Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always kind of wondered this. I had a friend this summer who insisted dogs should be on leash first in case they react badly to another dog, but we know dogs on leash can behave very differently and this isn't really ideal (particularly for Quill, since he's a leash reactive dog!).

In the past, we just let Quill and the other dog go say hi and do their thing. Quill has always been submissive to other dogs and plays very well with them in general, so we've never had an issue. He says hi, if the other dog gets snippy, Quill slinks away and comes back to me. If not, Quill and other dog play and have a grand old time. Granted, this isn't us letting him say hi to EVERY dog or some random dog. It is him meeting friends' or family dogs, so dogs we generally know their personality and how they do with other dogs.

I ask now because my technician this summer has a small, older dog she wants to bring to the house some weekends, which I don't really have an issue with, but since Quill will be living there full time I also would want to make sure he's okay with the dog. And outside of my mom's dachshunds and one small dog at a dog park ages ago, Quill hasn't really met many small dogs. Similarly, my friend has a shiba she is bringing over to our house to meet Quill, so not AS small, but still small.

How do you go about your dog meeting dogs? What is the "correct" way? Do you do anything differently for an 80 lb dog meeting a small dog?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quill's history with other dogs is fantastic. He gets a little more "short" with puppies, but still nothing that concerns me. He had an 8 month old cattle dog x who had little socialization he played with beautifully outside, but inside she harassed him endlessly so he would go through the warnings -- growl, then if ignored, snap (but without contact). But we would always intervene because she was terrible at reading his signals. And on off leash walks when we encounter puppies he is always more willing to be a bit pushy with them vs older dogs. But aside from puppies, he is super submissive.

My mom has a male dachshund Quill is terrified of because he acts aggressively towards Quill (they've never gotten face to face with each other, but he barks/growls/snaps at Quill), and Quill is super friendly with her female dachshund who is far more timid and will give warning growls which Quill responds great too...so we've never had issues. He's also met dogs off leash on hikes and does fine, and when dogs there have shown more aggressive signs, Quill is first to back down and willing to run back to me no issues when I call. He has never been the dog to keep going if things escalate.

That's how I was thinking of it Canyx, as more of a "no right way". Sure, for dogs who are fine meeting dogs on leash, a loose leash IS probably good so you can pull away easily if it went badly. But for a leash reactive dog, not so much. If I even so much as hold Quill back when he sees another dog, he's going to bark and seem crazy, and the moment I let go he runs over and greets appropriately. So other dogs tend to accept him more easily in his off-leash version than the restrained version. And the shiba seems like the kind of dog Quill will either be afraid of, or get along with great, because she describes him as having a big dog attitude. She says he does fine with other dogs but is definitely the dominant one generally.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts