Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got an adult Basset hound. She is 3 years old, and very sweet, but has been having some issues. I'm thinking that she's needing to adjust, but would like to know what can be expected or what is normal for older dogs in a new environment. We have a vet appointment set up for this week, so the things I am going to bring up will not be only addressed by the folks here. Just want to know what to relax about and what may be more worthy of concern. She is not eating very much, but she is eating about .75 to a cup of dry food a day. She's been completely fine about our two adult cats. She just about ignores them, but this morning she jumped out of a near sleep and lunged at one of them walking by. Seems like she is having tummy troubles. I'm going to bring all of this up to the vet, but am wondering if dogs have tummy troubles like people do sometimes because of stress and just trying to adapt to a new environment. My spouse has been getting really stressed by all of this. His reactions combined with the dogs tummy troubles are going to give me tummy troubles soon! Our dog is eating and drinking. She's passing food and urinating. She's active and she seems to be playful. Is it horrible of me to not be as stressed as my spouse?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I've been told it takes a dog two weeks to settle into a new environment and 4 weeks before you see their real personality. I think you and your husband both are a little too worried about this. :) As long as she's eating regularly let her be and let her adjust. Don't hesitate to bring up any questions with your vet though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think she's trying to figure things out and you'll probably notice her behavior changing as she learns the new rules. I've also heard that you should give them about 2 weeks to adjust. If you're feeding her different food than what's she used to it's very common for them to have an upset stomach for a while.

Congrats on your new girl!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, folks! It's really interesting to do this with my spouse. We are old time cat people - very knowledgeable about cats. We are just thrilled to have expanded the family to our sweet dog, and it's difficult for both of us to be in such new territory. We're so used to knowing what to do with the cats. I think it's going to take all of us, dog included, at least two weeks to settle into this. And I'm sure both of our behaviors will change as well as the dogs as we ALL get used to the new rules. What an amazing journey this will be!!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Don't worry about it. A dog takes time to settle into a completely new environment. She may be lethargic or fearful, and may shy away from attention. She may seek out a "den" which is usually an enclosed space (like her crate or bed, if you have one) where she feels less vulnerable. She may also have a diminished appetite. All these are symptomatic of transitioning into a new home. They should gradually fade away with time and they should not drastically impact her health. No need to panic, just treat her as you normally would. Don't coddle her or pressure her to spend time with you. Dogs adapt quickly, and well.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Make sure you bring a fecal sample in to your vet. It's possible that your dog could have some type of parasite/worm, which could cause tummy troubles.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Cats will taunt dogs and sometimes all it takes is a certain look so, don't be too quick to blame her. My cat ambushes both of our dogs....swats at them and the chase (very short lived) is on.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well you did say a near sleep she woke up and lunged that's self explanatory. None of us wake up with full faculties (wait at least I don't) that's not a big deal. The tummy stuff can also be caused by a water change. If you have a vet you trust let him be your guide. The rest is time and patience, it's comparable to you making a quick move to China and at least you would know why the move happened. Your whole system could go astray.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts