Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My yellow lab puppy is a very vigorous chewer and loves bones. I have been buying them from the pet store but was wondering if the ones from a butcher would be better. I want them to clean his teeth but also last more then a day from constant chewing. What kind of bone should I buy and will it have meat pieces on it or will it be cleaned? I am a vegetarian and find dead animal meat on my floor awful. I accept it because I love my dog and know he needs bones for his and my sanity.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
i give the marrow 'soup' bones (the longer ones) uncoocked of course. you can get them from the butcher, it would prolly be better since most ones i see in the pet stores are smoked or something like that which is bad, they can splinter as the dog chews them, raw is always best, you can give them for a set amount of time & take them up & refreeze them when threy are done, Buddy will chew on them for only so long before he gets tired i guess, Josefina will do it non stop til OH gets tired of hearing her & takes it away LOL. google 'marrow bones & you will see what i am talking about

·
Registered
468 Posts
i would be very careful with marrow bones. Hard bones like those from the weight-bearing bones of big animals can crack or break their teeth. I would just observe how your puppy does with them. But I agree with dogdragoness, avoid cooked and smoked bones. I don't even know why they sell those.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
If you want it to last a couple days and not make a mess on your floor I would forgo actual bones and go for things like Nylabones or antlers. These are both sterile and should last a good while. You want to stay away from those smoked bones you can buy at the pet store, as any cooked bone is dangerous to your dog's intestinal tract. This is because they become brittle and splinter, leaving potentially sharp bits in your dog's stomach. The alternative is raw bones, which are not brittle and are sometimes pretty flexible (like chicken bones). I think the best raw bone for chewing in my experience has been beef ribs. They take a while to get all the meat off of them, which is good for a dog's teeth. I assume, though, that raw bones are not something you'd be willing to stomach as a vegetarian. No biggie, as I mentioned, Nylabones or antlers will do the job.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I haven't tried antlers, but I heard they last sooooo long, that would be a good bone to try that has no meat on it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried Nylabones but they just don't hold his interest. I will send my meat loving husband to the butcher tomorrow and get a bone. So, I shouldn't get a soup bone because it may splinter? Are beef knuckles less likely to splinter?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
no i meant just those smoked bones like the ones they sell at petco, other no no's are: Rawhide, greenies & pig ears. But Bully sticks are another great alternative to raw bones, just be sure to get them in the appropraite size for your dog & make sure they are all natural with no added colors or flavors & what not... they can rub off on things like carpet & such, so be advised about that. if your butcher sells poultry you might ask him about getting some chicken backs or turkey necks, those are really good tooth brushers & they can be fed as a raw meal (i believe).

but if you cant stomach raw bones or the sounds dogs make when they are eating them (its not for the squemish, esp turkey necks or chicken backs :S) antlers are a good choice, you can get them whole or split, the whole ones last longer but for the first time i would get split antlers. just make sure they have no small or sharp points on them & they are the appropraite size for your doggy :)

happy chewing :)

·
Banned
964 Posts
My yellow lab puppy is a very vigorous chewer and loves bones. I have been buying them from the pet store but was wondering if the ones from a butcher would be better. I want them to clean his teeth but also last more then a day from constant chewing. What kind of bone should I buy and will it have meat pieces on it or will it be cleaned? I am a vegetarian and find dead animal meat on my floor awful. I accept it because I love my dog and know he needs bones for his and my sanity.
Im wondering to myself ..Why would a vegetarian choose a carnivoure as a pet?
There are a lot of other pets to chose from...Like birds that eat seeds

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feed him meat. I don't think my dietary choices in any way affect him. I give him bones and meat on occasion just like anyone else would. I am not sure why what I eat should bother you.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Im wondering to myself ..Why would a vegetarian choose a carnivoure as a pet?
There are a lot of other pets to chose from...Like birds that eat seeds
I was a vegetarian for years and years and had dogs throughout that time. What I eat and what my dog eats are two entirely different things. And it irritates me that people think a dog can be like so easily replaced with animal xyz. You can't walk a bird or a rabbit, at least not to the same extent as a dog. There are few if any places to travel and have fun with a bird or a rabbit. There are just like a bazillion reasons why a person would want a dog and diet is like the smallest consideration I can think of!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Plus, I am sure many vegetarians would find the meat handling worth it to have such a great animal.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My big dog loves Bully sticks. She has a sensitive stomach so the meatbones they sell in the grocery store for dogs would always make her sick.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I also say antlers (moose, elk, or deer) would be the perfect choice. That and maybe himalayan chews in the biggest size.

My dogs still have antlers I bought 1,2,3 years ago. They last very long and dogs love them. I recently bought a moose antler two weeks ago and my girl has not even gone through half of it.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Everytime I get my horse's feet trimmed, I give the dogs the trimmed off hoof. They chew on them for months. They are a little smelly the first few days but then they dry up and there is no smell. I have pieces of hoof lying around that they have been chewing on since spring. I can get free antlers whenever I want but my dogs have never shown any interest in chewing on them.

·
Banned
964 Posts
I feed him meat. I don't think my dietary choices in any way affect him. I give him bones and meat on occasion just like anyone else would. I am not sure why what I eat should bother you.
What you eat doesnt bother me at all..
Im not oppossed to your vegetarian diet ..I support it.
but..
Why would you choose a carnivore as a pet?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
What you eat doesnt bother me at all..
Im not oppossed to your vegetarian diet ..I support it.
but..
*facepalm*

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
So a vegetarian/vegan should only have herbivores as pets?

I second kafka's :doh:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I like giving Beef or Pork Ribs. They may not last all day, certainly not, but they are relatively safe when raw, and really delicious.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts