Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lady I was friends with passed away a few weeks ago and left behind 6 birds and 7 dogs. They are really nice dogs, but now they are in search of a new home. We have gotten homes for all but 3 of them (family members) and I don't want to put a post up at Craig's List or any of those tacky places where you have to worry about how these dogs are being taken care of. So, what do you guys recommend? Like I said, they are nice dogs and they deserve a nice home! (Anyone on here from Panama City, FL looking for a great dog?) Just kidding...............:D

·
Registered
823 Posts
Maybe you could contact a local rescue and ask them to post the dogs on their petfinder/adoption site as a courtesy listing. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Well I would recommend putting an ad up on Craigs list (yes it can be super tacky), but you can make it a great ad and tell the story... and maybe have a slight re homing fee that would insure that they are going to a good home that cares. Let them know that you or someone else will have to do a home check maybe?

That is basically the way we do it with our shelter SPCA dogs. Maybe put an ad in the paper... go the local vets and let them know the story of what happened and that these dogs need GOOD homes. Vets know what owners really care for their animals... so maybe they can make suggestions to the people that come in.

Maybe that is a start? In the end... YOU will be able to make sure the home is safe... I would really recommend a home check for every potential new home. :)

Maybe even look for a nearby rescue or shelter... talk to them as well and ask for advice and maybe they will even know people that can take them in?
Good Luck!
nessa

·
Registered
246 Posts
I second the motion to contact

1) rescue orgs in your area
2) rescue orgs of that particular breed (assuming they are purebred; if not, refer to 1).

Our rescue encounters this kind of situation 5-6 times a year. After checking the dog out (general health, temprament, etc) the least we do is offer a referral listing on our website, petfinder.com, adopt-a-thon events, . If we have foster home space we'll take the dog in.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
:eek: DANG! That's a lot of pets she was caring for! What kinds of birds, may I ask? Not that I need anymore birds, just curious.
I do know what you mean about being reluctant to post an ad to re-home a pet.
That's a pretty sad situation, it sounds like, but you seem to be doing well so far. I can't anything more than what others have suggested - good luck!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Take them to my grandmother's house in Niceville. One look and she might be hooked. XD

No, I'm just kidding! She doesn't need anymore animals. =<

I would think Craigslist and other similar sites would be a good place to start, as well as the other idea suggested here.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Craigs list is not that bad to re-home a pet. I found Lola on craigslist. What I would do is post an ad on craigslist with pictures and a very detailed description of each one such as there personality, quirks, spayed and neutered or not, up to date on shots or not. Ask for a small rehoming fee, get vet references from the prospective owners, personal references and do a home check and make sure that the home and people are right for the dog.

You might also ask the prospective owner if they would mind if you dropped by once in a while to make sure that it is a good fit for them and the dog. This way you can see for yourself how the dog is being taken care of and if there are any problems of them keeping the dog then make sure that you are willing to take them back to find a better home for them if the home does not work out. Also make it clear to them if that if you feel the dog is not being taken care of that you would take the dog back. I am sure you know what each particular dogs needs are and you can use that to assess the new home and new owners.

You could then take the re-homing fee if you would like to and donate it in your name or the new owners name to your local shelter or in this day and age of the economy pay some bills off.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I rehomed a dog through craigslist once and it was ok. I got a few weird responses, like "I'm interested, I'll come get the dog tomorrow...." and someone from out of state that wanted to drive 12 hours to get what was basically a dog that could be found in any shelter in the country. But I had two or three legitimate responses and I found her a good home. Just screen people very well, ask alot of questions, google them, talk to them on the phone, go to their house and check the place out when you drop off the dog.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:eek: DANG! That's a lot of pets she was caring for! What kinds of birds, may I ask? Not that I need anymore birds, just curious.
There were 2 Umbrella Cockatoos, 1 Amazon (I am really not sure what kind, I think he is a Lilac Crown?), 2 cockatiels (one of which is the sweetest bird I have ever met and I use to raise birds, so that says a lot, lol) and the other was a sun conure. All of the birds are really nice birds and I ended up with most of them.

I think I am going to do what many of you have suggested and run an ad. I will also be doing a home inspection and asking a lot of questions. It is just a little scary to me with out there getting pets to try and "flip". I don't want that to happen to any of these dogs! It's bad enough that their human mom has died and they have to leave their home and be split up, but I would just freak out on someone if they got one and then tried to sell it.

All of the dogs are full blooded dogs with the exception of one. There are 3 toy poodles, 1 cocker spaniel, a Welch corgi, a min pin and a terrier mix. All but 1 of them are s/n and that 1 that isn't is pregnant. She is one of the toy poodles but she is really small, she may be a tea cup? I don't know, I am really not the educated on the small breeds, but she has been bred to a little yorkie. I am seriously thinking about keeping her, but I don't want to have puppies. Having puppies goes against everything I believe in, especially mix breed puppies. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to find homes for these sweet babies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts