Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question guys.

Wife and I worked out a schedule: Last out 11pm, then out to pee at 2am then again at 6. This way we give him 3 hours to hold, then 4. Since he is getting emptier it should be easier for him to hold, in theory. Anyhow, what we do not know answer to is - What if he starts to cry at, say 1am? 1 hour before his scheduled time? Do we ignore and let him cry and still take him out at 2am or do we go ahead and get up at 1am and take him out to pee?

And how does one know if he is just crying because he is bored/scared/lonely or actually because his bladder is full and he needs to go?

Thanks a TON as i have no idea what the answers are.

Eugene

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
At 13 weeks you should be taking him out anytime he needs to go. If he's already squeaking to let you know he's got to go, you should consider yourself lucky. Pups have to relieve themselves an insane number of times per day, at that age.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, DO take him out if he cries? Wont he see it as "Hey i cry and someone comes!" ?

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I would be opting for a 2 hour schedule, not 3-4 hours. Then there shouldn't be any crying. If you put the crate where you can't hear him, but go every two hours, that should be fine. If at 2 hours you find him wet, even after 2-3 days of this schedule, then you may have to back off to every 90 minutes.

Some dogs take longer than others to potty train. But I would try to anticipate his needs rather than have him get used to whining for his needs...and then just find out that his "need" is attention only.

Something I just thought of...be sure the dog has a great rousing, tiring walk or game of fetch, ??? about 2-3 hours before bedtime. You want him to be REALLY tired. He should also be getting 2 LONG walks every day or at least two 30-minute sessions of hard play every day, rain or shine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I WISH this dog would play, he does not. Most time he would play is maybe 5-10 min total a day. I do take him on 20+ minutes walk 3 times as day thought.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I WISH this dog would play, he does not. Most time he would play is maybe 5-10 min total a day. I do take him on 20+ minutes walk 3 times as day thought.
Does he like to eat? If so, you can train it to fetch easily. In his mind he won't be playing, he would be eating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is what I did with each one of my 5 dogs that i raised from pups, although i have been called crazy more than once in my life. LOL
Crate went into master bedroom...this served for multiple purposes one of switch was to keep the pup separated from the rest for a few weeks, also for potty training.
At night, out came the air mattress and i slept next to the little tyke. Hubby was able to sleep through the next and the pup's anxiety wasn't as bad with me be close to him. The trips outside became longer in no time.
Now you may not want to go to this extreme, but if the pup has visual contact with you this might help.
good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts