Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

what kind of dog do i have?

781 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  polkadotbanana 
#1 ·
So me and m fiancé got our little doggy in August. She was in a really bad home that couldn't take care of her anymore. They didn't care for her at all so they never really inquired as to what kind of breed she is and they didn't tell us how old she was either. Regardless we love her. But recently one of my friends dogs became sick after a rabbies shot and they couldnt figure out why until they took her to the vet and found out the type of breed she has usually has allergic reactions to certain shots. So long story short I want to know what she is for her safety and also so I know if she is full grown or going to continue to grow. Any input would help. thank you so much in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Oh, she's a lot smaller than I thought she was. I was thinking maybe a mix of pittie, German Shepherd, and who knows what else, but with her being so teensy, I don't think that's likely now. She's probably a mixy-mix from mixy-mix parents. Whatever she is, she's cute.

#6 ·
I know its crazy how similar to a german shepard mix she looks like especially with those ears! She might just be a mix-mix like you said, but I was just curious as to what others think. And she is a lot smaller than most people would think but shes so cute. We got her in hopes of getting a big dog because we thought she would get bigger but it doesnt look like shes growing at all.

#7 ·
She has her days to were she is VERY energetic and then she has some days were she just wants to be lazy and be a potato. She does love to chase cats, and play with other dogs. But after about 40 minutes of walking the neighborhood shes pooped and ready to take a nap. As for her agility she can jump about two feet in the air and run pretty fast I would say. But then again shes also a puppy still.

#8 ·
Disclaimer: I'm absolutely horrible at "guess the mix" so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

IMO, that prominent red nose and those super-long, erect ears came from somewhere, and will likely provide the greatest clues.

Dog breeds with red noses are generally limited to ... Red Nose Pitties, Dog de Bordeaux, Vizslas, chocolate coloured Dachshunds, Pharoah Hounds, and Ibizan Hounds.

Of those breeds, my best guestimate would be either the Pharoah Hound or the Ibizan. Possibly Ibizan considering I think I can see a bit of a white blaze on her chest. Plus, both have long, erect ears. I don't really see any DdB or Dachshund, although Vizsla is a very distant possibility I suppose. Pharoah and Ibizan are distant possibilities too, since they are relatively rare in numbers compared to the others mentioned, and don't usually show up in any of the mixes out there. On the other hand, your descriptions of her energy levels, prey drive and speediness does appear to corroborate my thoughts of Pharoah Or Ibizan. Your dog's conical or snipey head shape also seems to suggest some type of sighthound, and also seems to reduce the likelihood of Pittie which usually have a slightly blockier head.

I agree with LeoRose as well, the faint sable saddle and ears could be contributed from a GSD, at least if it wasn't for her small stature. And she's quite cute whatever she is.

Anyway, just my nickel's worth.

#9 ·
Disclaimer: I'm absolutely horrible at "guess the mix" so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

IMO, that prominent red nose and those super-long, erect ears came from somewhere, and will likely provide the greatest clues.

Dog breeds with red noses are generally limited to ... Red Nose Pitties, Dog de Bordeaux, Vizslas, chocolate coloured Dachshunds, Pharoah Hounds, and Ibizan Hounds.

Of those breeds, my best guestimate would be either the Pharoah Hound or the Ibizan. Possibly Ibizan considering I think I can see a bit of a white blaze on her chest. Plus, both have long, erect ears. I don't really see any DdB or Dachshund, although Vizsla is a very distant possibility I suppose. Pharoah and Ibizan are distant possibilities too, since they are relatively rare in numbers compared to the others mentioned, and don't usually show up in any of the mixes out there. On the other hand, your descriptions of her energy levels, prey drive and speediness does appear to corroborate my thoughts of Pharoah Or Ibizan. Your dog's conical or snipey head shape also seems to suggest some type of sighthound, and also seems to reduce the likelihood of Pittie which usually have a slightly blockier head.

I agree with LeoRose as well, the faint sable saddle and ears could be contributed from a GSD, at least if it wasn't for her small stature. And she's quite cute whatever she is.

Anyway, just my nickel's worth.
Well like I said I appreciate any type of feed back! After looking up those breeds I can defiantly see how she looks like those two hounds. I never would have guessed to check those types of breeds. She has a VERY similar tail curl compared to the Ibizan hound and her ears and face shape as well I can defiantly see being part Ibizan as well. She does seem to be a bit chunkier than them though but that just might be whatever shes mixed with. Either way she does look very similar and after looking up more of the breed seems to have some similar characteristics and personality traits. Thank you for enlightening me on what she might be! I really do appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.