Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was perusing old threads and I saw someone mention that Greenies are bad. WHAT?? Dex loves Greenies. I dont give them very often, but I do have some at home. Why are they bad? What are good chewing, treat alternatives?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
They were killing dogs, I don't remember why though. They said that they changed their formula, but I don't trust it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy crap! Do you know how long ago? How were they killing dogs??

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I don't know about the killing dogs part (it sounds familiar though); but I wouldn't use them based on the ingredients : fillers and sugar!

Alternatives would be dehydrated tendons, or even deer antlers :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Petsmart sells antlers cut in pieces, would those be ok?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've never seen them at PetSmart. We get ours from PetValu or Bark! (which is local). I've also seen them online. I would just make sure they are not cut too small. They do wear down over time, so you need to carefully monitor your dog whenever he is doing any chewing. I always err on the side of going "too big."

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know if Greenies are still harmful? I have a whole bag of the "teeny greenies". I'd hate to just throw them away, but I dont want to cause an intestinal blockage either.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Does anyone know if Greenies are still harmful? I have a whole bag of the "teeny greenies". I'd hate to just throw them away, but I dont want to cause an intestinal blockage either.
Compare the price of those greenies to a vet visit with intestinal blockage. I wouldn't feel too badly for tossing them if I were you :)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Yes it was esophageal and intestinal blockages, and quite a few dogs died. I haven't heard anything about it after the formula change but I would never trust them ever. I stick to natural bones and chews and the occasional nylabone.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Definitely don't feed Greenies!!! I've read several sources that mentioned intestinal blockages, let alone the terrible ingredients list :( I give my dog raw chicken wings, elk antlers to clean teeth :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dog is a 7 pound Papillon. Do you think raw chicken wings would be ok for him? I always heard that they splintered. Is this not true anymore?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
My dog is a 7 pound Papillon. Do you think raw chicken wings would be ok for him? I always heard that they splintered. Is this not true anymore?
Cooked bones splinter, raw bones are fine for the most part (i.e weight bearing bones can break/chip teeth).

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yes, that is right - anytime you feed your dog bones you MUST supervise, as anything can happen. Generally though a dog will break it down enough before they swallow but you never know. Didn't have an issue with my 9 pound Bichon yet!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Chicken wings are so bony...depending on the size of your dog, it's my understanding they can also cause a blockage if your dog didn't chew it up well. Not against RMB feeding, just saying you should monitor your dog whenever you give them something to chew.
Raw chicken wings are just fine. Sydney eats them in a a couple bites, so they aren't that great for teeth cleaning (for her). They are soft bones, so it would be unusual for them to not digest properly, even swallowed whole (of course that isn't ideal). It's definitely less risky than greenies, and it's a very small calculated risk that raw feeders take every day.

Btw, whether or not something is bony is not what determines whether or not something is a blockage risk. It's how hard the bone is. That is why soup bones should not be swallowed but basically any chicken bone can. The only thing an overly boney meal will do is cause constipation, but that shouldn't even be a problem unless a person decided to feed like exclusively chicken wings or something like that.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
My paps do well with chicken wings. It actually takes them quite a bit of time to finish one, whereas with Greenies they're literally gone in seconds with my guys (which is the main reason I don't give them..too expensive and gone way too fast). Mine also like bully sticks and antlers (although they go for long periods of time where they won't even look at those).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts