Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We adopted Dessa from the Humane society 11 months ago. At that time she was 2 months old and 10 pounds. We were told that she was a apbt. As she is getting older we believe that she may possibly be mixed with something else. She is now just over a year old, 60 pounds, very tall, and very lean and athletic. She is Black with a reddish brown undertone. She has a ton of energy, loves to swim, loves every dog and every person she meet. She can run circles around you and jump onto a table from a standing position. She is a beautiful dog. We think she may possibly be a Pit bull Greyhound or Whippet mix. What do you think?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hi Dessa,

I've had 3 Greyhounds and volunteer with several different Greyhound-specific rescue groups, doing a bit of fostering and outreach. To be honest, I don't see Grey or Whippet at all. A lot of athletic dogs have high tuck-ups and long legs--not just sighthounds. I see it a lot in taller pits and labs. Dessa could just come from rangy parents. :)

The AKC Greyhound world is very small, responsible and tight-knit- I doubt any would allow that type of mix breeding (Whippets more so). Track Greyhounds get neutered and spayed almost immediately when retired (or are speutered when they get into the rescue groups after waiting at the track holding kennels).

There ARE a small contingent of people who raise "Coyote Greyhounds" (or Long Dogs) out west for hunting and Greyhound mix (Lurchers) in the UK but I don't see it at all in your dog. Greys seem to throw very greyhoundy (needle-nosed) heads in their progeny, even when mixed as lurchers or longdogs- at least from what I've seen. Here are some examples of what Greyhound Mixes look like... http://halfpinthaven.tripod.com/id34.html

She looks like a pure bully breed/Pit to me. :)

Jen

1 - 2 of 2 Posts