Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So that is the question of the day. What if a DNA test was made available. It was proved to be 100% accurate. You decide just for fun to have your mixed breed or even possibly Pure bred dog tested. When the results came back you are shocked to find out that "Fluffy" is part Pit bull or Rottweiler? How would that change your thoughts about your own dog? Would you suddenly have fears that you didn't have before? Would you call your home owners insurance to tell them you own a Pit bull or Rottweiler mix? Would you get rid of your dog? If you look down at "Fluffy" who looks like a Rat terrier or a Sheltie or Golden and think, it couldn't be, just say... "What if?" What would you do?
Here is one that is at least half Pit bull.

Most people that saw that dog would NEVER have guessed that. The shelter opted to be honest and tell people what the dog was. Since the puppy was born there and mama was a Pit bull they knew at least half of it. Notice the pup is quite old and still not adopted. :(

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'll take her! She is adorable. I honestly do not think it would change my opinion of my dogs if I knew what they were, but that may be because I do not have negative opinions about pits or rotties or anything. My dogs are generically called a "shepherd mix" and a "chow mix" (some day i am going to post pics and see what you guys think) but I really do not care what they are. I love them for their goofy selves, not for what a rescue randomly called them.

I think it could be very different, though, if you asked someone with a fear of pits or something. It would be interesting to see how they would see their dog if they knew it has a "scary" breed in it. I know some homeowners' insurance charges more if you have certain breeds of dog. If you had the pup you pictured, would they charge more? I assume they would if you told them she was half pit, but they wouldn't really know without you telling them, right?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
It wouldn't be surprising to me if Marge came back having some amount of Pit Bull, Doberman or Rottweiler, nor would I change my opinion of my dog. I would be shocked if she did not have any hound or small breed terrier, because that is exactly what her mother looks like (hound markings w/ terrier body).

I would be absolutely shocked, if there was no Labrador. I would probably go on calling my dog a Labrador mix, NOT to try to mask the other breeds, but just for convenience. I'd sure have a hard time convincing people of otherwise. You know how people are.

·
Registered
322 Posts
OMG, what a cutie!!!

That was an interesting choice by the shelter. I've definitely noticed shelters/rescues being a bit fuzzy about dogs that pretty clearly look to be "pit bulls" -- calling them boxers or labs, etc.

I think it is a good decision, though, to be honest. IMO, people who are getting a bully breed should know what they're getting and understand that their dog may be DA and/or have a strong prey drive.

Of course I wouldn't love my dog any less no matter what he ended up being. I don't know what the heck his is anyway. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't see the problem knowing your dog is a/part Pit Bull or Rottweiler. My aunt has two adult Rottweilers who are actually very playful, even to strangers.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Tee Hee.
If my house wasn't already full, I be wondering how fast I could get that baby in the car.

As for ancestry, I don't know for sure what is in my yard now, so I don't think I would be all that worried about it. (Knowing or not knowing, either way.)

·
Registered
643 Posts
I don't think it would change my opinions of my dogs. I might watch their interactions together a little closer, but nothing I could think of other than that. My dogs are my children, no matter what their parents were.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It wouldn't bother me a bit. I have always been in love with Rotties and bully breeds in general. I own a Rottie mix now. Maybe one day I'll have a pure bred Rottie and another pure bred GSD, buy for now my mixes will do :D

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I wouldn't mind at all. But then, I love Pits and probably would have originally picked the dog based on some belief that he carried a bit of the breed in him ;)

I think it's definitely an interesting question to ask, though. Kind of reminds me of those people you run into that fawn all over your dog until they find out his parentage. Or occasionally the people that find out and have a sudden "I never knew they could be this sweet!" moment. I guess it just goes to show that there are still so many people out there that don't really know what these breeds are/are about besides the fact that they've been labeled dangerous.

ETA: I too am glad that more and more shelters are choosing to be honest (as honest as they can be, anyway) about breeds rather then purposely misidentifying dogs to make them seem more desirable.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I wouldn't care at all! I would not treat the dog any differently nor have any prejudice towards it in the least. In the past (a good ten years ago) I took in three former fighting pits - literally right off the streets - and they were the smartest, most loving dogs I have ever met.

The homeowners part, that would be a moral dilema for me. Part of me would want to be honest but I don't know if I would want my premiums to skyrocket or get cancelled. I am already living in a "flood plain" (even though I am TWO MILES from the ocean!), and only one insurer in my town would take me because of that. I may just have to fib on that issue.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sometimes Georgia will get a certain look on her face and I think she is part Pit Bull. If a DNA test confirmed it, I wouldn't really care. She is a really sweet dog and has a very soft mouth when she chews on my hands (LOL). I would read up more on any breeds that showed up in her DNA, including Pit, just to be better educated.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Since I have a pit bull Im going to flip this question on its head...

If I took my girl in and got her DNAd and she turned out to be a poodle mix I would love her anyway...I might tease her about it though...;)

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
As Esther matures, she's looking more and more rotti. But I think I'll keep her.

I'd have that test done, btw, because I'm an inquisitive kinda guy. But I can't imagine any results that would come back that would change the way I feel about either one of my dogs.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am glad to hear the responses here so far. I am also hoping to hear from some NON Pit/Rottie people to see what they would do if they found out their dogs had one or both of those breeds in their DNA. Also only a few people said what they would do about the insurance part. This is a BIG concern for those of us with those breeds. Would you be honest to people that met your dog on the street as well? It would be like all of a sudden you have this dirty little secret that has been hidden and now it is out there. How far out there it got would depend on you. Would you hide that fact or be open about it?

By the way RonE. I secretly thought Esther was part Rottie right along. :) She is just way too beautiful to NOT have at least a spec of Rottie. lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't think I'd tell my insurance company. I guess that's dishonest, but whatever. Nor, honestly, would I tell whatever authority may ban my breed (e.g. my condo building bans certain breeds). If there was any possibility of someone finding out what the results were if my dog ended up being a restricted/banned breed, I wouldn't do the test in the first place.

I honestly don't know what I'd do about people on the street. I think that I'd tell the truth, but, honestly, it hurts my feelings when people are mean/rude to Bales just for being a dog. I would be furious if someone hurt Bailey's feelings out of ignorance, and I know this happens with APBTs. :(

·
Registered
691 Posts
I would be open about it. I take pride in how well Chloe behaves and her training. I would do the same with any future dog so maybe I could change some minds? I wouldn't really care what people thought.

My daughter's best friend has a pit/x adopted from a shelter in Texas (they relocated here a few years ago). When my daughter first said "so and so has a pitbull" I didn't blink. I know her parents well and they are good people who I know wouldn't have a dangerous dog. Let me be crystal clear on this though - by dangerous I mean untrained / DA / HA, not based on breed. She is one of the sweetest dogs I have met, and she licks and loves on my daughter like my own dog does. I have no issue or apprehension with her at all.

There is a min pin down the street who is a terror, and I would have issues with my daughter spending time at THAT house!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll pipe up and say I'd be worried. I can't help it. I KNOW pitties can be nice, but that doesn't stop me from being worried about them. I like rotties, though, so that would be no problem.
I understand people being afraid of certain breeds. I myself am leery of a certain breed that will go unnamed. If I found out my own dog had some of that breed in it, I would laugh crazily but wouldn't change how I feel about my dog. I mean, for me, I already love my dog and that couldn't change no matter what some test says about them. Then again, I am coming from a different perspective because I am already fully aware that they are Rotties. lol I think my general point of the whole thread was to have people think a bit about it. If you have had your dog for a few years you pretty much know your dogs quirks. Would having a certain breed in it suddenly explain a lot about it? Would it just be an excuse to some, for lack of training/socializing? Would they suddenly be afraid of a dog that they have loved and has never shown any signs of aggression? That dog on the top of the page was already euthanized. Not for being a bad dog or because it wasn't cute enough. That little dog got all kinds of willing adopters until they found out what kind of dog it was. Would it have been different if someone had adopted the dog without knowing, fell in love and then later found out he was 1/2 Pit bull? We will never know about him but I wonder if people think about that for their own dogs? There are reasons to be afraid of dogs. Dogs can bite and in a few cases even kill. We all share our homes with dogs of different breeds, sizes, colors, temperaments. We all love our dogs. We love the bad with the good in most cases. (why we spend time on DF sharing tales about with our dogs with other crazy dog lovers) Should anything change about how we feel if we suddenly know it's genetic makeup? Do they not still wag their tails the same, cuddle with you on the couch the same?

Katthevamp I am in no way judging you. Like I said, I completely understand peoples fears. I cannot honestly say I would want a Rottweiler if they had had the reputation they do now, 30 years ago when I got my first one. Nobody knew what they were back then. My first dog was PERFECT so I always wanted another one like that. Everyone I have had has been perfect for me. (with a lot of hours of training first) I have so much respect for the Pit bull breed and have met so many wonderful examples of the breed. Through rescue I have met dogs that were so abused I couldn't have blamed them for killing someone yet they were sweet dogs. This does not change the fact that there are also a lot of people that breed them and train them for the wrong reasons. In my area we have had some real problems with them (and other breeds) So, if I found out that my dogs now had Pit bull in them how would I feel? Shocked for one. I would still love my dogs. I don't really know how I would feel beyond that. I just know that the dog I fell in love with is the dog currently laying on my feet. What is inside him or what he is made of doesn't really matter to me. As far as insurance... I already have that problem. Can't say it would matter much if they were 1/2 Rott and 1/2 Pit bull.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just had the DNA results come back for our puppy and she came back as chow, collie, shar pei, doberman, and great dane. And no it didnt change my view of her at all one bit she is still my cute, loving, sweet face little puppy. It was just done for fun and I didnt care one way or the other just wanted to see because she looks so diffrent from any other dog I have ever seen..
My other girl we adopted from a shelter at 8 weeks and she was posted as a Lab/Pit Mix and I adopted her knowing that all well. But when the shelter gave us our paper work they had her as a Lab Mix I asked why they said they dont like to put pit on the paper work if not needed. I dont care what my mutts are they are mine and they are family members I love them no matter, and I have to say I would be a little sad if someone said they would get rid of their dog because they found out there is a breed that they "dont like"...

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
If I had a dog that I was unsure about the breed...(I'm pretty sure Eddie is all Lab, but who really knows?) it would be for my curiosity. Now if the insurance company required me to do DNA testing and report the results, I would honestly...but I definitely wouldn't tell if they don't ask. ;) My opinion of the dog wouldn't change...or at least I can't foresee it changing under those circumstances. Eddie is absolutely horrible most days and I've had him for 2 years...if I haven't given up on him then I doubt I'd give up on a dog of a controversial breed.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts