Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Recently found a stray German shepherd and what I think and what other said she's about a year and a half year old. I got her registered and everything shes about 45 iunno if that's considered underweight. She a sweet dog ! ever since i took her in she's like in love with me haha . I would like to ask for help on what I should know about German shepherds . such as what I shouldn't do and do . how are they like? are they protective of their owner? any kind of information would be amazing ! thank you !

(posted this in general wrong topic)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The ones I've had/known are very attached to their owners, and are very sensitive to moods etc. Even my half shep, is very sensitive. I don't even need to raise my voice...I just ask her to do things and she will.
They can become protective of their owners, so they need to be socialized and taught what is appropriate behavior.
We had one as a child that was great with us kids, but bit (twice) 2 children that just walked into the home (instead of knocking on the door and being invited).
They can be prone to hip displaysia, so you may want to have her tested for that.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
To add to the above, they are very smart and have very high drive, but are super sensitive, so positive training and exercise is crucial. GSDs need a job, whether that's obedience training, agility, schutzhund, scent work, picking up her toys, just something to occupy her mind so she doesn't drive you nuts.

45lbs would be on the small side, what does your vet say? Also, you did have get scanned for a microchip and all that, got her shots, tested for worms, made a spay appointment and all that, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a German Shepherd, and had GSD's all through my life. They are very a smart and loyal breed, my GSD never leaves my side. However, GSD's are prone to hip dysplasia, I had Otto xrayed as his back legs were very low and his feet scraped the floor, thankfully he didn't have hip dysplasia. A GSD should be trained, like Amaryllis said, obedience training, agility etc.

Although we have never taken Otto to a training group as such, I have taught Otto myself. I got him when he was 9 weeks old, and from the first day I got him, I started training him. Thankfully he is not extremely protective, he loves attention, and will not growl/show his teeth to anybody who tries to hug me etc.

They need to learn when they are young, they will remember it throughout life, as it gets difficult when the dog is older. Social interaction is a MUST! I took Otto out for a walk, and Otto is fabulous with dogs and people (including children) and another dog attacked him, this may be due to a poor level of social interaction. You don't want your dog to be a danger to people/children or other dogs.

You should also get the dog microchipped, checked for worms and also make an appointment to get her spayed.

I also HIGHLY recommend, when she is left on her own, leave things for her to chew on, as GSD's and most probably a lot of breeds like to chew on your furniture.

I hope this information helps :) Good luck with your GSD :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts