Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:) since i am a new member and have been reading alot of posts about the members dogs here, so, forgive me if this is a repeat, so, here it is:

what was your reason for getting a dog(s)? feel free to add your story about your furbaby. here is mine,

when my hubby and first met we were both animal lovers, and i was living in an apt that was not suited for dogs. sadly since he was the only one working, we were unable to move into a place that would be big enough for dogs. we found a place to live that was suited for us, and stayed for 3 years, once we tired of that, we i began talking ( ok, begging) my hubby for a dog, his statement was set in stone, "no dog until we get a home with a yard.. so, that was my quest, to find a home WITH a yard, and finally get a dog ;). well, my dad's neighbor that we had known for years, and she had a pure breed GSD, and she had just had some pups, 7 to be exact. well, everytime we would visit, our neighbor would as us if we would like one, we were not quite ready for a pup ( no home with yard), so, since the pups were not yet ready for homes ( i think they were only a few weeks old), that was enough time to secure a home to bring home the pup.

Finally, we landed a home, with a fully fenced yard... and about a month later we brought Thunder home!! soon after getting him tho we needed to get a playmate, and ( you can read that story in another thread), we found Cinni..

fast forward to today, they are totally part of the family, my mom always said " the OUTSIDE of a dog is good for the INSIDE of a human, and the INSIDE of the human is good for the OUTSIDE of the dog". we live by that everyday, they have their own beds, with blankets,toys and TV and they always sleep with one member or 2, during the night. they get everything they need, and they are in their forever home ;):D

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I got my dogs to scare away unwanted solicitors. ;)

Just kidding. I am simply not whole without a dog or two or....
A dog adds something to me. There was only a few months in my life that I did NOT have a dog and it was so lonely and quiet. Even though I might have a house full of people, the stillness is unnerving to me when there is not a dog in the house. I go to friends houses that do not have dogs and I feel sort of weird. The house doesn't feel like a home. If that makes any sense. lol

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
As soon as I had my own place I got a dog...fast forward 30 yrs and I have never been without at least one animal, usually 2, sometimes 3 or 4. When I take the dogs for grooming, I can't wait to get them back! I live alone and while the current bunch wouldn't do much damage to anyone, they sure as hell make a lot of noise! I couldn't imagine living without my animals. :D

Oh, and they are good for not opening the door to unwanted solicitors...

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've had dogs all my life until I got married. I convinced my ex to get a dog finally that we had the last 5 of our 16 years of marriage and when we got divorced she had to stay with him. I couldnt find anywhere that would allow me to have her. So finally last year after 3 years without a dog I got Bella when I moved into my new home. Its the first time I have had a totally inside dog and I small one. She is my companion and friend. She is good mannered and has a fun sence of hummor. My children are teenagers and their friends like her too.
I will be having to move again to an apartment from my home soon. My landlord is letting Bella come with me as my dr has wrote an rx for her as a companion dog for me.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I just love them. I can't really elaborate, because I don't know why. I just love dogs. All of mine we found in shelters in a bad way and I just thought it was so stupid. My boyfriend jokes that I have a 6th sense for finding the worst off dogs (medically and behaviorally) and picking them.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i feel like a dog is the missing part in my life. i waited almost 8 years before my husband and i got a dog since we were waiting to get a house with a yard etc etc... we finally just got a dog almost a year ago and it has been fantastic. i can be happy with my life and my husband and my other animals but i wasn't HAPPY until i got iorek. there is something about dogs that i just connect to. i am sure that a lot of you will understand what i am trying so clumsily to explain...

·
Registered
54 Posts
For company. my husband will be starting his MBA this year and be even working more than he is now. So I have always wanted one so at last getting one!

But yes I do realise that is selfish reasons so I am going to make sure as Cesar says to satisfy the dogs needs first and I will come last with giving it affection to satisfy me.

·
Registered
637 Posts
grew up with them on the farm,,,which progressed to breeding borders and then hvaing rescues and now looking into breeding irish setters

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dogs don't need college, braces, soccer or ballet lessons.:p

I've always loved dogs, all of my life and as soon as I lived in my own place, the first thing I did was get my own dog.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I got my dog specifically to train to go to the beer and wine store for me . That didn't work out but I kept him anyways .

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have had dogs my whole life with only a short break in my mid-twenties when my work schedule couldn't accomodate . . . that will never happen again.

I was brought up with working dogs, but have always liked dogs for one main reason, and that is their companionship. With age that means my dogs now are of the smaller and less active variety. I like a biddable dog (or two or three or four) hanging about because they entertain me and provide that companionship.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I got my dogs to scare away unwanted solicitors. ;)

Just kidding. I am simply not whole without a dog or two or....
A dog adds something to me. There was only a few months in my life that I did NOT have a dog and it was so lonely and quiet. Even though I might have a house full of people, the stillness is unnerving to me when there is not a dog in the house. I go to friends houses that do not have dogs and I feel sort of weird. The house doesn't feel like a home. If that makes any sense. lol
I'm exact same way. When my two RB passed away, it was pure lonesome, also to add I didn't feel safe and it felt weird on walks w/o a dog

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I got mine to help with housework. Long tail = coffee table duster. Long tongue = floor cleaner (barcuuming) and window washer. And she's more than happy to take care of the garbage for me if I leave the cabinet open for her. Isn't that sweet? Although I think with the amount of peanut butter she scarfs down, I'm getting the short end of the stick here. I definitely need to find more chores for her to do to even out the cost/benefit equation. I know she'd like to give bunny catcher or kitty gobbler a try...

·
Banned
352 Posts
My wifes reason for having a dog is that it is easier and safer to use than her cane, plus the dog is able to transmit more information to her about the walking conditions than the cane does. Her Guide just gives her an easier time getting around.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
My wifes reason for having a dog is that it is easier and safer to use than her cane, plus the dog is able to transmit more information to her about the walking conditions than the cane does. Her Guide just gives her an easier time getting around.
Now that's a good reason!

·
Banned
42 Posts
Me? It's because I adore dogs. It's also been proven that dogs improve your attitude. Dogs are simply amazing.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I have always been an animal lover and growing up, never not had an animal. When I moved out of my parents house, I had a cat but couldn't take her with me. It broke my heart. After 4 years of not having her, I finally moved into a house where I could have pets. My parents and I talked about it, and decided it was less stressful for her if she stayed in the house she knew for 9 years. I was heartbroken but wanted a pet.

My fiance and I fought back and forth for months about what to get before moving. I wants a ferret or a cat, he wanted a dog or sugar glider. He refused a cat (just isn't a cat person) and he doesn't like ferrets (they "stink") so I being the animal lover I am was Ok with a sugar glider or dog.

Dogs were not at the top of my list because I knew how much work they were (man if I only knew) so I started looking for a sugar glider. After doing the research on them I decided a dog would work better.

So long story short? I got a dog because I wanted a pet and it was the only thing my fiance and I could agree on.

Why did I get another dog after my big disaster with Carter? Because the dogs needs are what I want in my life right now. I LOVE having to get up and walk everyday. I LOVE being outside so much. I LOVE the constant joy of having a dog around. I LOVE the hobby's that dogs provide. Besides it's hard to leave DF and if I didn't have a dog, then it would have been hard to stick around and be friends with so many people!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts