Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, we adopted a rescue pup about 3 months ago. And pretty much, at least to some degree, every person in the house dislikes this puppy. She is very unlike any other dog I have had. I won't get into all the details, but I think we made a mistake when we got this particular puppy. She's a mix breed.

I have had about a dozen dogs in my life. I have liked most a lot, and loved a bunch of them. But this one is just different.

If everybody in your family just disliked a puppy that you had, WWYD?

BTW, I don't want to, and won't go into details..
. Suffice it to say that to some degree, this dog goes from liking it just a little to really strong dislike.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I would probably......knowing myself.....go from not liking it to feeling sorry for it......and working with it anyways. I tend to go for the underdogs......always. :)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I would probably......knowing myself.....go from not liking it to feeling sorry for it......and working with it anyways. I tend to go for the underdogs......always. :)
Same. I can already feel it happening!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'd spend some time learning about what motivates it, and learn how to train it/reward it in a meaningful way/and play with it in a meaningful way.
I can't imaging just "not liking a puppy". Yes, they are PITA's when they are puppies, but that's because they are PUPPIES.

PD- I saw on another thread of yours where you said the puppy was 4 mths old, yet you say you got the puppy 3 months ago? How old was the puppy when you got it?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
You put in the work until you have a likeable, maybe even loveable, dog. Decide whether or not you can see that happening. If not, find a home better suited to the puppy.

Though I do find it interesting that the person who doesn't understand "breed fanaticism" ended up with a puppy that is such a poor match. Maybe if you had a better idea of qualities you want and which breeds meet them, you could have avoided this problem.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Oh, please go into details so some possible help can be given.
Agreed. Some problems are fixable, some aren't. If the puppy is acting like a puppy, that can be fixed. If it's a case of the person wanting a calm, snuggle-bunny dog going out and buying an akita, well....

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'd spend some time learning about what motivates it, and learn how to train it/reward it in a meaningful way/and play with it in a meaningful way.
I can't imaging just "not liking a puppy". Yes, they are PITA's when they are puppies, but that's because they are PUPPIES.

PD- I saw on another thread of yours where you said the puppy was 4 mths old, yet you say you got the puppy 3 months ago? How old was the puppy when you got it?
I am guesstimating..... she is somewhere around 4 - 5 months old. Nobody knows for sure.

You put in the work until you have a likeable, maybe even loveable, dog. Decide whether or not you can see that happening. If not, find a home better suited to the puppy.

Though I do find it interesting that the person who doesn't understand "breed fanaticism" ended up with a puppy that is such a poor match. Maybe if you had a better idea of qualities you want and which breeds meet them, you could have avoided this problem.
Ah, well, this is what happens when the wife and kids picked the dog.... She was not my choice.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I think *almost* everyone goes through the "I really dislike my puppy" phase with a new puppy. They aren't easy, they aren't trained, they make messes, and are just little terrors at times. It depends on whether you are willing to stick it out. Many people have dogs they didn't like as puppies but once the dog is through that phase it improves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too went through one of those "phases" when we first found Bruno. I did the most in taking care of him. He wasn't house-broken, he would wake up at odd hours of the night wanting to go potty, i barely got any sleep as i woke up a couple times a night to let him out of his little box and let him go potty, and this went on for about three weeks. I disliked him for making me suddenly have to change my whole sleep schedule, especially since I was in college at the time, but these days I couldn't imagine life without him. He's my little baby now and I'm glad I went through all the effort of raising him. He's still not as well-trained as I'd like him to be but I love him to death.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I think *almost* everyone goes through the "I really dislike my puppy" phase with a new puppy. They aren't easy, they aren't trained, they make messes, and are just little terrors at times. It depends on whether you are willing to stick it out. Many people have dogs they didn't like as puppies but once the dog is through that phase it improves.
Ditto this. Puppies are awful. Some are awful-er than others. But if you stick it out and do it properly, you'll end up with a good dog eventually.

But if you absolutely do feel that her personality isn't right for your family and never will be, do her a favor and find the right home for her while she's still young and adoptable.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Not every dog is the right fit for not every household. If he's a bad fit, I think the best thing to do is to give him up and let another family have a shot at him.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm with the last two replies that are saying to let the pup go to a home that will love him. Yes, if it's a behavior thing you can work with the puppy and train it up to something that you can live with and learn to love. However... I know from first hand experience that it is really hard to work with a dog that you don't like. You need to figure out what is best for your family and definitely what is best for the dog and then do that.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I think the puppy deserves better, I would rehome the puppy and find someone that actually loves the puppy instead of keeping it it's whole life and only keeping it because I pity it. I feel like that's a bit unfair to the dog.

·
Registered
294 Posts
We went through the same thing at our house. Got a mixed breed mutt who is PITA! I and everyone in the family were extremely negative about him, AND it was affecting how we behaved toward him. I was moved one day to start being nice to him, and don't regret it for a minute. It really was a case of FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT for us for a while. Is he still a pita? Yes. Without a doubt. But he's MY pita. He loves me, and is my velcro dog. He moans with a great deal of pleasure when I come home and will gladly follow me all around the house.

If you really think that you cannot get past this, the pup is the perfect age to rehome. It would be much easier now than it would be later.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I agree that sometimes it's best to just find the dog a new home. It's not fair to the dog to keep it when no one likes it. It's actually pretty sad imo. Dog deserves better.

THAT said, we had a dog that we really had a hard time clicking with and many times I think he was just so difficult it was hard to like him. I didn't bond with him for ages but I am a stubborn git. So I worked it out and he lived with us for 13 years and I ended up loving him dearly. I would never in a million years want another dog like him but i would not give up. I have a thing though that giving up on a dog is just plain not an option in the vast majority of circumstances. I miss that dog so much. He's been gone 2 years and it still hits me really hard sometimes. :(

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Since you involved your children in this by having them pick out the dog, it wouldn't really be fair to just get rid of the dog without consulting them. And then I guess, there is also the issue of what you are effectively teaching them (your kids) if you decide to rehome the dog because 'no one likes it'.

The big question in my mind is why you don't want to and won't go into details. Either give the dog up now so that she still has a fighting chance of finding a forever home or get into the details and figure out how to best coexist together.

I believe that your dog now is a Coonhound X? Hounds are a very different group of dog and have a personality unlike any other dogs. They take a lot of work and a lot of understanding if you aren't use to the temperament...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
well Happy was the worst puppy I ever had, I seriously consider getting ride of her a number of times and I was often in tears because she was so awful. I would not ever want to relive her pupphood and I would not wish it on my worst enemy..instead I stuck it out...she is 11 years old now and guess what? she is far and away the best dog I have ever owned. BUT I am the type that never gves in, I dont really care what the problem is I always work through it.

sometimes its best for everyone to rehomed the dog however, we did have a pyreshep that we rehomed,(wanst mine, want my choice, I actually wanted ownership from my mom so I could work through it) but honestly he was a terrable dog, all my other dogs hated his guts, my mom resented him, he drove me slightly crazy etc.. he is MUCH better off in his new home where his new mom adores him, and all his new moms other dogs love him, she just considers hims a "project"..you know..that she has to re do over and over and over again lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm with a lot of people here. It depends on why you don't like it. If it's just the puppy thing it will pass if you just like because of others reaons well then... I would find it a new home. Since everyone is telling their puppy stories I'll tell mine. Luka was a horrible puppy, he chewed everything, EVERYTHING! If I let him out of my sight for two seconds he was chewing away at my socks or bed or the wall or anything he could get his teeth on. He had tons of engery, and even after playing all day long outside in the yard with my little brother he WOULD NOT settle down! He would pester you to no end until you payed attention to him. If it wasn't one thing it was something else with that dog. There were some days I just wanted to kill him! (not really but you get the idea)
But that stage passed (thank god) and he's an awesome, lovable doggy now.
So yeah, you just have to ask your self why you don't him?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts