Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a comical question than a legitimate one.

I've noticed this the few times Sans has been on high alert when there's a creature around. We were camping and a chipmunk kept coming into our campground to steal Sans' food. She would wait and sit all tightly coiled ready to launch. Chase it into the tall grass and then... wait with one paw held up (not in a pointing position).
And wait...
THEN she starts stomping. She'll move her paw super slowly and aim it over the grass and then as hard as she can, she'll stomp it into the ground. Repeatedly. In different locations. It's not a very successful hunting style.

Kind of like if you were waiting for a bug to land and then hit it with the fly swatter that's what she does.

If she finds her single foot stomping is unsuccessful she'll start hopping with her front legs and stamping them down in different positions to flatten the grass down all around her. Thoroughly warning any potential creature nearby to stay away from the maniac.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Shep would chase down [and NOT catch] rabbits, squirrels, and cats ... and chickens, and other birds. However, if there was something in the grass that he couldn't see, he would jump on, then grab it and shake it once or twice, then let go.... as many times as needed. He got very good at catching rats, mice, moles, and shrews... first digging them up if needed. So, the hop method can be effective. Maybe not with only one paw :)

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Haha. I've seen videos of foxes doing something similar.

ETA: I'm imagining Sansa doing this:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty much exactly what it looks like, but originally starts with one paw stomping ridiculously. As if making noise like that would help ever. Each time she stomps she slowly lifts up her paw and checks underneath it to see if she... smooshed it or something, I don't know hahaha. She needs a team, she'll flush them out while the other dog actually has skills to catch the culprit.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Each time she stomps she slowly lifts up her paw and checks underneath it to see if she... smooshed it or something
LOL "Did I gets it this time? No :-( Try again!"

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I've seen coyotes doing this several times and once I think he came out with something in his mouth. Hard to know, voles/mice are teeny and the coyotes are generally observed hunting from quite a distance. Sassy hunted like that but the one time she caught a gopher I don't remember how the hunt went. I wasn't present at most of her successful hunts not that she caught much. When I asked the dogs to get a mouse trapped behind curtains they stabbed first and chomped after. It works fine.

I would ask Sassy to get the snail and she would happily repeatedly stab the miserable plant eating critter for me even though she wouldn't eat them. Not much that dog wouldn't eat either.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Hank does the fox boing. All you have to do is ask him where the rat is and he will pounce really high into the bushes. It's adorable.

Rose used to do the one foot stomp on things like spiders. She'd just stand over them and smash them in the ground.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts