Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my puppy sometime during March. I fell in love at first site! However, I have no idea what breed he is. I know he is mixed, but I have no idea what the dominant breed is. I was hoping if some of you all can help me identify his characteristics and help me come close to a type of breed. Please let me know your thoughts! Please and thank you in advanced!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Pretty pup.

How old is he? How big is he? Black with tan points is a common coloration in many breeds, ranging from toy sized to giant sized.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is going to be 7 months in 4 days. To give you an idea of how big he is, I will compare his size to a medium sized harness. When I first adopted him, he was about to be 4 months old. I had bought the medium sized harness when he was 5 months old and it fit him loosely, so I saved it for when he would grow into it. I decided to put the harness on him last week (at 6 months and 3 weeks old) and it fit him perfectly and it was a tiny bit too tight but not tight enough to hurt him. He is still a puppy so I do not doubt he will keep growing in size. To give you another perspective on his size, I'll give you his weight. He weighed 24 pounds about a month ago. Right now I believe he is between 30-40 pounds. The first 2 pics are not recent, they are around 2 months old, but the last pic was taken around last week.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
So rather medium sized, then. Maybe some Australian Cattle dog in there somewhere?

Harness sizes are kind of nuts, by the way. My 35 pound pittie wears an extra small in one brand, a small in another, and a medium in a third brand.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Probably more than 2 breeds in the mix.

Are you in the US South? I see hound dog in the ears and muzzle shape. Something like maybe cattle dog/ GSD/beagle maybe.

Cute pup anyways round. If you are really curious, sometimes the dog DNA tests show up on sale and can go for $60-70 if you have some "fun money" to play with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I do live in the US South, way down south. Do you think that the results will be accurate if I do a DNA test? If so, which one would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
They have improved from the time I did a (really) cheap one on my dog years ago. I'm still laughing over the fact that my 22' tall, 48#, turn on a dime and hand you nine cents change at a gallop, and clear a 6' high fence in once leap Ilka was supposedly mostly Bulldog.

From a vet I know who studies genetics, the Mars Wisdom Panel tests for more breeds but fewer markers, while the Embark test includes slightly fewer breeds but more markers. Unless you suspect a rare breed in your dog's make-up, the Embark test is going to probably be more accurate according to her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts