Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night while I was in the tub, I had put down 2 pee pads for my 15 week old JRT. Well, while i was soaking away she pood (normal poo). The next thing I see is she is picking up her poo's very gently and carrying them to the other pad!?!? my mom thinks that she might be treating them like pups? I guess she could be right? This is my first female dog so I'm really puzzled. I ended up flushing the poo and giving her a toy that was on the counter.

Soo any guesses as to why? Should she still be to young to be maternal?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm probably not the best person to answer this as I have male dogs that were both older when we adopted them, but one of mine used to carry around his poo like that. At first he would eat it, but then he realized I didn't like it. He was kept in a crate basically his first two years of life so we think he used to eat his poo because he would have to do that to keep his cage clean (he was in a puppy mill). After we broke him of eating it, he would still grab it in his mouth and run off with it in an effort to get me to chase him (his favorite game). If she was just carrying it to the other pad, I suppose that might be her version of tidying up. Hopefully someone else with experience with young, female puppies will have some other insight.

I think you did the correct thing by correcting her and giving her something else of more value. Have you taught her "drop it" or "leave it"? We use "drop it" when they already have something offending in their mouths and "leave it" when they have that look like they are going to pick it up. Those commands will help in future situations like this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts