Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, until recently, I never really knew there was a sort of... discrimination against black dogs.
I've seen several rescues for black dogs specifically, saw something on TV about black dogs being hard to adopt out, and read a few things about them being undesirable.
WUT. D:
When did this become the norm? Has it always been this way? What's wrong with them? D:

I guess I'm just a little confused... I mean, I get a lot of laughs when people see me walking Aleu and Diesel, as she's completely white and he's mostly black, and on a recent hike a got a few comments about him being confused with a bear cub, but I never had any idea people didn't like black dogs because of their color.
Has anyone with a black dog experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's known as Black Dog Syndrome.

When you place a black dog next to a lighter colored dog, your eyes are immediately focused on the lighter colored dog first. When people are looking for a dog to adopt, it is often a very emotional decision and they are looking for a face to fall in love with. Many times people fall in love with the lighter colored dog or the dog with unusual markings without ever noticing the black dog next to it.

I really don't think it's so much a discrimination thing, or that people don't like black dogs. A dogs coat color has no effect on the dogs temperament and personality. Black dogs are just as playful and loving and fun as dogs of other colors. I think they just accidentally get overlooked. A lot of kennels/shelters are dark/shadowy. If a black dog is standing in the back of a kennel, potential adopters may not even realize he is there.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Yeah, I don't think it's purposeful discrimination, like the discrimination against pit bulls for instance. Black dogs just don't look as flashy, it's harder to see their facial expressions, harder to get good photographs of them, etc etc. So there is a problem with them not getting adopted because they don't "compete" well with lighter dogs, but I don't think anyone really thinks, "Man, I just hate black dogs."

·
Registered
259 Posts
I really don't think it's so much a discrimination thing, or that people don't like black dogs. A dogs coat color has no affect on the dogs temperament and personality. Black dogs are just as playful and loving and fun as dogs of other colors. I think they just accidentally get overlooked. A lot of kennels/shelters are dark/shadowy. If a black dog is standing in the back of a kennel, potential adopters may not even realize he is there.
This. Pretty well exactly. Easy to overlook black dogs. It's nothing new; some people just don't realize that it's the case.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suppose that makes sense. I would certainly hope nobody makes the conscious decision not to take on a black dog just because of the color.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I will say that I have noticed in my short time working at a shelter that when we get litters of puppies in and there are black pups in the litter they are the last to go. Now, if the litter is entirely black they all go fairly rapidly, but if there are other coat colors they typically are not the first to go. Kind of goes for any thing really, though. We have a litter of Dachshund mixes right now and the more unique coat colors went first, and now the tan colored pups are starting to go a week after their colorful counter parts.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I wish rescues would use T shirts or bandanas on the black dogs to give them more color contrast/make them stand out. They would photograph better, and with the variety of bandanas, you could show their personality more.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I wish rescues would use T shirts or bandanas on the black dogs to give them more color contrast/make them stand out. They would photograph better, and with the variety of bandanas, you could show their personality more.
At work we just got in a bunch of colorful "Adopt me" t-shirts, even huge ones for the big guys. And of course holiday photos get creative..

Admittedly when prospective families are touring the kennel, I'll go into the kennels of long timers and pet/play with them in hopes that someone seeing them up and off their bed and interacting with someone will make them more interesting. It's easy with puppies- they flock to the doors and are precious. Adults that have been there a while aren't interested in leaping up every time someone walks by.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have heard various reasons from rescues as to why black dogs are harder to adopt ranging from black being associated with evil to black hair showing up more on light colored furniture. Who knows. I can honestly say that I have never chosen a dog based on looks. It would never occur to me. I choose a dog based on their energy level and temperment. Perhaps that is why nearly every dog that I have owned has been black. Ironically black is my favorite color for a dog because nothing shines like a well groomed black dog.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I have heard various reasons from rescues as to why black dogs are harder to adopt ranging from black being associated with evil to black hair showing up more on light colored furniture. Who knows. I can honestly say that I have never chosen a dog based on looks. It would never occur to me. I choose a dog based on their energy level and temperment. Perhaps that is why nearly every dog that I have owned has been black. Ironically black is my favorite color for a dog because nothing shines like a well groomed black dog.
I'm definitely one of those folks that just really doesn't care about what my dog looks like. I obviously have hound preferences, but my dogs range GREATLY in looks. We've got a dog at work that is a long timer and I don't get it. He walks great on a leash, even keeled, well mannered, and HOUSE TRAINED. Hello every thing I like in a dog. If I were looking to adopt he would be the one I take.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Here around they say it's because people are more afraid of black dogs. That somehow lighter colored dogs seem 'nicer' and friendlier. I have a rottie so I know all about people being afraid of my dog. I often have a bandana on her (usually pink, lol) to 'soften' her look a little and it seems to work. We meet much more smiling people on our outings and it's not as often people cross the street when they see us when she has her bandana on.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Here around they say it's because people are more afraid of black dogs. That somehow lighter colored dogs seem 'nicer' and friendlier. I have a rottie so I know all about people being afraid of my dog. I often have a bandana on her (usually pink, lol) to 'soften' her look a little and it seems to work. We meet much more smiling people on our outings and it's not as often people cross the street when they see us when she has her bandana on.
Yes, I had heard of "discrimination" against black dogs, but it was because people were more afraid of them, not because they didn't stand out enough. I could see both reasons being the case, silly as they both are.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It's like that were i live too, i see nothing wrong with black dogs, i used to have a Lurcher called Bella, and she was a black dog with some white on her, there were other colours in her litter, but i wanted a black dog.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd heard this only recently, the Humane Society I volunteer at has 2 dogs that have been there since October, one black, one a light brown. The black labs seem to go quickly. That said, I have 3 dogs-2 mostly black and one black and white with a little more black than white, I personally am drawn to the black ones.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have noticed that people are much more leery of my black dog than they are of my others. People go out of their way to avoid Heather, who is the sweetest dog I have, and she is just a beagle/lab mix and only about 40 lbs. Nothing scary about her. On the other hand, people are dying to see Moe, even when he is growling and showing his teeth at them. Go figure.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
At work we just got in a bunch of colorful "Adopt me" t-shirts, even huge ones for the big guys. And of course holiday photos get creative..

Admittedly when prospective families are touring the kennel, I'll go into the kennels of long timers and pet/play with them in hopes that someone seeing them up and off their bed and interacting with someone will make them more interesting. It's easy with puppies- they flock to the doors and are precious. Adults that have been there a while aren't interested in leaping up every time someone walks by.
Love that pic!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts