Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking for advice about my 1 year old Border Collie/Black Lab Mix. She LOVES swimming - will hop into the pool every chance she gets. Which is basically everyday a few times a day.

My issue - the chlorine. Is it okay that she swims every day in it? The Vet has told us that her swimming in the pool occasionally is fine because there isn't enough chlorine to harm her. Of course we block access to the stairs when we shock it and do the usual upkeep for at least 24-48 hours. And is it acceptable just to wash her down with just water at the end of the day? Or do i have to use shampoo & condition to wash her down?

I don't want to wash her too much but it worries me that the chlorine will dry her skin out so i use this organic mango conditioner after her bath for skin that works fantastic but than again I'm worried i could be harming more than helping with the stuff i put on her.

IMG_1127.jpg

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
1. Ask the Vet why she cannot swim in the pool everyday, b/c you 'do laps everyday' ... ? I don't know that chlorine is any more harmful to dogs than people?
2. I recommend a shampoo-less washdown. I believe the major problem with shampooing more than once a week is washing off the oils. I think that many purebred, black labs will have a very shiny coat, especially if brushed regularly. This is due to high oil content, which is very protective.
3. I live near the beach, and lots of folks take their dogs into the ocean, regularly with no issues. But, I don't know the difference between chlorine and salt water on dogs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts