Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I want to apologize if this question has been asked 10,000 times. I have never been on a forum before and don't know how to navigate them yet.

I have a 9 month old Dachshund named Dillinger who I am wanting to switch to a healthier food. He is my very first dog and when I got him he was eating purina puppy chow so we just kept him on it, thinking it was healthy for him since it is one of the best selling brands there is and our vet said it was a good choice. Recently however he hasn't been wanting to eat as much as he normally does so I took him to the vet. He is a dog that always wants to eat and he'd walk up to his food and then just walk away after sniffing it. It was very unlike him to do. The vet said there was nothing he could find wrong with him and he would probably just start eating again on his own when he wanted to. He still eats, but he doesn't get as excited about it as he once did and he just doesn't seem like he wants to eat half the time which is very unlike him. I think it's because he doesn't like his food as much anymore and after looking into the ingredients more, I understand why. So i'm trying to figure out what would be a good food choice for a 9 month old dachshund. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
A nine month old pup has done most of his growing and may not need as much food! Drop his feed to what he wants to eat and see if he maintains his condition. Remember it is far healthier for him to be slim rather than plump.

For kibble lots of posters here like Acana, Orijen, Go Natural, Taste of the Wild, Wellness Core. Lots of great dog kibbles out there if you get to a feed store or specialty store. Even Petco and Petsmart have better foods now but if you price shop you may find the smaller stores have better prices.

One problem with the super duper foods is the amount fed. I failed at EVO, one of the very first super duper grain free kibbles because the amount Max needed was less than what I fed and he never stopped having soft poop. A little guy like yours would probably only need about a 1/2 cup for the whole day!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Puppy Chow, as you seem to know, is FULL of grains, preservatives, and ingredients that will make him alot more prone to cancers, diabetis, and other health problems! I would go with a grain free kibble, especially with a doxie since they're one of the few small breeds that can be prone to bloat! You don't want to feed any breed that's prone to bloat "filler food" that will extend the stomach!

I'd recommend Acana, Orijen, Pinnacle, Taste of the Wild, one of Canidae's grain free options, or Go Natural. I don't recommend EVO, Proctor and Gamble took them over, and I'll be shocked that, even if the ingredients don't change, the quality of the ingredients will. They like to mess up dog food to maximize their profit! I'd also look at the calories per cup, start with one in the moderate range since your doxie doesn't seem to be wanting to eat much, and see if he maintains his weight. If he does, you've found a good match, if not, go to one higher calorie per cup so he'll get more calories and nutrition in a smaller amount.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I don't recommend EVO, Proctor and Gamble took them over, and I'll be shocked that, even if the ingredients don't change, the quality of the ingredients will.
When did this change happen? I feed EVO to my two, but I'm looking at other options since I'm bringing a puppy into the house. Perhaps this is good timing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When did this change happen? I feed EVO to my two, but I'm looking at other options since I'm bringing a puppy into the house. Perhaps this is good timing.
About a year ago. I think it was may last year or something the buy out happened if I remember right. http://blog.timesunion.com/petsandvets/384/proctor-gamble-buys-natura-pet-foods/ Here's one of many articles on the sell out. Personally I'm disappointed :( I use to feed Evo to my old cat, but as soon as I heard P&G bought them out, I switched, they are one company I just refuse to support!

·
Registered
529 Posts
First off I want to apologize if this question has been asked 10,000 times. I have never been on a forum before and don't know how to navigate them yet.

I have a 9 month old Dachshund named Dillinger who I am wanting to switch to a healthier food. He is my very first dog and when I got him he was eating purina puppy chow so we just kept him on it, thinking it was healthy for him since it is one of the best selling brands there is and our vet said it was a good choice. Recently however he hasn't been wanting to eat as much as he normally does so I took him to the vet. He is a dog that always wants to eat and he'd walk up to his food and then just walk away after sniffing it. It was very unlike him to do. The vet said there was nothing he could find wrong with him and he would probably just start eating again on his own when he wanted to. He still eats, but he doesn't get as excited about it as he once did and he just doesn't seem like he wants to eat half the time which is very unlike him. I think it's because he doesn't like his food as much anymore and after looking into the ingredients more, I understand why. So i'm trying to figure out what would be a good food choice for a 9 month old dachshund. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
A 9 month old puppy does that! It is not unusual for 8-9 month old pups to get picky about their food. Don't assume it's the food.

At the same time I highly advise not feeding your dogs Purina foods. I would suggest a high quality grain free food (we feed Taste of the Wild). At the very least I encourage you not to feed Dog/Puppy Chow which contains some horrible ingredients.

Do NOT try to tempt your dog to eat by adding tasty treats to their food. Doing so will just make a very picky dog when they grow up.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't have anything to add to the great advice already given but I wanted to say that I love
your puppy's name! Very original and so very suitable for a daschund. Have fun!

·
Banned
5 Posts
First thing is i like the name of your puppy. Well in my opinion beans are good food for little puppies. You should give beans to your puppy. It is good and healthy food. I have also a little puppy and i give him beans.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
First thing is i like the name of your puppy. Well in my opinion beans are good food for little puppies. You should give beans to your puppy. It is good and healthy food. I have also a little puppy and i give him beans.
What?? Beans probably won't hurt your dog, but they aren't especially nutritious for them either and would probably just make them gassy. I can't imagine why they would be especially good for puppies either...

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Thanks for informing me and now i will give different variety of foods to my puppy other than beans. Kindly mention some other food.
Dogs are carnivores and should either be eating raw meat, home-cooked foods made up primarily of meat, or a kibble containing a good percentage of meat. Am I misunderstanding you that you've been feeding your puppy exclusively beans? Because that would be an extremely unbalanced diet and harmful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts