Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Scam, designers, not breeding for any real purpose but to make a profit....I do like that they have information on their site.

Better than most...for all I know, I'm getting confused with something else.

Something seems not quite right, but not wrong either...if that makes sense.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
What in the world is that??? Looks like a Shih Tzu mix to me. The standard? How long has this "breed" been around? What standard is that from? The names on that pedigree read like a Rottweiler or German Shepherd. lol Very Very Strange.

·
Registered
60 Posts
They are a german breed. That is why it reads like a rotti pedigree. I still have not found enough information on this supposed breed to help me believe it is purebred. They are a bit strange looking, but neat in a way as well. I would suggest doing even more information searching before you think of buying one. They just might be another designer dog. Not a good choice. You dont know which genetic bad trait you will get. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
The Biewer Yorkie was originally a piebald genetic recessive gene occurrence from 2 Yorkshire Terriers. It originated in Germany on January 20, 1984 from a breeding by Gertrude and Werner Biewer's Yorkshire Terriers. In this particular litter they produced a piebald Yorkie puppy from a genetic recessive gene. This piebald puppy's registered name was Schneefloeckchen von Friedheck ( Snowflake) Sire: Darling von Friedheck a FCI World Junior Champion in Dortmund in 1981 Dam: Fru-Fru von Friedheck a FCI World Junior Championess in Dortmund in 1981. Gertrude and Werner Biewer found this puppy to be quite beautiful and began a selective breeding process to produce more piebald puppies. Gertrude and Werner Biewer named these Yorkie with white markings "Biewer Yorkshire a la Pom Pon". It was from these breedings the Biewer Yorkie was developed. The breed was officially recognized in 1986 by the ACH ( allgemeiner Club der Hundefreunde Deutschland - ACH-L e. V ).

Today Yorkshire Terriers and Biewers are considered two different breeds. Against the wishes of some of the Biewer clubs, some American breeders are importing Biewers and crossing them with the Yorkshire Terriers and calling them Biewer Yorkies. The clubs state, "Breeding back to the Yorky is a big no no, as purebred is NOT achieved by breeding with another breed."

A hybrid breeder, who mixes the Biewer and the Yorkie states, "There can be Biewer and Yorkshire color puppies in a single litter, but only in the F2 Generation. In the F1 generation; if you breed a Biewer and a Yorkshire , you get only Yorkshire color puppies (black and tan). If you keep a puppy and breed this again to a true Biewer (3 generation Biewer) you will get Biewer and Yorkshire puppies. If you keep again a puppy no matter if Yorkie color or Biewer; and breed this again to a Biewer you get only Biewer puppies." Find out more about multi-generation crosses.

Various clubs are working to change the original standard of the dog and also it's original name. The clubs are trying to get the dogs called a Biewer Terrier. Some breeders disagree with this stating that is NOT the breed's name. The Biewer Yorkshire ala Pom Pon can be called Biewer or Biewer Yorky.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
The breeder seems to be a good lady. She points out on her website that "teacup" is a sales pitch and she seems to be honistly trying to do good by this breed but it also seems like she is in the middle of a big "Biewer controversy"

but the questions arises Is it really nessisary to create MORE toy breeds? when their only purpose is as a companion?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have seen quite a few at the Intl shows thru the IABCA,but they also allow toy and Mini aussies:(.....

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I'm confused.. Are those just Yorkies with white markings? The site you posted wasn't offering enough info, so I looked up the breed club website. Seems like they're just mismarked Yorkies...?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I'm confused.. Are those just Yorkies with white markings? The site you posted wasn't offering enough info, so I looked up the breed club website. Seems like they're just mismarked Yorkies...?
There are a few breeds out there that came about as a mismarked version of another breed. One I can think of off the top of my head is the "American White Shepherd"

·
Banned
572 Posts
What in the world is that??? Looks like a Shih Tzu mix to me. The standard? How long has this "breed" been around? What standard is that from? The names on that pedigree read like a Rottweiler or German Shepherd. lol Very Very Strange.

Biewers are a German breed, with the first one being bred in Germany a few decades ago. Only in the past 5 years have they taken notice with breeders in the US. It's a color mutation of the Yorkshire terrier, for all purposes is the same breed as a Yorkie, save for the piebald color pattern. From what I've heard, there were some dogs that either had or produced liver shunts in the first German dogs brought over here, but breeders are working to eliminate this. I've seen vast improvements in the Biewer in the few years they've been in this country. I know a few breeders who bought some German imports in '02-'03 who now have dogs with MUCH better heads and color patterns than the original Biewers. They paid upwards of $3500 for these dogs so no, these were NOT people looking to make a quick buck. There are shows for these dogs but definitely not AKC.
Breeders are improving the health of this breed by crossing the blk/tan Yorkie to Biewers and keeping back the piebald pups for breeding. I actually like the looks of this breed and have considered one day acquiring one or two.

As far as this particular breeder goes, I actually came across her website when researching the breed. I REALLY like the heads of her dogs. I've seen breeders with slightly better pups produced that were MUCH more gimmicky. But keep in mind, most toy breeders are gimmicky, becuase that's what attracts most toy people. Overall, she does appear to be one of the better Biewer breeders out there, tho again, I have seen nicer pups from websites that most here would trash.

Expect to pay a small fortune for any Biewer pup :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Urban - what is a small fortune these days? I'm curious to these other breeders that you like better, can you point them out? Thanks.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Alright, so now I know what they are. Now, what is so great about them? Why are they worth $2000 - $4000? I mean, are they companion extraordinary or what?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, so now I know what they are. Now, what is so great about them? Why are they worth $2000 - $4000? I mean, are they companion extraordinary or what?
Beats me, I'm not getting one. I was just curious. I was looking into yorkies and came across them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts