Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Inga

Did you know Im scared poopless of GSDs?

The dog below is Delilah.

She is my sister's dog. I rescued her and her bro and kept her. And I gave her up.

Why?

I've been think about this thread all day and this little wisp of doubt has been banging around in my head? D looks pretty much like an elongated pit bull. Her mama was a pit. Her daddy was GSD.

and now Im asking myself...Did I giver her up unconciously because of that??:confused: :(????

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I forgot to mention the insurance part.... I would tell the truth. My insurance doesn't have any clause on dog breeds that I know of. I'm going to find my paperwork though just to be sure.

The more I think about it, I think the only thing that would make me think twice if it showed up would be a small breed dog. I'm not a little dog person. I think they can be cute but they are not for me. That being said, in the end it really wouldn't matter. It's the dog at your feet or in your lap that matters.

·
Registered
191 Posts
No I dont mind at all.. I am an open book lol. It was only $52- so not bad at all and it was just really for fun and the results came back on a certificate that can be framed if wanted and then some paper work that had a little bit about each breed she was on it.
Oh yea just to let you all know I wouldnt tell my insurance company about any of it because I know in my state there are breed restrictions and I dont need that lol, so as far as anyone knows I have a Lab and a mutt. Thats all.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Hmmm, before I was here on DF...I probably would have said yes regarding being more leery of a pit bull, probably not of the rottie mix. It's scary to think I almost didn't keep Mac because as a puppy, he looked more like a pit bull then roe did, and I was scared to have a pit or pit mix. I also had never had a dog before and didn't know ANYTHING about dogs, mixes, pit bulls or anything.

I'm glad that I found this place, I'm glad I fell in love with mac within 24 hours and didn't let him go, and I'm also glad I had an open mind and didn't let my initial fear of the unknown allow me to miss out on the love and happiness that Mac'n'Roe give me.

I do, though, decide when and who I tell that they "may" have a little pit in them. I typically say they are boxer mixes when someone asks. Sometimes I say they have pit, depends on how I'm feeling I guess.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I wouldn't purposefully go out and adopt a pit/rottie mix, just because I'm not much of a big dog person. But if I adopted a smaller dog and found out it had some pit or rottie in it, I wouldn't care, and I might even find it a bit novel XD **Shrug** I'd be truthful with strangers about the breed of my dog, but I'd also use it as an excuse to show people that they're not so bad, lol =3 Dunno what I'd do about insurance, though, I'm not a home-owner =P

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I might be "shocked," however, it would never change how I felt about my dog, nor would I suddenly have fears that I didn't have before, and I most certainly would NOT get rid of my dog! It would make me learn as much as I could about Pit bulls and Rotties, just because that's how I am (and would do so if it came back lab or golden or whatever). I'm not sure if I'd pick up the phone and call my insurance company or not. . .the dog's already listed as a mixed breed, so the coverage is there, AND, the dog IS a mixed breed.

I've always loved Rotties, knew a few while growing up, and have current friends who have Rotties now, so I've been close to several over the years. I've never been fearful of them - have a healthy respect, YES! But not afraid. I've not been afraid of Pit Bulls for myself, but I have to admit that I am afraid for my dogs. I fostered a pit mix for several months, and she was a sweet dog who was very affectionate with me, but, wanted to kill my dogs! Keeping her separated from my dogs at all times was exhausting after awhile, but, through careful management, everyone's needs were met. When I walked her, other people out walking their dogs would cross the street. Others without dogs would avoid getting too close. Khista was such a sweet and loving girl, I felt irritated with those people. But, I've encountered people who swore their dogs were friendly who were snarling, barking, lunging maniacs when up close, so, I can understand being wary.

My daughter's best friend just got a Pit bull puppy, so, my dogs will be part of that puppy's socialization, and will likely be in and out've my house just as the owner is! (Mel's 14-yr. old Rottie recently went to the Bridge, and he was a play buddy with my dogs.)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I might be "shocked," however, it would never change how I felt about my dog, nor would I suddenly have fears that I didn't have before, and I most certainly would NOT get rid of my dog! It would make me learn as much as I could about Pit bulls and Rotties, just because that's how I am (and would do so if it came back lab or golden or whatever).
Ditto--this is a perfect description of my feelings. It would be a bit of a surprise, though, definitely.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did the DNA test and found out my dog was part hungry, part sleepy, part lazy, and part gassy.

I wasn't suprised at all.

Seriously, if I found out there were any pit or rottie in any of mine, I might give them a rough sounding name just for kicks....but it wouldn't change a thing about what I think of them. They were raised right from the moment they were brought into my home, even though they led some pretty rough lives before then.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
So that is the question of the day. What if a DNA test was made available. It was proved to be 100% accurate. You decide just for fun to have your mixed breed or even possibly Pure bred dog tested. When the results came back you are shocked to find out that "Fluffy" is part Pit bull or Rottweiler? How would that change your thoughts about your own dog? Would you suddenly have fears that you didn't have before? Would you call your home owners insurance to tell them you own a Pit bull or Rottweiler mix? Would you get rid of your dog?

Well first I'd assume the test was broken (lol!) but no, it would not change a thing for me. My first dog was a Rottie, so I don't fear them (or Pits) at all.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Oh I am so glad to be getting such wonderful responses. Not too many from people who ARE afraid of Pit bulls or Rotties like I am hoping for. I am not judging anyone who is afraid of either of those breeds. I think they are both breeds that have reputations, they are both very powerful breeds and in the wrong hands they definitely CAN be dangerous. They also admittedly are OFTEN in the WRONG hands. So if a person is afraid, I can understand. I would hope they are not irrational about their fears or that they would support taking the breed away from good homes but I can certainly understand people being afraid. I am not miss brave-heart myself. Like I stated earlier, I don't know if I would love Rotties so much had I not had them well before the whole bad reputation thing started. I don't believe everything others tell me about certain breeds so I would like to think I would give them a chance but.... I might be more concerned had I not had so many wonderful experiences with either of these breeds.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
My first instinct when I see a Rottie is to squeeze them and smooch their adorable noses. I usually restrain myself. =P

I think once you've owned one and see how sweet and special they can be, you can only look at them with love.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I thought about that.....we bought a DNA test for Shug, but my mom hasn't swabbed her yet. I wonder if she's putting it off because Shug's last owner says she's part pittie (pure guessing; she found her as a stray pup, no idea on history). I don't think it would matter to my mom, but my dad thinks pits WILL eat someone someday (and no changing his mind!). Which is just silly.....when you already know a dog, you should have a pretty good idea of whether she'll eat someone or not.

It wouldn't matter to me one bit.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
If Summer came out a Rottweiler, I'd have to go ask her mom what she's not telling me. Lol.

Definitely wouldn't be scared if I had a part rott dog.

;) (Yes, that's me a long long long time ago)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Oh I am so glad to be getting such wonderful responses. Not too many from people who ARE afraid of Pit bulls or Rotties like I am hoping for. I am not judging anyone who is afraid of either of those breeds.
I don't think I'm afraid but, I would never own either breed because I think they require an owner much different from me and the way I am with Molly. My opinion is that they are too smart and too strong for the average dog owner. Molly is just a big goof, I don't care what breeds she may be made of because she is unique, just as everyone's dog is. No two are the same.

When I see any new dog approaching Molly that seems large enough to inflict pain, I hope the dog is friendly and under control with a respectful owner.

We own the home next door and it's rented through an agency as we don't want to be on call 24/7. We don't allow kids but allow responsible dog owners and well behaved dogs. The present tenants asked to have their sons dog temporarily while he moves/builds but don't want to pay the pet deposit because it's an outside dog. I emailed the agency stating if the dog is on the property, we would like the deposit. Never heard back and the dog (pit bull) is there almost all the time. This poor dog is left in the back yard and very rarely gets out for a walk. Ran into a woman who owns a feisty Jack Russel and the pit was hanging around her door and then wanted to play with her dog. She said the pit was the sweetest dog and so gentle, a truly lovely dog. So, I think I'll ask the tenants if they will let Molly play with the pit. Hopefully, they will tire each other out. Probably setting myself up for a problem. If they get along, they'll be climbing/jumping the fence! Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I don't think I'm afraid but, I would never own either breed because I think they require an owner much different from me and the way I am with Molly. My opinion is that they are too smart and too strong for the average dog owner. Molly is just a big goof, I don't care what breeds she may be made of because she is unique, just as everyone's dog is. No two are the same.

When I see any new dog approaching Molly that seems large enough to inflict pain, I hope the dog is friendly and under control with a respectful owner.

We own the home next door and it's rented through an agency as we don't want to be on call 24/7. We don't allow kids but allow responsible dog owners and well behaved dogs. The present tenants asked to have their sons dog temporarily while he moves/builds but don't want to pay the pet deposit because it's an outside dog. I emailed the agency stating if the dog is on the property, we would like the deposit. Never heard back and the dog (pit bull) is there almost all the time. This poor dog is left in the back yard and very rarely gets out for a walk. Ran into a woman who owns a feisty Jack Russel and the pit was hanging around her door and then wanted to play with her dog. She said the pit was the sweetest dog and so gentle, a truly lovely dog. So, I think I'll ask the tenants if they will let Molly play with the pit. Hopefully, they will tire each other out. Probably setting myself up for a problem. If they get along, they'll be climbing/jumping the fence! Will let you know how it goes.

Use the utmost caution in doing that. This doesn't sound like a dog they have spent a lot of time socializing if it is left out in a kennel. I feel sorry for any dog in those conditions, it is NOT fair. If they do get along at least the poor dog will get some interaction. Am I reading it correctly that the dog is on occasion left to run unattended? (quote: hanging around her back door and wanted to play with her dog")

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The more rottie, the better IMO! Same goes for pit bulls. ;)

I love the "dangerous dogs". It's more fun to show off my well behaved "baby killer" to the public than a run-of-the-mill "family dog" like a Labrador or a golden.:eek::rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts