Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My dog is getting old and is struggling with walking. In the mornings when he wakes up, hes like an old man and really slow. He has good days and bad days. I give him joint supps, i feed him Barking Heads with chicken and other meats and he gets gentle exercise every day. Hes an 11 year old GSD.

Im looking at buying him a harness where maybe i can give him a lending hand so ones with handles would be good. Any ideas please and experiences on the harness.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shell. You know.. i looked at these first but because the handles are placed in the middle, its not suitable for him. I was looking at the Care-Lift rear harness lift but it makes my dog look like a disabled dog. Thats what i was trying to avoid doing, whereas the Ruffwear looks good but isn't practical. Thanks for coming back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just seen this one on the internet when i entered 'dog harness for back leg support' that looks really good from www.quincysdogs.com. Its called the GenX and may be perfect as it looks like a normal harness and has handles at the back, but i wanted to see if anyones ever tried it. Any feedback would be good. Thank you

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
A friend of mine used a Ruffwear webmaster harness for her large dog with a weak rear end. Because of the position and angle of that third lower strap, the handle in the middle actually does allow you to support the back end as well. She's a rather short person with a tall 70lb dog and it still did the job well.

·
Registered
608 Posts
We've always just used a towel under the hips for our oldies. It helps them get enough momentum to get up and walk a few steps that when you drop it away they can keep going on their own if they are physically able. I can't imagine that an older dog in pain wants to really be maneuvered around to put a harness down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the Ruffwear Webmaster and i have one thing to say - it was rubbish!! If you want a harness for an active dog that you are constantly lifting up and down logs, then the Ruffwear is okay. If you want to lift your old dog and want a harness that has the lifting handle placed in the middle of a dogs back and you want to damage his spine - buy the Ruffwear harness! By the way does anyone want to buy a size large Rufwear webmaster?

It was a total waste of money for my boy. Money is no object for my boy and i would spend my last penny on him and then sell myself to protect him. All i really want is something that works. If a towel was the best thing for him then thats fine, but i take him for three 20 minute walks a day, and the rest of the time hes in the office all day sitting at my feet. Maybe its just me, but i dont want him to get old. I also dont want him looking like hes an old dog and got some problem and thats why i was prepared to give the Ruffwear harness a try cause it looked good on the internet pictures.

Ive checked with Quincys and they confirmed that the GenX launch date is 1st Dec, so i think I may wait for this. They have another harness which they sell currently specifically for mobility. Its more expensive but, its not the price that's a problem - i just like the look of the GenX. It looks very bulky and navy seal'ish. Would you guys please have a look and tell me what you think of this other harness called the 'Spero'. 'Spero harness to help dogs get mobile again'

When i spoke to them, they actually recommended the Spero but to be honest, i prefer the GenX more for design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts