Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is basically just a rant and I am fishing for some encouraging "It will be better and be worth it in the end" words.

Luna is making me a little crazy. I can't sit with her and pet her or she'll bite me. I can't cuddle her or she'll bite me and my clothes, pillows, bed, blankets, couch, etc. I can't walk in the yard with her or she will pull my clothes and bite my ankles. Yesterday she bit my calf and drew blood. My daughter can't be in the yard with me when Luna is running free or she'll bite her. If she wears long pants, Luna pulls them until Faith falls down, then she pulls her hair. I gave her a stuffed toy and she immediately started humping the air. I personally have a problem with my dog humping stuff. I'm not a fan.

I just don't know how to handle all of this. I have trained puppies/dogs in the past and it went well, but this is a tough nut to crack. I am losing my patience. She is spending too much time in her crate because of all of this. Not that she is locked in there and neglected, but if she gets too wild and bitey I put her in for a short time out and she is in there more than she is out.

I am just frustrated and feeling like I have a "problematic puppy", but I am hoping that this is normal puppy behavior and that my methods will eventually get through.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
How old is Luna?

It will blow over... just keep being consistent. All the best. Be patient and remember that stressing out or becoming agitated usually slows the process down rather than hastens it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My puppy did the same thing, I was so frustrated because it hurt and that was the only thing she would do. She was taken away from her mother to early so she didn't have any other pups to play with and learn that play biting hurts. She eveuntally got over it when she lost her baby teeth. A good way to stop it, is when your pup bites, yelp or say ouch really stern, stop play immeditely and walk away, that is what my trainer suggested for me and it worked.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mandy and Rosemary: Luna is play biting, but she has those needle teeth and doesn't know how hard to bite, so it's always too much. She is 9 weeks, 2 days old.
Rlstill: That is what I am doing. I am guessing this is a S-L-O-W process. :) She was taken too early too, IMO. She was 7 weeks. I think she could have gone 1 or 2 more weeks.

Thanks for your advice and encouragement. :) It helps a lot!

·
Registered
350 Posts
My puppy does a lot of the same things right now. She is 14 weeks and 1 day old. We have been working on it since day one. I've noticed some improvement in the biting department, but occasionally she'll still go for my shorts/pants. Jeans are her favorite. She has almost pulled my pants down outside (and I live on a very busy/foot trafficky street!!) What I do when Stella bites me is hold her muzzle and say "no bite" very sternly. Some days she's good, some days she's really bad.

As for the biting/grabbing of hair, I wish I had a solution for that. Stella does it every morning to let me know she's up. She also tries to get at it during play-time. I tell her No. I think there might be some connection to my hair and her rope-toys? Just a thought.

Anyway, good luck! I'm sure Luna will get over it soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am guessing this is a S-L-O-W process. :) She was taken too early too
Mine was taken at 7 weeks as well. Yes, it was a sloooow process for me. At first when I started to do the "say Ouch and walk away", she would just run at me and bite my ankles. It took awhile for her to get it, but eventually she got it. During the process I was so desperate I actually put bitter apple on myself lol! But it does stop and gets way better, I felt just like you, trust me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
During the process I was so desperate I actually put bitter apple on myself lol! But it does stop and gets way better, I felt just like you, trust me.
I tried putting bitter apple on myself as well. Unfortunately, my puppy loves the stuff.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used vinegar today on my hands and legs and it helped a lot!
Luna has had a pretty good day today. She was pretty well behaved today and even let me snuggle her for a few minutes. :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Does the vinegar dry out your hands or do any damage to clothes? I might try that if it doesn't dry out my hands. I already discovered my puppy loves to lick the lotion right off, so drying out is not good. Ha ha.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I'm on my iPhone right now, but go to the training g section, at the top is a sticky called "rev up/cool down, train her to play that game with JACKPOT rewards when she settles down. You also need to go to the first tome owner forum and look up "The Bite Stops Here" sticky.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
If she is 9 weeks old, she is still very young and these are very typical issues for a pup her age, particularly one that was taken too early. Just stick to one consistent method - the one detailed in the "The Bite Stops Here" sticky works well - and things will blow over soon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm on my iPhone right now, but go to the training g section, at the top is a sticky called "rev up/cool down, train her to play that game with JACKPOT rewards when she settles down. You also need to go to the first tome owner forum and look up "The Bite Stops Here" sticky.
If she is 9 weeks old, she is still very young and these are very typical issues for a pup her age, particularly one that was taken too early. Just stick to one consistent method - the one detailed in the "The Bite Stops Here" sticky works well - and things will blow over soon.

I have read and printed out both of those. Also NILIF. I am using these methods and I know it will work. We had about 2 hours today that were virtually problem-free. She also has "sit", "shake" and "stay" for about 10-15 seconds down pat. So, I know she can learn really quickly. I just needed the encouragement that this will all work out, and who better to go to than my DogForums experts? :)

I am feeling a LOT better now, and that is largely in part to each of you who've commented. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
335 Posts
My pup is 16 weeks old and she's still pretty nippy. I feel like she should know better by now but I think our biggest obstacle is that no one else in my family is consistent (for example, my mom pets and kisses her while she's being gnawed on). I don't think it's just coincidence that her bites are softer/less frequent with me! :)

But I remember being soooo frustrated about the biting when she was younger. She'd nip my feet when I was walking and I could barely put my hand near her without being chomped on. It does get better!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Some people may not agree with me on this.. but Aiko was recently have the EXACT same problem.

I tried to reward him when I picked him up and held him. I tried everything. He wouldnt stop playing and sometimes he got so into it, he drew blood. Anytime Aiko bites my pants, and my toes now, I scream "OW" and he usually softens it up.

However the other part I think that helped was when he was being too aggressive. I pushed his head into the floor and looked him in the eye. A friend said this worked on their dog who was having similar issues. It doesn't hurt him.

He hasn't bit me since, and when I say "Ow" he immediately gets softer.

I was told that you are showing him that your his "pack mommy" and if he messes with anyone else in your "pack" to do it too.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Is Luna an Aussie? Keep it in mind that she is a herding breed so her instinct is to herd (thus the grabbing of pant legs and ankles.) Kids movements are fast and exciting so to a puppy it means playtime. I have two rough collies I always made sure that I never played chase games with them chasing me. I always chased them. Read as much as you can about the breed. It will help you to understand some of Luna's behavior.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts