Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoey was spay last Tuesday on the 12th, and we brought her home again on Wednesday. The vet said not to bathe her or let her swim for 10 days. Today however (day 6) she got too excited while she was laying on her back, and pee'd all over herself :( I put her in the tub and started carefully washing off just her back legs, when I noticed this big red splotch on her skin on the back of one of her legs. It's VERY bright, rich red.. like paint on her skin, only it seems to be under the skin. Upon further examination, we found these spots ALL OVER her. Most of them are on her body, and she has one above each eye. Strangely enough, there are none on her stomach where they shaved to spay her. Some of the splotches are just shapeless splotches about the size of a pea, but some of them are big rings with smaller dots in the middle (similar to ringworm) They are very very bright red though. She didn't have these a week ago when I gave her a bath the day before she got spay, but we just noticed them tonight so I'm un-sure as to how long they have been there.

She also got a fresh dose of Frontline Plus yesterday.. she's had that before and never had any reactions before, or at least we've never noticed it before. It hasn't effected her in any other way than just having spots on her. She still eats and plays normal, she's her normal self.

I tried to call the vet as soon as I found them, but they are already closed. I'm going to bring her in tomorrow morning as soon as they open and hope that someone there will know what it is. I haven't been able to find anything so far online about what it could be, but I thought I'd check here and see if anybody has any answers for me. Maybe help me get some ideas for her vet if he doesn't know either. I got some pictures of them, though they didn't turn out very well (indoors with a wiggly dog).

This is one of the smaller splotches..

and this one has a small one and a bigger ringworm-like one down and to the right of the small one. It's a little bit hard to see.

Thanks for any ideas guys! She's got me worried :(

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm curious to know what your vet tells you tomorrow. Bubba get's something similar to this right before his allergies. Let us know what the vet tells you tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright well I got a hold of the vet this morning, and as soon as I said "She's covered in red blotches" the vet started describing the exact spots she has. He said I was already the third call today and that there is some sort of bug outside in the grass that bites dogs and leaves these marks on them. Apparently the newest bites are the small pea sized ones, and they will grow into the shape of the Bulls-eye ones, and then go away. He told me I don't need to bring her in and it's nothing to worry about unless she starts getting irritated by them, at which point he would give me some benadryl for her. So.. Good news then I guess :) It fits right on because she was out in the grass pretty much all weekend while we were outside landscaping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts