear about your friend. Good luck.

·
Registered
823 Posts
You should check out petfinder.com. You can look at hundreds of dogs, without ever leaving the house! You will obviously have to meet them sometime, but it is a good place to start. Also, a lot of rescues who post on petfinder have dogs in foster care, so you can know exactly what you are getting! Good luck and keep us updated! Don't give up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts