Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it rains here so much that I have a towel on the floor right by the sliding glass door...I will get a picture!

Now when Sai comes in he is wet and I give him the signal and say- Sai, Down! He knows to lay down so I can towel him off while playing a delightful game off bite the hands!

Now he learned this fast with treats and did it every single time. It has been many weeks now and he is getting to be a little disagreeable! Sometimes he ignores me and makes a run for the sofa (soaking wet) and I have to drag him back.

I cannot stress to you guys that he knows what he is doing, and he knows what I want!!! He flat out is not listening to me :0

Many time he will stand, and when he finally goes down i swear he makes noises that sound like he is tired of me telling him what to do, and every now and again I swear he makes a noise that sounds like No :)

I just wonder why this bright young fellow is choosing to be so diffucult???

Attachments

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Stays are hard to teach. Down stays are slightly easier but, trying to teach a down stay and do toweling at the same time is certainly doing it the hard way.

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
ROFLMAO!!! I wipe Titan's feet every time he comes in, too, from the snow. He SCREAMS like I'm killing him and squirms. Tuff! Get over it! He's just being a puppy, testing you to see if you'll "leave poor little old me" alone. LOL I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a gate I can put across so he can come in and just be in the doorway period. I used it with my other sheltie years ago. Some days, he'd go to come in, see the gate and turn around! LOL Silly dog!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Stays are hard to teach. Down stays are slightly easier but, trying to teach a down stay and do toweling at the same time is certainly doing it the hard way.
He is great with the stay and down. What I mean is that a lot of times nhow he wont even go down and he will take off or walk away or just stand there and nip at me because I have the towel ready :)

I have a gate I can put across so he can come in and just be in the doorway period. I used it with my other sheltie years ago. Some days, he'd go to come in, see the gate and turn around! LOL Silly dog!
Your lucky to have that gate:D We have a wide open room, no gate long enough to help out here hehe!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Puppies will "forget" things many times before they reach adulthood. They also don't generalize well (true in all life stages). When they seem to get stubborn or forget, just give them the benefit of the doubt. Start over at the beginning. Always assume they don't remember any of it. The more you do this, the less he will forget and the more he will generalize. Don't get frustrated, be patient and do things right.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
sounds like he's just being a testy puppy.
maybe try treating him when he does lie down on the towel before you start drying him off. Then after drying him off, if he has some patience left, get him to lie down on the towel again after drying him off and treat him again.

We have a flight of stairs to go up before reaching our main level, and right at the top of the stairs there's a bathroom. We call it the "defrosting room". Matrix knows to go there after walks, but it took a while to train him because we only use it for winter and rainy days, but this winter he seemed to catch on quickly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Champ's puppy class trainer told us that between six and 18 months, our dogs will have selective hearing, will "forget" every command they've been taught, will have accidents in the house and will be willful and disobedient. She said that if you can make it through that, you'll have the best dog ever!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Back to treats then :)
Don't take this as an insult, I don't mean it that way at all...

From what I've seen of your posts and videos and just from his young age, I would say that Sai is nowhere near the point where you can completely phase out treats. Behaviours go extinct quite fast if they are not rewarded on some type of schedule.

Keep working his stays in every environment you can think of. Practice them with distractions, don't just expect him to hold when you're wiping his feet because he stays when you have training sessions.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't take this as an insult, I don't mean it that way at all...

From what I've seen of your posts and videos and just from his young age, I would say that Sai is nowhere near the point where you can completely phase out treats. Behaviours go extinct quite fast if they are not rewarded on some type of schedule.

Keep working his stays in every environment you can think of. Practice them with distractions, don't just expect him to hold when you're wiping his feet because he stays when you have training sessions.

That was not an insult :) I appreciate the advice! I will try this, I think I get ahead of myself!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You could be describing Tyson!! At about 8 months old, teenage years set in and haven't left yet. He will try to get away with any and everything. I am reinforcing all his commands, no exceptions. In the house, he is great. Outside, forget it. I could be screaming at the top of my lungs, and he just doesn't hear me :D
I just keep reminding myself this too shall pass. And I keep tons of treats on hand also to reinforce my commands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts