Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

What is your favorite Flea&Tick Product?

• Frontline (Plus)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • K9-Advantix

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Advantage

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about that time to start worrying about fleas again.

When I adopted Donatello I started using Hartz Flea&Tick, but I had someone scare me out of using it. Now that it's getting warmer out, Donatello is starting to scratch, he doesn't have fleas yet but he will soon...

So I'd like to know what you all use, or what your favorite brand is.

·
Registered
823 Posts
My dogs are on Sentinel, so they do not get regular flea treatment. But whenever I bring a new animal in the house (I foster cats) or if I ever see a flea (Sentinel sterilizes fleas but does not kill them) everybody gets a dose of Advantage.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Food grade Diatomaceous Earth. Nontoxic and very effective against external AND internal parasites.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've never used Advantix, but my vet said it does better with ticks...

I use Advantage for all of my dogs (my kitties get Frontline ^^).

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Food grade Diatomaceous Earth. Nontoxic and very effective against external AND internal parasites.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

And so do I! I live in FL, where fleas are ever present. Not on my dogs and cats. I refuse to chemically poison them when I can prevent it naturally.

·
Registered
601 Posts
poodleholic and reynosa_k9's: Could you tell me how much you give and if you give it to your dogs for a set number of weeks and then nothing or is it something you can give daily? Isn't food grade DE for internal parasites? Do you also use the DE that is sprinkled around dog bedding, baseboards for fleas? Thanks in advance.

I use Revolution, but I do not like applying these chemicals on her.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with a somewhat cheaper brand, it's called Sentry Pro (Not even on my list to vote from. lol!) It was about fifteen dollars, so on the cheap side, but it provides 4 months of protection versus three. It kills Fleas, Ticks, and Mosquitoes for one month, and kills the eggs and larvae up to fourth months with each application...

It's not as costly as Frontline, and most likely not as good, but I'm hoping to keep the fleas and ticks under control using shampoos and other products as well... I don't like the thought of 'poison in the blood stream'...

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
poodleholic and reynosa_k9's: Could you tell me how much you give and if you give it to your dogs for a set number of weeks and then nothing or is it something you can give daily? Isn't food grade DE for internal parasites? Do you also use the DE that is sprinkled around dog bedding, baseboards for fleas? Thanks in advance.

I use Revolution, but I do not like applying these chemicals on her.

Yes, it is also used for internal parasites. I dust it along baseboards, in rugs/carpeting, under sofa cushions, etc.

You can read about it, along with dosage and how tos here:

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts