Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned that Kabota does not like unneutered male dogs and that he will not hesitate to step to one three times his size.

Kabota was having a great time soaking up attention from other attendees and mingling with other dogs until a Great Dane mix walked by and he started growling at it. The Great Dane mix looked about as surprised as I was. I thought maybe he didn't like really big dogs?

I took Kabota to the side to work on training with distractions- he did great!- and a pair of huge German Shepherds walked by. (Not fat, just really big) Not one peep out of Kabota. He was thrilled to see them. They were indifferent. Okay, so it's not big dogs.

So we went back to watch a presentation on training I wanted to see and a little rat terrier walks by, and Kabota growls again. I watch the rat terrier go and it hits me- that dog has balls. So I handed the leash to my husband, hunted down the Great Dane mix and checked- yup, unneutered.

I solved the mystery, but I realize now that the owner of the Great Dane mix doubtless thinks I am complete freak for running up, looking at her dog's butt and running off. Oh, well.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Unfortunately not an uncommon reaction. A lot of neutered boys find intact boys very offensive even though both boys may be very friendly in other situations.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I learned that Kabota does not like unneutered male dogs and that he will not hesitate to step to one three times his size.

Kabota was having a great time soaking up attention from other attendees and mingling with other dogs until a Great Dane mix walked by and he started growling at it. The Great Dane mix looked about as surprised as I was. I thought maybe he didn't like really big dogs?

I took Kabota to the side to work on training with distractions- he did great!- and a pair of huge German Shepherds walked by. (Not fat, just really big) Not one peep out of Kabota. He was thrilled to see them. They were indifferent. Okay, so it's not big dogs.

So we went back to watch a presentation on training I wanted to see and a little rat terrier walks by, and Kabota growls again. I watch the rat terrier go and it hits me- that dog has balls. So I handed the leash to my husband, hunted down the Great Dane mix and checked- yup, unneutered.

I solved the mystery, but I realize now that the owner of the Great Dane mix doubtless thinks I am complete freak for running up, looking at her dog's butt and running off. Oh, well.
Ditto. It's really, really common. And why we're really, really careful with Jack. There's an idea that it's the neutered boys that are aggressive, but in my experience they're most often TARGETS of neutered males just not liking them.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Yep! Before Eddee was neutered ... Blu Boy was being aggressive towards him and marking everything he could! Now that Eddee is neutered ... marking has ceased and they are playing together! :/

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Thankfully we haven't run into any dogs taking issue with Shammy not being altered. I think he's so stupid and goofy he can't really put other dogs off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts