Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During Kabota's 9:30 pm, in the dark, end of the day walk, this happened:

A 120 lb+ mastiff approaches us slowly out of the dark. I've seen this dog once before, so I know he lives 2 houses down, but I have no idea how friendly he is or isn't. I couldn't get much out of his body language, either (slowly, silently approaching could be friendly or dangerous), but Kabota went nuts, lunging, snarling and barking at the mastiff. It could be that the mastiff wasn't neutered, Kabota seems to hate unneutered males, or the mastiff was being threatening and Kabota was protecting me, or some third option I don't know.

The mastiff was undeterred by Kabota's display, so I'm walking backwards, pulling Kabota with me (he's still lunging, snarling and barking) and I yelled, "Hey, your mastiff, come get him!"

I hear a whistle.

30 more seconds of backing away from the mastiff, who is not giving up, and I hear another whistle and it occurs to me that this dog's owner heard me yell for help, knew his dog was out, unsupervised, possibly menacing someone and he whistled and then waited to see if the dog would respond and then he tried that again.

Seriously?

So then I yelled, "Please come get your dog! Now!"

Finally, after another minute or two of backing up, Kabota threatening, mastiff approaching, a man slowly walks toward us. Slowly. You know, no big deal, my enormous mastiff is backing some woman and her dog down the street, why would I hurry? He finally reaches us, grabs his dog's collar and says, "He's only a year old, he doesn't bite" like I'm being ridiculous.

a. How am I supposed to know that?

b. Great, why is he out unsupervised and why didn't you come get him earlier?

c. Can you see my dog? Your dog may not bite, but mine seems to want to.

Honestly, what is wrong with people?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Ugh! That is so scary! I cannot understand the mentality of people who allow their dogs to roam. I understand we live in an incredibly self-centered society so I don't expect anyone to care about me or my dog but don't they at least care about their own? Glad you and Kabota got out of there safely.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I just don't get this guy's total lack of concern that his dog was out and scaring someone.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
What a jerk that guy was! I mean how would you know if the mastiff was or wasn't dangerous? I mean if it's a toy dog, you can easily get around it or, yes sorry, be able to hit it if s/he comes near your dog. But bigger dogs are harder to get away from or if they go to attack, it's harder to pull/get them off. You were right by what you did and some owners are clueless.

A PB got loose one night and ran at us. My father picked Luke up and he's not a fan of dogs running at us, thankfully this dog was nice and just wanted to check Luke out. So the lady is trying, unsuccessfully, to get her dog back. I thought she must be afraid because she wasn't approaching the dog. She was doing such a horrible job that I had to step in, be excited and basically get the dog's attention. I did and the PB followed me back. Do I get an apology or a thank you? Nope.

So some dog owners are rude and don't care. It's annoying, yes. But the best we can do nicely is inform them where they're going wrong. I know I said this before, but you did the right thing!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know if your community has a leash law or not. We had to turn in a family for leaving their killer Chiuawa out. It was outside and terrorized our Snoopy (Husky/Aussie) whenever we walked her to do her duties and get exercise. Just when we thought it was safe, there was that little demon dog. We called Animal Control, and they visited the family and ordered that they had to either keep him on leash or find him a new home. Very soon, we had another incident, on the icey sidewalk when Snoopy was harrassed by this little dog again, I called the cops. The dog was gone and we never saw it again. The situation was a single mom with small kids. She had no desire to walk the dog and it barked when it was chained up so she let it run around the neighborhood. I had to take two days off work and a doctor's visit to get treated for the shoulder and wrist sprains caused from the fall on the cement. It was very bad. My dog reacted well to the fall. She turned back to me and stayed with me til my husband could come to my aid. I think some people are just really ignorant about dog behavior and don't understand the danger of off leash animals.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I never got the logic of people like that. I had this happen when walking Cara one morning, two larger dogs rushed us in the street and I pick Cara up and more or less have her up on my shoulder while yelling for the guy to come get his guys. He slowly walks up and then made a comment about me walking my dog early in the morning. Um what?!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I can't understand people sometimes! :( The same thing happen to us two days ago. We saw a dog off leash, hubby picked up buddy & I started walking other way with lady This guys dog ran up to lady & was challenging her & lady was doing great with my commands(So proud of her<3), But that dog keep pushing, So Lady growled & dog didnt stop & dog owner just STANDING there watching, while we telling him to get his dog. The dog keep on So Lady gave the other dog a nip & now both dogs are growling, while I'm trying to get lady attention back on me & yelling at the STUPID owner to get his dog. The owner FINALLY yells for his dog saying "Get over here you F****in mutt" & dog goes the onwer gets him & hits him HARD over & over Me and hubby yell saying "There is no need to hit your dog, it's your fault you dont know how to leash your dog", & he had the nerve to say "Well you guys really should control your dog" =O I could not believe this guy!!

~Erica~

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Even though I live in the country ... I always have these "old timers" (dogs) slowly making their way through my yard and off into the woods somewhere. I cannot understand ... how especially with an old dog you have had for years ... how someone would think that by letting them roam the countryside ... the old dog has earned that right and isn't going to be accidentally shot or run over?

Too bad some people don't think ... "Must be in the water!" ... LOl! :D

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Sounds like this idiot was getting off on his dog threatening you. I'd call the cops too, if it happens again.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He must mean his dog has no teeth or is missing his bottom jaw and you just didn't notice. Those are the only dogs I've ever met that don't bite. -_- That guy sounds like a jerk.
As a friend of mine pointed out, the next year may be quite exciting in my neighborhood. The dog is a mastiff, they were bred for guarding people. As he matures, he may come into some instincts/behaviors that the owner clearly isn't prepared for. I'm not saying mastiffs are inherently dangerous, I really like mastiffs, but herding dogs herd, hounds follow scents and guard dogs guard. If you aren't prepared to deal with those behaviors, they can get dangerous quickly. (i.e., border collies nipping children, hounds running out into traffic to chase a scent and guarding breeds getting aggressive with "intruders" walking by the house.)

Can't wait!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
that sounds like the place i just came from, where everyone lets their dogs roam wherever they want, esp the ppl next door that had three huge danes & i dont know how many hounds & like mixes that liked to chase cars *headesk* i think they had like... 10 dogs total :S a few times they came over, but i chased them out myself & a couple of times of that & they didnt come back.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It pains me when people have their dogs off-leash and don't have a great recall with them. Even though Mastiffs are known to be friendly, I sure as hell wouldn't want to encounter one without their owner around.
This has happened a few times to me as well, and then I have to explain to the owners why their dog now has a big bite on it's face and why it's their fault. My dog's pretty good with other dogs coming over but just like people, we don't get along with everyone and they don't get along with every dog.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts