Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today, I thought Baxley was going to die. I was reading on my bed and Baxley was sleeping on the floor beside me when he abruptly starts screaming his head off and goes completely tense like he was having a seizure, and loses complete control of both his bladder and bowels. He threw his head back with his mouth open and his eyes bugging out and seemed to be unable to breathe. After about a minute of this he relaxes slightly although his is still so tense I can't fold his legs. He lays flat on his side gasping for air for probably five minutes then he relaxes and it seems like whatever pain was there has gone. Except he couldn't stand up. He couldn't walk. He couldn't lift his head. His tongue was hanging out the side of his mouth. I layed him on my bed and just talked to him for about an hour-I thought he was dying. Well gradually over the next six hours he has been steadily gaining more strength and control of himself. Now(six hours later) he can stand for about 30 seconds and take about five steps before he lays down again. IF he continues at the rate he did today, he will probably be walking fine tomorrow. He is eating and drinking, and-although I have to hold him up for it-eliminating. His expression is back to its curious wondering-if-anyone-is-going-to-give-him-a-scrap-of-table-food anticipation. I have a vet appointment for him the day after tomorrow, and I am terrified to death that whatever is wrong with him, he is going to end up having to be put to sleep. He is a nine year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel with a heart murmur, and he has always been frail. I can't afford a $2000 dollar vet bill if Baxley has something seriously wrong with him(which he obviously does) Has anyone ever had a similar experience with their dog? Does anyone know what might have happened to Baxley? I would appreciate any information on what might have happened to him.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
It sounds like a seizure which is easily controlled with meds. Let us know what the vet says...keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I read this thread.. and then like an hour later I was on youtube, and stumbled upon this video by chance.. I decided I should post the link to it.. as it might help you in determining what happened to your dog.. It's kind of a difficult video to watch, so be warned :-( You don't have to look at it.. I just thought it might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Mc7mWy6Xs - viewer discretion advised. :-(

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Cavaliers also can have a genetic disease where their brain is too large for their head, and it causes excruciating pain.

See this link-(Notice that in the symptoms of PSOM it mentions severe pain/seizures)

http://cavalierhealth.org/psom.htm

Actually, that website has a list of genetic problems that they can have. You might want to read through the site.

Here's another-

http://cavalierhealth.org/episodic_falling.htm

·
Banned
414 Posts
Could have been a siezure. Did you take him to see the vet? I would at least call them. If he hadn't gotten up I would think stricnyne poisoning.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our golden did that and it turned out to be a brain issue, but they are larger dogs and he was very, very old. Good luck! I hope it's something they can control with medicine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts