Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the goal of house training to get the puppy to not pee/poo in the house, or is it to get the puppy to pee/poo on a schedule? Is it the latter in order to get to the former?

The reason I ask is that I'm finding it hard to get to a schedule during the day (not hard at night). Some pees/poos are somewhat random (not immediately after eating/drinking/sleeping/playing). No accidents recently as my 14 week old puppy does give clear signals on the need to go out. So I feel like we're succeeding in terms of no poop/pee in the house, but not so much in terms of regularity.

I could increase the frequency of taking her out, but her she isn't consistent: sometimes every 15 min, sometimes every hour. So taking her out every 15 min probably would't results in peeing a lot of the time. Or do I just continue to be a bit flexible during the daytimes (schedule with addition of when she asks) as her body matures and hope that the nighttime scheduling has some overall impact on control/regularity?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The goal of house training is to get the puppy to not have accidents in the house while they have little or no control of their bladders and no reliable warning system for when they need to go. This is achieved by maintaining a proper schedule.

14 weeks of age is very young. Puppies don't generally have the neurological development to have a reliable warning system for when they need to go until they're 6 months of age. So if you aren't taking your puppy outside frequently to give her the chance to eliminate, accidents in the house may occur as a result.

If she's giving you a reliable warning now and isn't having any accidents then go with that. If she starts having accidents, I would recommend taking her out every 30 minutes on the dot, even if she only actually eliminates one out of every three trips outside.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts