Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently became a first time pet owner of 2 maltipoos. They are both healthy and smalll dogs (4 years old). I've been in the practice of giving wet food in the morning and dry food in the evening. I don't know what is a good feeding time. They typically wake me up at 7:30 am and I feed them breakfast around 10:00 am. Then a 2nd meal around 6 pm. They are not super active so it seems 8 hours in between meals seems reasonable. Are these good feeding times?

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,133 Posts
If they're happy with it and it's convenient for you, then it's good.

I've had dogs that if they don't eat by X o'clock, they insist they are starving. They will hound me until I stop what I'm doing and feed them. For those dogs, I split that meal into two separate meals. So if I have been feeding them at 8 am and 8 pm and they "are starving" around 5 pm, I split the 8 pm feeding, giving half at 4 pm and half at 8 pm.

I've had dogs whose bladders/colons didn't coincide with the feeding schedule. If their evening meal was at 8 pm, they had to get up and potty around 3 am. For them, I adjusted the evening meal to 5 pm and they would take their last potty break at midnight.

It's just really arranging it to make it convenient for you while preventing the dogs from "starving" (their word not mine) or needing a middle of the night potty break.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yes, as Toedtoes said, whatever works for you and your dogs. I'm not a morning person and am retired and don't have to be at a job. My dogs eat at noon and about 10 p.m. It's probably not a schedule many use, but it works for us.

·
Administrator
12,462 Posts
I've had dogs (labs and hounds) that knew within five minutes when it was time to eat, and God help anyone who ignored their schedule. My current dog eats when he feels like it and actually prefers to eat in bed (ours) or outdoors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I guess I"m on the right track. As a first time dog owner, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Thanks guys

Right now I am unemployed and in between jobs. Eventually I'll have to find gainful employment so then the feeding time will change. I'm used to working corporate 8 - 5 pm jobs. I'll probably lay out the food in the morning before I leave for work and then feed them when I get back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts