Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2 year old boxer/pit mix has not been acting right. 3 days ago he fainted and vomited up grass while we were playing. I took him to the vet for his rabies shot which is routine, and brought up the incident to the veterinarian. He had vomited up half a baseball skin about a month ago, so i've been wondering ever since if he has anything else in his system. he suffers from pica, which is when he will chew and eat anything, so ever since the baseball skin incident we have been keeping a close eye on him.

Anyway, we get the xrays back. all they can see is that his heart is a little big. the bloodwork comes back fine. his heartbeat is regular. he vomits again this morning.

usually he has about 2-3 hours after we get up of being really energetic and begging to go outdoors. to give you an idea of his activity level: he can walk 6 miles no problem. he can play with other dogs with intensity for 1.5+ hours if they have water.

today, he shows no signs of wanting to be active. i took him for 2 walks, one about a mile, the other about 2 miles. he had loose stool, but i wouldn't call it diarrhea. he has been eating and drinking normally. the vet doesn't know what is wrong, and i don't know if i should be worried or not. anyone else experience something similar? he is a rescue dog. heartworm negative, and we've had him for 10 months.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the loose stools. Exercise stimulates the bowels, so it's not uncommon to have less than firm poops on walks. I'd actually be inclined to think that something cardiac is going on. Passing out and lethargy are sometimes signs of cardiomyopathy. You might ask your vet to refer you to a cardiologist and have some further heart testing done.

Here's a little more information for you.
http://www.boxerunderground.com/apr_bu_99/dr.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts