Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Which products are your favorite for treating/preventing Fleas, Ticks, and Heartworm?

• Frontline

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Advantage

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • K9 Advantix

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Sentinel

• Revolution

• Ivermectin

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • HeartGuard

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Zema

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iverheart

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My research for the right flea/tick/hw med for Zoey continues.. I've been doing some research online about different ingredients and what they do.. I think I would like to use either Sentinel or Revolution. I want to see what you guys think though.. also any imput on health effects or concerns about any products I would greatly appreciate! My mother-in-law's dog Sugar had an oral flea/tick/hw med when she was younger, and had a reaction to it and had bloody stools, she was vomiting and could hardly walk. She went in to the vet and had her blood pumped out, filtered, and pumped back in before she was ok. So my husband wants to stray away from oral meds, though I know Sentinel is oral.. I dont know if topical would be the way to go for us since she gets a lot of baths. I'm trying to figure out which one they gave Sugar so we don't give it to Zoey..

EDIT:
I'm seeing lots of people voting Frontline for fleas and ticks, so I went to see their site, and it says on there that it is waterproof, even after swimming and bathing. Can that be true?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
We were using frontline, it stopped working here this past summer so we will be switching to something else this year. Not sure what, gonna ask my vet what she recommends. For heartworm we use interceptor.

·
Banned
221 Posts
Yes, Frontline becomes waterproof after a certain period of time. I can't remember if its a couple of hours or 24 hours. It is absorbed into the skin.

As for dangers, all these treatments contain poison and pose some risk.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the votes guys! I am definitely going to go with Frontline for fleas and ticks..we talked to the hubby's parents tonight and they said the dogs (including the one who had the reaction) are on Frontline now. For heartworm I'm torn between Iverhart and Interceptor.. I like that the drug in Iverhart is used to treat parasite in humans as well.. I'm not sure if the one in Interceptor is or not.. We'll have to get a prescription from the vet to get the heartworm medication (so their websites told me) so I wont be able to get any until we go in to get her Spay on March 26th, so I'll be able to ask the vet her opinion then too.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Watch out where you buy your Frontline. If it has Austrailia on the package its trash.Don't buy from "Maak for Pets". It must say France on the box. Don't expect Merial the company that makes Frontline to help you if you buy some of the wrong stuff. They suck, David

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Watch out where you buy your Frontline. If it has Austrailia on the package its trash.Don't buy from "Maak for Pets". It must say France on the box. Don't expect Merial the company that makes Frontline to help you if you buy some of the wrong stuff. They suck, David
Thanks! I actually saw that on another thread here.. (I assume it was you who had the bad experience?) and determined that I will buy it from our vet, even if it costs a little more. It's not worth taking a risk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts