Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
161 - 180 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Don't tell me where you live I swear I will steal this dog from you. He's ADORABLE! Giant Schnauzer?! (guessing)
Hee. Alaska, so we're probably safe. His mom was a Giant Schnauzer, yes, according to the vet records he came with. I don't think he's purebred, though. Too big and spotty. I adopted him as an adult.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Hee. Alaska, so we're probably safe. His mom was a Giant Schnauzer, yes, according to the vet records he came with. I don't think he's purebred, though. Too big and spotty. I adopted him as an adult.
He's absolutely gorgeous!! I love big dogs and the giant schanuzer has a special place in my heart..

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
She is a GODDESS who walks the earth. Her very existence is a marvel to us lesser folk with lesser dogs.

Seriously, dude. I'll meet you on the rare-breed forums with my Dwarf wolf-dog.

No one gives a flying frak if you have a rare breed. A dog is a dog is a dog. Like I said, the only people who will be impressed are idiots, and who cares about the opinions of idiots?

Grey wants to know if he's a teacup high content like her. She said to ask if he's rare as well ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I'm just a lurker on this here community but, OP, I recognized your dog immediately because I remember the thread on the Dutch Shepherd Forum from way back when.

I was going to move on, since we both know well enough that you've dug your heels in, I've been debating not posting this at all, but I can't deny that it's starting to grind on me how adamantly you're presenting your dog as a Dutch Shepherd. Though I will admit I'm actually kind of impressed that you're still chugging along with this delusion all these months later. Dedication.

I was owned by a Dutch Shepherd. Her name is Jolene/Jolie and she is inundated with KNVP lines. There's Maligator in there somewhere, I know it. Her teeth are suspiciously sharp and she liked to go underwater and chomp on your legs. But that's neither here nor there. Your girl – though a lovely specimen! – is nothing if not a glorified mutt. I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but other people's input obviously hasn't left much in the way of an impression so, here I am.

Everyone else has repeatedly pointed out the disqualifying differences in physique and looks so I won't go into it because I know it'd be an exercise in futility. Which, you know, it's your prerogative to ignore the cold hard facts, no skin off my back. But I'm not going to agree that it is fine and dandy to go around telling everyone and their mother that what you have is a Dutch Shepherd. I'll tell you why.

Beeecauuuuuuse.. misrepresentation, that's why. And it tends to be a pearl-clutching event when you're knowingly misidentifying high energy, sensitive, insane but lovable nutjobs like Mals and Dutchies. It's amazing the damage that can be done when you dive into that breed variety unaware that you're investing in what is essentially a German Shepherd on quality crack cocaine.

People who are incompatible with the breed are going to start coming around to thinking this breed is for them because your mix looks a tiny bit similar when you squint and she happens to be easygoing or calm or whatever. It's false advertising, basically. These people often end up with dogs who have unchecked stimulus thresholds, weak nerves, and drive leakage out the wazoo that isn't getting the appropriate amount of attention from people who aren't equipped to handle the dog they have because they had no clue what they were getting themselves into. And all because they had an interaction with one dog who wasn't even the breed they got their hands on.

It's like someone asking to taste your blueberry icecream and then inquiring about what it is because they want the same thing. You tell them it's blackberry, they go and get blackberry icecream... and it's omg AWFUL. They end up leaving their cone half-finished.. melting.. oozing.. tearing up your couch cushions while you have a garage sale...

Look. I know you're holding onto this conviction because they're a "rare" and "exotic" looking breed. I get it, it feels nice when people turn their heads and go on and on about how cool your dog is, and I guess some people feel like it gives them status. But, despite what you want desperately to believe, no matter how hard you try to cram her into this mold she doesn't fit in, like I and everyone else is telling you.. Ginger is not a dutch shepherd.

Go ahead and keep posting photos of her compared to legit Dutchies while saying "ok whatever, but what about NOW?" but… it's not going to change the outcome. You're lying to yourself and you're lying to other people which is worse. I couldn't tell you what kind of mix she is without doubt shading my opinion – hell, I can't even speculate with an honest eye because there is such a diverse pool of COMMON breeds that could pop out a twin to yours. I can think of dozens of possible matches right off the bat because so many breeds come in brindle. It's not really a trait specific to DS and breeders aren't hoarding some secret recipe from everyone else.

And honestly, I could take my mom's creaky old chocolate lab and spin him as the rare and awe-inspiring Willy Wonka Retriever. Come one, come all, behold this magnificent beast! And I'm sure there would be spectators gathering around squinting with an air of vague familiarity.. "Oh yeah, sure, I think I've heard of them. Yeah, that's totally a Willy Wonka Retriever! Hey guys, look at this chick's Willy Wonka retriever! I saw one in the distance this one time. Was it in Alaska? Huh. I think it was a moose. No, wait, yeah. It was definitely a moose. GUYS! This chick's dog has moose in his bloodline!"

There are a lot of people who can't discern characteristics distinctive to any one breed, and I'm even less inclined to believe that you're receiving thousands or even dozens of confirmations from the public that you were right all along about this one very specific, very uncommon dog breed. If there are ~thousands~ of people in kansas telling you with no uncertainty that she is a Dutch shepherd, I want to know what's in the water on your inch of the country. Maybe forage through your woods for some.. edible… plants...

Jokes aside, what anyone thinks ultimately doesn't change the fact that my mom's dog is just an ordinary, creaky old chocolate lab. And there's nothing wrong with that. Zip. Zilch. Nada. It's perfectly great, he's a great dog and people give him LOTS of attention. Not because he's a Willy Wonka Retriever, but because he's an outgoing dog who loves everyone he meets. Awesomely, fantastically ordinary. I don't know what's so bad about that.

But hey, if you do your research and find that DS are a match for what you want in a dog, go for it. But don't do it for the wrong reasons. They are splendid dogs for the right person. And for that person, it's all over. They're hooked on that crack cocaine forever and for always. They'll try to make you go to rehab but you'll say no... no.. noo.....

Anyway, sorry for the lengthiness and even sorrier if it's cluttered, I am dead tired.

And because you asked "what is a dutch shepherd", here is a dutch shepherd. I have adult pics of her but they're on a dead computer so I don't have access, unfortunately. She's a detection dog these days, I had to let her go years ago and not a day goes by where I don't miss those stabby radar ears.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Great reply Jolie.

Gingerman: Apology accepted, but only if you stop this nonsense about your dog being a Dutch shepherd, because she's not. That doesn't mean she's a 'lesser' dog; there's nothing wrong with an undefinable mutt and to be honest, she sounds like an amazing dog. I hope you have many happy years left together. But stop misrepresenting her. She's lovely the way she is, you don't need to put a false stamp on her.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
LOL I said both....
I say both too if I have to guess. It is the most common guess.

But I'll never really know for sure! Oh well. Beauty of the shelter mutts!

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
I say both too if I have to guess. It is the most common guess.

But I'll never really know for sure! Oh well. Beauty of the shelter mutts!
LoL no we will actually never know for sure...... But I showed you one that we do know for sure that could be hanks brother. :)

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Very interesting, thank you for the information! Of course I could be wrong about Ginger and she is just a random mix, I just can't shake the feeling she is somehow related to the KNPV type DS working dog. Much of this is in factors other than appearance. She is a very robust and intrepid dog, and really craves a challenge. At least BELIEVING she is one of these dogs, mistaken or not, has served me well. I've tried to keep her active and challenged, even if her "job" is to be a family pet. She has been a big help with landscaping! she has dug holes for paving stones, moved big piles of sticks, and ripped volunteers out from the ground, and she just LOVES to help
I have a dog that craves challenge too and loves to bite ... but he is a mini american shepherd and I assure you he has NO dutch shepherd ;)

Just because a dog likes to bite, doesnt mean they have dutchie in them.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Sporting Group Animal shelter

According to the public, these are my 5 Aussies. Hint..exactly 1 of those 5 dogs is an Aussie. interestingly, until I added the Aussie to the pack, Gem was the only one sometimes called an Aussie, but for the most part they were what they actually are lol.

Sometimes when people call them all Aussies I just nod and agree, easier. So yup, sure your dog is as much a Dutchie as my Heeler x's and my Pedigree'd Border Collie and Toller are Aussies :p

·
Registered
94 Posts
View attachment 201001

According to the public, these are my 5 Aussies. Hint..exactly 1 of those 5 dogs is an Aussie. interestingly, until I added the Aussie to the pack, Gem was the only one sometimes called an Aussie, but for the most part they were what they actually are lol.

Sometimes when people call them all Aussies I just nod and agree, easier. So yup, sure your dog is as much a Dutchie as my Heeler x's and my Pedigree'd Border Collie and Toller are Aussies :p
You have a gorgeous pack! How old is your Toller? So your Toller hasn't been called a mini Golden Retriever yet? You almost have my dream pack, I'm a bit jealous. Just missing a working line GSD and Siberian Husky.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
You have a gorgeous pack! How old is your Toller? So your Toller hasn't been called a mini Golden Retriever yet? You almost have my dream pack, I'm a bit jealous. Just missing a working line GSD and Siberian Husky.
Thank you :) my Toller is 6 months. I doubt she will ever get called a mini golden lol, she's REALLY small, like super small for even a Toller(I call her Tiny Toller) and she apparently looks like a mature dog to boot(she has more coat at 6 months then her mom has fully mature and she gets called an "old soul") so I mostly get people asking what she is rather then trying to guess

·
Registered
174 Posts
I didn't read all of the pages, but I bet if your dog was ANY other color, this thread would have never happened.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thank you :) my Toller is 6 months. I doubt she will ever get called a mini golden lol, she's REALLY small, like super small for even a Toller(I call her Tiny Toller) and she apparently looks like a mature dog to boot(she has more coat at 6 months then her mom has fully mature and she gets called an "old soul") so I mostly get people asking what she is rather then trying to guess
I should have just read your signature for her age. Sometimes I get a little too excited when I see people with breeds I love. XD Do you think she is done growing? Do you know off hand how tall she is (That's too cute)? What about her father's coat? Do you think she could have got it from him?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I should have just read your signature for her age. Sometimes I get a little too excited when I see people with breeds I love. XD Do you think she is done growing? Do you know off hand how tall she is (That's too cute)? What about her father's coat? Do you think she could have got it from him?
Haha I need to update my signature! She has her dads coat, yes. Her sires coat is so thick that her breeder shaves him in the summer because of how long he takes to dry every time he swims. In every other aspect of her appearance though she is her mother. She is just on the nose of 15" at the shoulder and weighs 18lbs. Not done growing sure, but I can't see her being any more then 16.5" and likely closer to 16" and will likely be under 24lbs. For comparison her mom is 37lbs and her dad is 46lbs.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I didn't read all of the pages, but I bet if your dog was ANY other color, this thread would have never happened.
if the dog was black and white she'd be a karelian bear dog... if she was solid red she'd be a carolina dog... solid black and she'd be a working line GSD... black and tan and she'd be a kelpie... merle and she'd be a koolie...

·
Registered
174 Posts
if the dog was black and white she'd be a karelian bear dog... if she was solid red she'd be a carolina dog... solid black and she'd be a working line GSD... black and tan and she'd be a kelpie... merle and she'd be a koolie...
Pretty much. :laugh:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Pretty much. :laugh:
well sure... if she wasn’t brindled, she wouldn't be a dutch shepherd!! She IS huge... 103 pounds now... but there is absolutely nothing non-shepherd about Ginger...in build she is identical to large white GSD she has played with...has anyone noticed how much some white GSDs differ in build?!?More muscular and without the sloping hips...also similar to large Belgian Shepherds and Mal’s we’ve encountered....

161 - 180 of 227 Posts