Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Am I reading it correctly that the dog is on occasion left to run unattended? (quote: hanging around her back door and wanted to play with her dog")
No, and that's the first I heard it had gotten out of the yard. I thought it would be great for both if he's not getting much exercise as long as he isn't aggressive and they're supervised. I was told he's around 2 yrs old.

I have no idea how the dog has been treated as the tenants moved in Oct. 08. I believe it's out 24/7 as it barks at different times during the night. It has to be so hard on this pup, not with his owner, not in a real home, stuck in this temporary limbo. I was told the son, who owns the dog, is looking for a place to rent that will allow the dog but isn't having much luck. Not sure if I believe that.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
So that is the question of the day. What if a DNA test was made available. It was proved to be 100% accurate. You decide just for fun to have your mixed breed or even possibly Pure bred dog tested. When the results came back you are shocked to find out that "Fluffy" is part Pit bull or Rottweiler? How would that change your thoughts about your own dog? Would you suddenly have fears that you didn't have before? Would you call your home owners insurance to tell them you own a Pit bull or Rottweiler mix? Would you get rid of your dog? If you look down at "Fluffy" who looks like a Rat terrier or a Sheltie or Golden and think, it couldn't be, just say... "What if?" What would you do?
If I tested my pure breds pits and they came back as being anything other then primarily Pit Bull I'd be shocked. I can't say it'd change my feelings towards that dog but I'd definitely want to test other dogs of the same bloodline and see what is going on. I'd be kind of upset.

If I had a mixed breed and it came back part Pit I'd be cool with that. If it came back part Rott I can't see that being a problem. Even if I had some breed fears its a dog I already know and love. I couldn't be scared of my own dog or worry about my own dog doing something well scary. It just doesn't make sense. I understand having apprehension around certain breeds or not adopting a dog you know is of a breed that makes you uncomfortable but not a dog you already know, love, trust, have a bond with, ect.

I wouldn't call up my HOI, I don't see the point. Since we don't have restrictions not like I need to let them know what I have.

I would tell people if they asked. Although it depends how much rot/pit they have in them. If its like 5% then its not worth mentioning, I'd just tell them the primary breeds.

Here is one that is at least half Pit bull.

Most people that saw that dog would NEVER have guessed that. The shelter opted to be honest and tell people what the dog was. Since the puppy was born there and mama was a Pit bull they knew at least half of it. Notice the pup is quite old and still not adopted. :(
What a cute dog! I can't believe how adorable. Also surprising most never guessed it or considered it. Looks like a fluffy Pit Bull to me. Especially the head and muzzle. Interesting.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Bump!

LOL Spicy it doesn't surprise me that it wouldn't bother YOU if your dog had part Pit bull or Rottie in it. LOL

I am still hoping to hear from others. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
My previous dog was all wags and wiggles when she met people on the street. But I've had several people back up once I told them she was a German Shepherd/Rottie. Which must have been due to the Rottie as she was obviously a GSD, just with floppish ears and a barrel chest. But like MonicaBH, I did enjoy having a "dangerous dog" that was utterly sweet.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The only thing I know for sure about the breed of my dog is that he's a mutt. :) In the back of my mind I've thought he may have pit bull in him, but the next day I'd think he was a lab mix, etc. Pretty recently, I've come to think that he most likely is a bully mix. I guess I thought of APBTs as bigger and blockier than they are and didn't realize how much Bales looked like one.

I wasn't looking for a bully breed (I thought he was a lab mix of some sort, and he was such a baby when I got him from the rescue that it was hard to tell). And I don't know that I saw myself as the owner of a pit bull. Not because they're not great dogs (we have another family dog who is amazing, who we've always thought was part bully breed), but because I didn't really think I was the right kind of owner for one. I live in the middle of a big city, I also have cats, would like to have the option to have multiple dogs, etc. -- I didn't really want to deal with the potential for DA.

But, I have Bailey. And I love him more than anything, and if he grows up and is dog aggressive or I start to think he may be dangerous around my cats (they'll always be separated when I'm not home anyway), I'll still love him and I'll deal with it. And given the same choice, I'd get the same dog.

I actually love rotties and APBTs, and dobermans and shepherds. I didn't plan to get any of them because of potential for them all to be dog aggressive is greater than, for example, a lab. And I won't deny that I have a small measure of anxiety about Bales in that regard (that dog aggression may turn on as he gets older) -- but that makes me more alert and aware, and is probably a good thing.

·
Registered
482 Posts
How would that change your thoughts about your own dog? Would you suddenly have fears that you didn't have before?

I grew up in an area that's pretty negative about Pits. Rotties didn't really have a negative stigma attached to them, but people pretty much fly into frenzies about Pitts. (e.g. "AAAAHHH there's a Pit bull running loose on the beach, wagging his tail and playing fetch! Run for cover!!!") :D I don't think I'd have any fears, per say, but I might say to myself: "Okay, he has pit bull in him, I'd better be very diligent in training so he turns out right! Certain breeds seem to react differently to different training techniques, so knowing the breed might give some clue as to what methods might work and others that might not.

Would you call your home owners insurance to tell them you own a Pit bull or Rottweiler mix?
Nope. In fact, I had done some research on insurance breed bans and cautiously sent out feelers to my own insurance company. I basically said, "We're thinking of getting a puppy, is there anything we need to do as far as homeowners insurance?" I received a reply with a list of dogs that the insurance company bans (Doberman, Pit Bull, Rotties, Akitas, wolf hybrids, chow chows). I responded, "Not sure what breed she is, she's from a shelter. She looks like she might have husky in her. Here's a picture." I received a response back saying yes, they do cover huskies, and also the insurance adjuster told me how cute the puppy was.

Luna's adoption papers say she's an "Akita/German Shepherd mix" so we'll be looking for new homeowners insurance. (Side note: I wonder if insurance companies would be forced to drop the bans if everyone dropped their coverage and went with a company that doesn't discriminate?) In the meantime, we'll go ahead and let the insurance company think she's part husky.

Oh, and for those of you who said your homeowners insurance doesn't breed ban, I would double check. I didn't find ANYTHING anywhere about these particular breed bans for my insurance company, but apparently they are there.

Would you get rid of your dog?
Absolutely not.

I love the "dangerous dogs". It's more fun to show off my well behaved "baby killer" to the public than a run-of-the-mill "family dog" like a Labrador or a golden.
Agreed! I have nothing against Labs/Goldens (they're beautiful and generally friendly dogs) but I've always wanted something a bit different. And, I'm not going to lie, something about me feels a bit proud to announce that I own a dog with Akita in her... but it's also a responsibility to raise her up right to help reduce some of the stigma/fear associated with the "bully breeds." :rolls eyes:

I think I broke my mom's heart when I refused to get one of the "family type" breeds (I think she was trying to live vicariously through me since she vowed never to get another dog after her last one died, and she's always wanted a Golden). I told her, "Mom, they're nice dogs, but they're just not me!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I would just shurge it off with Jack and Kechara since their pedigrees arn't so solid anyways but with Hawkeye I would defiantly get in touch with his breeder and say "what is going on here!?" And then I would probably try and keep it quite so I could still show him in AKC lol

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Im proud of my dogs no matter what mixes they have in them. Xena is part rottweiler. I love her as a puppy, whatever breed she has in her. I love rotties anyways. :D The boys, dont look anything like pit or rottie to me, but if they have it in them... I WILL LOVE THEM AS MUCH AS I LOVE THEM NOW. :D Their breed is just an added spice, I love them for the dogs they are.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts