Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I decided to keep Spirit 1.5 yrs ago I've been halfway worried about the possibility that the I may run into the original owner, whoever that may be. I originally made a strong effort (contacted AC, visited local vets, walked her around the neighborhood and asked around, & scanned for chips) for the first 3 or 4 weeks after she came to my house to find her owner, but without tags or a chip I wasn't successful. It was obvious that before coming to me she'd previously been on the street for a few weeks if not months.

I'd originally told myself that if the owner showed up one day and could prove it I'd give her back and simply charge for the vet bills. Now that we've gotten quite attached to each other I don't really see that happening.

In the unlikely event that I run into the old owner what happens next? Even though she's chipped and registered to me now this is still a nagging fear in the back of my head.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
After 1.5 years? Nope. No court in the world would uphold their claim to the dog. You did the ethical and legal thing and made an honest effort to find the former owner. You're on the side of the angels with this one.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I guess I do worry about silly stuff at times. I just worried when I meet owners with similar looking dogs think that perhaps they could be liter mates or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts