Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a lot of the serious behaviour problems we see now with our dogs, si that we have taken away their ability to act like an animal. I see so many people anthropomorphising (giving human emotions to an animal) and it drives me batty. So many of us treat our dogs like people, when they are not, and hence are creating unbalanced and unhappy pets. I understand that many people like to have their dogs inside, and it's their prerogative, but to then force their opinion onto someone else, for letting their dog, live outside seems unjust and misinformed. My dogs are all outside animals, and this is my choice, they are happy and well adjusted, they harbour no malice towards my denying them the opportunity to go inside, and are quite comfortable to live out their lives on the acreage. They are healthy and happy and yet I have had many people complain to me about their situation, "it's cruel" "it's unfair", "you're denying them their right to live with the family". and yet the people who say this, usually have neurotic canines with a myriad of mental problems. But that's THEIR choice, I never tell them, that if they let their dog run in the mud, or stay outside for a few hours a day, it would probably help the nut job relax. so why do these people insist on cramming their opinion down my throat?
This is by no means an attack on anyone that chooses to let their dogs live inside, it's completely up to you... this is about the people that won't leave my choices alone...

the end...and sorry

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
probably because some people are delusional in thinking their dogs are little furry people. I personaly have no problem with letting a dog live outside, as long as all it's needs are met (physical, psycological, saftey).

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
but to then force their opinion onto someone else, for letting their dog, live outside seems unjust and misinformed.
How, exactly, does anyone force their opinion on anyone else? I've never been able to do that with my own offspring, much less a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum.

People come here and ask for opinions. They don't have to accept them. They don't even have to like them.

the end...and sorry
No you're not.

thinking their dogs are little furry people
That's not quite it. The little people that used to live here couldn't jump a 5-foot fence if they happened to notice a squirrel on the other side.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How, exactly, does anyone force their opinion on anyone else? I've never been able to do that with my own offspring, much less a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum.

People come here and ask for opinions. They don't have to accept them. They don't even have to like them.

No you're not.

That's not quite it. The little people that used to live here couldn't jump a 5-foot fence if they happened to notice a squirrel on the other side.
well, feel free to keep your dogs inside, I'm not attacking anyone here. I wasn't actually talking about this forum. just people in general

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
well, feel free to keep your dogs inside, I'm not attacking anyone here.
How could you not be, after your insulting post on the Lab thread?

I try not to anthropomorphize my dogs, but I think it's just plain common sense that if the dog could choose 104 degree heat or 75 degree central air, they'd choose the air (mine all have xD).

for letting their dog, live outside
they harbour no malice towards my denying them the opportunity to go inside
These are contradictory statements. You can't both "let" and "Deny"

Denying your dogs the opportunity to come inside means just that :p

My dogs live inside with me....no neurotics here.

If anything, I have 1 case of stupid, 1 case of fearless protector, and 1 case of "OMG LOOK IT GOES BANG! *WHAP!*"

But no superfreaks. At least, not from living inside xD

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I try not to anthropomorphize my dogs, but I think it's just plain common sense that if the dog could choose 104 degree heat or 75 degree central air, they'd choose the air (mine all have xD).

If anything, I have 1 case of stupid, 1 case of fearless protector, and 1 case of "OMG LOOK IT GOES BANG! *WHAP!*"

I was not rude on the other thread, I believe the people that likened her to keeping a puppy outside to child abuse, were rude
I see you crate train too...nuf said

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I am from the camp that feels if I'm going to have a dog, I'd like to atleast have him inside at night...I've never felt that leaving a dog outdoors to his own devices is picture perfect; after all, most people, now a days, have dogs for companionship, and he's not much of a companion if he's outside 24\7.

Now, do I condemn those who don't mind housing their dogs outdoors? No, as long as the dog is still being looked after properly; food, water, shelter, interaction...on a daily basis. If those needs aren't being met daily, then something needs to change, regardless of where the dog is 'living'. just because a dog is allowed to roam all over the place, doesn't mean he's happy... When I was a kid, growing up on a farm, all kinds of 'happy' roaming canines liked to come over and try to kill our livestock...dogs can get into a lot of trouble when they are bored and left alone all the time.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have to agree to some level...

Someone people here take things too personally even if the thread is ralated to someones dog you probably will never meet.

People come here to get opinions, yes, but what is the CORRECT way to give an opinion? Neurotic replies? Bashing? Flaming over Pm's?

Why can't people be mature, and instead of getting angry, talk like civilized people? Whenever someone gets angry, he or she looses instantly.

People have different thought, and everybody has to respect ideals even if we think they are wrong or right...
I support 100% an outside living dog, or an owner that lets their dogs 80% outside with shed, water, toys, etc...

I also support people who let their dogs inside, they can handle all the needs for a dog who lives inside (Extra training, shedding, zoomies, comming inside after playing in the mud) etc....

But i don't support when people glorify their pets and make them the center of their lives, it gets from a beautifull relationship with your dog, to a sickening obsesion.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
714 Posts

i agree with what was said above.
my 3 have ample oppertunity to be both inside and out. but during the hot summers or freezing winters, they run back to the door to come in as soon as they are done doing their business. but during the spring and early summer mornings, i cant get them in.
i know people that keep their dogs outside and they are well adjusted. the dogs arent ignored and they are pets. and i know people with working dogs that have free range of the farm and chose to sleep whereever and sled dogs that live outside.
but i think the common misconception of people who keep their dogs outside is that their owners dont care for them, and have just cast them aside or to guard the home.
everyone will always have their own idea of what is best and there will always be people that disagree. you know your dogs and you know if they are happy and healthy.
xeph...i think we have the same 3 dogs lol

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GAWD i wasn't personally attacking ANYONE on this damn thread! I was simply ranting/asking if others had been through a similar experience and if they also had their dogs outside...I wanted the general consensus, not a damn "send in
the troops men, this one seems out of control...she lets them stay outside..."

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
I was not rude on the other thread, I believe the people that likened her to keeping a puppy outside to child abuse, were rude
We could take a poll but, ultimately, the moderators decide what is unacceptably rude. You may not be here to make friends, but it's mostly a recreational forum so try to have some fun and not piss off too many members until we've had a chance to get to know you.

BTW, most of us have crated our dogs at some time or another, so you may want to rethink that as a measure of neurosis or credibility.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.