Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just recently adopted what I was told is a husky/shepherd mix. But his tail doest curl at all and I've never seen either breed of dog with yellow eyes before. And I'm not talking a golden brown, I mean yellow, like.....a banana I suppose. There are some pics below. I cant say for sure that he's wolf cause his paws are so small, but I get a lot of comments about him, and of his eyes the most Can you tell me your opinions???

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd believe it, especially if you've no reason to believe that he's a 1st gen mix of purebreds. Perhaps both or either parent had a little something else in them, that could help explain some of the randomness. I'd look up some of the more popular northern breeds though. I'd guess if he's mixed with something else, it's long those lines. Stunning dog, though, no matter what he is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, yes he is a very pretty boy. We got him three months ago from a shelter that picked him up as a stray with suspected abuse due to how skiddish and skinny he is. He's gained ten lbs since we got him though. So far the only things I've come up with as far as his breed is maybe some low wolf content or maybe coyote, his legs are very close together and he can move, very fast, but the way he trots when walking reminds me of wolf or coyote too

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The sunlight makes his eyes appear lighter - I'd say he's a purebred Siberian honestly with amber eyes.

Very handsome.

·
Registered
259 Posts
They exhaust. Perhaps not the most common, but they do exist. Google "husky yellow eyes" and you'll find several sources.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
he is a pretty pretty dog indeed! You could send a message to Cindy here on these forums, she might be able to help determine whether he is a possible wolf content dog.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I'm going to guess low content wolfdog. Just something about the overall face shape and then the ears- very hairy and thick looking.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
The only think that makes me think he isn't a pure Sibe is the length of his hair. I feel that's where the shepherd part would come in.
Huskies' tails don't really curl. They often curl when in movement or at attention (my husky only drops her tail when she's relaxed or extremely focused on something. she's poorly bred) If his tail never curls, then there's another evidence of shepherd.
The dog has no wolf in him, I'm eager to report.
Huskies and Shepherds have very thick, well furred ears.

Regardless of whether or not you've got a pure husky, or a husky mix, you have an extremely handsome dog on your hands.

·
Registered
509 Posts
What a beautiful dog! He is so lucky to have found you! I adopted a Siberian Husky about 3 years ago & they are the greatest dogs! My huskies tail curls almost all the time, when he's scared it goes down. I don't think he has wolf in him, he really looks 100% Sibe to me. Love him & enjoy him, they really are great dogs! :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
He definitely is wolfy lookin, I guess its probably not completely out of the question that he could possibly be a very low content wolf dog mix, but I do see the Sibe ears, and I'm thinking also, he could possibly be mixed with white shepherd (not sure if they have an actual breed name ?) but I have seen a white sibe/white shepherd mix at the dog park before and it did look strikingly similar to your pup, but not as 'wolfy' lookin as your boy, that's for sure.

Regardless, he is a GORGEOUS dog, congrats ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They exhaust. Perhaps not the most common, but they do exist. Google "husky yellow eyes" and you'll find several sources.
Can you give me links? Cuz all im seeing are normal huskies with normal eyes. the closest I see is one with amber eyes, and I'm tellin you his eyes are yellow not gold or amber.

Everyone else, thanks for all the compliments on my boy. As for his tail, it does not curl at all, even when his tail is wagging. I'll try posting a video and link it so you all can see what i mean. As for his ears, they arent as short as a husky's ears and certainly not as long as a shepherd. I personally dont see any shepherd n him, but thats why I'm asking for comments. The place I got him him from said he is NOT pure husky or else his adoption fee would have been a lot more and I know for a fact all huskys tend to have that curl in their tail at some point during their, day. Mine boy's tail doesnt curl at all
'

·
Registered
792 Posts
Can you give me links? Cuz all im seeing are normal huskies with normal eyes. the closest I see is one with amber eyes, and I'm tellin you his eyes are yellow not gold or amber.
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/texx-wolf-tails/photos/Wolfy-Looking-DOGS/Husky_yellow-eyes.jpg

This one is a GSD/Malamute EDIT- it appears they're not sure whether it's crossed with husky or malamute:
http://texx-wolf-tails.webs.com/GSD_MALMUTEMIXdsfdsfsd.jpg

The blue looks eerily intense on this one
http://wallpaperwise.com/uploads/wa...g_normal_56771ef4af71cf7106e3eb2163698a7d.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The first link is the most similar, the others not so much, they look amber/brownish to me. But the first one is a very good match ^^ yay now I know theres another husky in the world with yellow eyes

·
Registered
792 Posts
Really? I thought the first looked least yellow. The second seems like it's got pure bright yellow shooting out of his eye sockets. Haha

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nah the second looks more golden brown to me. but thats just me, the first one is a perfect match to how Kiba's eyes look in lower lighting

1 - 20 of 25 Posts