Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

What is your dogs attitude towards strangers?

• Friendly

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Aloof

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Guarded

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Agressive

Votes: 1 2.4%
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have to vote twice.... one for each dog I have. (Is it possible?)

Ilya doesn't like strangers. He will meet them but he won't let them touch him unless I say it's okay. He gave a little warning growl at a neighbor once when he was out in the front yard and the neighbor was trying to get him back inside the back yard. He also avoids people at the park doesn't like to walk near them.

Lola, on the other hand, loves people. She wants to meet everyone of them and say hello. Tell her she's a pretty girl, and she'll ask you to take her home.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Taylor loves people!! And for a big dog he's been really great with kids. At 3.5 years old I've heard him growl at someone 3 times:
once at 2 younge men (mid 20's) in head to toe halloween cutomes. A gorilla and spider man who were walking behind us at night..... and no it wasn't halloween *lol.
second time at a lady when we, me and the husband, were sitting on the grass at a park, that one really caught us off gaurd. I didn't see anything wrong with her and it had been a year since he last growled at someone. Really strange..
And last time it was summer and the mister and I were downtown at an ice cream shop sitting at the cafe tables when a couple bikers, not the vroom vroom kind *lol, stopped for a water break behind us. I think it's was the outfits of shiny blue lycra, helmets and sport shades.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quincy is very guarded with strangers, he won't bark if I let them in the house, but for some reason he will bark his fool head off when they leave. Once he gets to know you he demands to be loved.

Ruby Roo is a 3 month old puppy, she hasn't met evil yet, she is pretty friendly and will give kisses to anyone.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Frank has NEVER met a stranger, everyone's his friend!!! Angel has to be propely 'introduced' to anyone new on nuetral ground.

·
Registered
637 Posts
All depends on the situation. :) Mine can go from ridiculously friendly to "come one step closer and I'll rip your face off" depending on the place, time, and intent of the stranger.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
It really depends on the circumstances, and who the stranger is.

When outside of the home, they are very friendly and love to meet new people...especially children. They love children (i did a lot of good socializing with children!). They don't jump, but they are very excited to meet new people and will allow petting, etc.

In the home, totally different story. They are very protective of strangers on the property that they don't know (like any service men or the postperson). I would call it aggressive to strange people wandering up on the property, especially Mac. He's the real protector, and Roe backs him up.

We don't have many guests...but the few times we have, they must be properly contained (on leash) to allow the guests in the home. Treats...and introductions. They cannot just walk in the house with us...just because we don't have a lot of practice with this. I'm sure with some training practice, they would be fine (which I need to do :)).

Mac is fine with guests and will quickly take the opportunity to get some attention. Roe is guarded towards men, but gladly welcomes women. With women, she will gladly give many kisses and snuggles to new people. With men, she'll bark at them until they sit down. Once sitting, she is comfortable, but if they stand up and walk around...she barks.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
They act differently depending on where they are.

Uallis in a nutshell is that he's a big baby and he acts the part with strangers. He's very nice to people he hasn't met before if he's at home. If he's in an unfamiliar place then he's different...very aloof toward people. He just ignores them unless they have a treat for him or a nice pet or scratch for him. The exception to that is kids...Uallis is fascinated with children. He hasn't been around many little kids...he will actively want to greet a child in public and he wants to follow them around. I've had a few issues with that in the past when I've taken him into work with me. I work at a school so there are little kids in the halls at times. Uallis and I will be walking down one hallway and suddenly Uallis will turn down another...sure enough its always a little kid that he's trying to follow. :rolleyes: He doesn't try to play with them or anything...he just wants to watch them. :confused:

Eddie at home is complicated. There have been a few occasions where he has taken an instant dislike toward a stranger. I can think of 3 or 4 occasions that has happened. Other people, he greets nicely. In general, I'd say that Eddie likes people and wants attention from strangers and will seek it out. But if he doesn't "like" them for whatever reason, he *can* act aggressively but that is hardly the norm from him but we still have to take precautions when we are expecting someone at our house that Eddie has never met before. However, in public, Eddie is very sweet toward people.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Depends on the dog

Haven - loves everyone he will bark at you at first but as soon as you get close he is all butt wiggles

Gizmo - Hates strangers and is terrified of everyone she doesn't know even though she was socialized as much as the other dogs she just doesn't like people

Ziggy - He doesn't know the word stranger

Happy - is still kind of afraid of people but he is getting better

Max - Likes people but will bark at them while rubbing all over them

Cocoa - Loves everyone and is a big goofball when she first meets someone

Lucky - Is not fond of strangers at all he is our 'guard' dog even though if they got close to him he would high tail it the other way lol

·
Registered
267 Posts
They all bark if someone unfamiliar to them comes in the house, even if it's my aunt. They're fine if we're out in public around strangers, though.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I could only answer friendly. Even though Rottweilers are supposed to be Aloof I have socialized the boys to the point that they think everyone is a friend. Sometimes they greet people in an almost too friendly manner. We are now working on toning it down just a little. I just don't ever want them to think I don't want them to be outwardly friendly.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Audubon - highly aggressive and ferocious
Bo - very friendly
Katie - very friendly
Emmy- friendly, but a little aloof with men
Callie - a little aloof
Gracie - very friendly
Blue - very friendly
Sam - entirely too friendly, and will jump into a stranger's arms :rolleyes:
Annie - very, very skittish and shy, but never aggressive
Jake - very friendly
Triumph - very friendly
Mattie - he's completely blind and partially deaf, but his tail never stops wagging no matter who is petting him. So I assume he loves everyone.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Always guarded - takes multiple meetings to warm up. Outside the house, she ignores them unless they reach toward her or loom over her at which point she barks and backs up. At the house she's pretty much the same way only she barks more.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Wally's not too keen on strangers.

He doesn't instantly try to run away/hide anymore, but he's not exactly running up to sniff their legs (or crotches) either.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Shadow loves everyone! If given the choice (much to his distaste, he has to sit to gets lovin' from strangers) he'd sit on a stranger's lap and lick their face until they leave.

Belle is okay with strangers when she sees we're okay with them. She'll greet them and give them a friendly sniff over let them give her a brief pet or two, but after that she kinda ignores them. They can come up and pet her and she'll be perfectly fine, she just doesn't seek our their attention on her own, like Shadow does. After she gets to know them well though, she'll be more affectionate with them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
my golden retriever thinks everyone is a potential friend. he couldnt care less about other dogs but definitely wants to meet people.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I don't have a dog (yet) but my mom's dog (who I avoid..the dog not my mom) loves everyone but me and their mail carrier. For the first two months they had Casanova (a Springer Spaniel/Aussie Shepard mix) he loved me...then one day while I was trying to teach him to retrieve...he decided I was food. Ever since then, he has to be locked up when I come visit or he tries to eat me.

Their mail box had to be moved from the side of the house to the front of the house so the mail carrier could deliver the mail. He did the same thing to her. Loved her for a while, then decided he wanted to eat her.

I know he really isn't trying to eat us, but you'd think we were burglars the way he comes after us.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
In the house and around town my guys are 100% love bugs to everyone:)

In the back yard I have see Isis bark a people walking in the neighbors yard...but I'm not sure if this is a "stay away" bark or a "hey come over here and play" bark?:eek:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts