Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
his name is trigger! i was told he was a full australian shepherd but now that he has gotten a little older he looks like he has something else in him, i just dont know what... please help :) he is almost 6 months old. i have pictures of when we first got him to a couple weeks ago!

trigger4.jpg trigger1.jpg trigger3.jpg trigger2.jpg trigger5.jpg

·
Registered
943 Posts
Cute pup! Umm wild guess but I definitely agree he doesn't look like a purebred Australian shepherd either. It almost looks as though he could have some Blue Heeler in him. Not sure where you're from but i've noticed here in Alberta australian/herding breeds are common mixes. On Kijiji I see lots of Aussie shepherd/blue heeler and border collie mixes. My Australian Kelpie mix has border collie and australian shepherd as well yet you would never know it as he looks like a purebred Kelpie.

I'll stick with my guess of ASD x Blue Heeler

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Cute pup! Umm wild guess but I definitely agree he doesn't look like a purebred Australian shepherd either. It almost looks as though he could have some Blue Heeler in him. Not sure where you're from but i've noticed here in Alberta australian/herding breeds are common mixes. On Kijiji I see lots of Aussie shepherd/blue heeler and border collie mixes. My Australian Kelpie mix has border collie and australian shepherd as well yet you would never know it as he looks like a purebred Kelpie.

I'll stick with my guess of ASD x Blue Heeler
Not sure what an ASD is (Australian Shepherd) but my guess would be Australian ShepherdxAustralian Cattle Dog (sometimes known as a Texas heeler). Definitely NOT purebred Aussie.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Not sure what an ASD is (Australian Shepherd) but my guess would be Australian ShepherdxAustralian Cattle Dog (sometimes known as a Texas heeler). Definitely NOT purebred Aussie.
ASD is just short form for Australian Shepherd. like GSD is German Shepherd. and Australian Cattle Dog is a Blue Heeler, I guess also known as a Texas Heeler, but i've only known them as the Cattle dog or Blue heeler :) I'd say its a very close guess anyway. I see the ASD, but the white freckled strip on the face, and the stubbier looking legs reminds me of the Blue/Texas Heeler.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
ASD is just short form for Australian Shepherd. like GSD is German Shepherd. and Australian Cattle Dog is a Blue Heeler, I guess also known as a Texas Heeler, but i've only known them as the Cattle dog or Blue heeler :) I'd say its a very close guess anyway. I see the ASD, but the white freckled strip on the face, and the stubbier looking legs reminds me of the Blue/Texas Heeler.
Ah, the difference is that the actual name of the German Shepherd (Deutscher Schäferhund) translates as German Shepherd Dog. An Australian Shepherd is just an Australian shepherd but you could abbreviate as AS. An Australian Cattle Dog is the AKC name for a Blue or red heeler. The dogs I've heard referred to as "Texas heelers" are a cross betweeen Aussie and ACD

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ah, the difference is that the actual name of the German Shepherd (Deutscher Schäferhund) translates as German Shepherd Dog. An Australian Shepherd is just an Australian shepherd but you could abbreviate as AS. An Australian Cattle Dog is the AKC name for a Blue or red heeler. The dogs I've heard referred to as "Texas heelers" are a cross betweeen Aussie and ACD
Sounds good to me! lol. I've just seen the Australian shepherds be referred to ASD's on here before so I just sorta followed suit. Aussie sounds best to me though :). Ahh that's where Texas Heeler comes from! I googled the ACD/Aussie mixes and a few came up as Texas Heelers. There I learned something today!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Where do they get the "Texas" part from though, if both breeds originate from Australia? Australian Shepherd and Australian Cattle Dog....Why Texas, when the two mix together?

Also, welcome to the forums, kaitlyn :D

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Where do they get the "Texas" part from though, if both breeds originate from Australia? Australian Shepherd and Australian Cattle Dog....Why Texas, when the two mix together?
I'm sure it's because many Texans thing far too highly of themselves, lol (said by a Texan).

He's a cute dog but past Australian Shepherd or maybe Border Collie I'd have no other mix guesses. How big is he?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm sure it's because many Texans thing far too highly of themselves, lol (said by a Texan).
Lmao!! You are too funny :p

I'd like o know where you got him from? Rescue? I'd say he's got border collie, as well. Maybe Border collie/ACD?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

Also, welcome to the forums, kaitlyn :D
Australian Shepherds are probably closest rated to the Pyr shepherd (smooth faced version), and migrated through Australia with the Basque herds of merino sheep that got imported to the US. People assumed they were Australian, but most of the Aussies you'll find in Australia were from American dogs, because the breed was developed in the American west. Texas heelers are probably called that because it's a pretty popular mix for cattle ranches in Texas (and sometimes in disc dog competitions.)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Australian Shepherds are probably closest rated to the Pyr shepherd (smooth faced version), and migrated through Australia with the Basque herds of merino sheep that got imported to the US. People assumed they were Australian, but most of the Aussies you'll find in Australia were from American dogs, because the breed was developed in the American west. Texas heelers are probably called that because it's a pretty popular mix for cattle ranches in Texas (and sometimes in disc dog competitions.)
Ok, that's what I figured, that they are a popular mix in Texas. That's great :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts