Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is my own dumb fault in not thinking this food was going to be recalled, but I there was still food on the shelves at the store, until now. So I was giving my dog Bear, 4health from Tractor Supply. The salon and potato's. What are people switching there dog's to?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am still finishing up a 35 pound bag of 4Health Chicken and Rice. I am feeding Blue Buffalo Fish and Sweet Potato mixed in with the 4Health while switching over. Depending on what materializes between Diamond and other brand name dog foods will determine what I stay with. I really like 4Health. My dogs do well on it. I also love TOTW ... and so do my dogs. :)

I like having rotation foods in their diet.

EDIT: I wanted to mention that while looking at canned dog food for Eddee ... as he favors these ... I was surprised to learn that Purina Pro Plan canned dog food is rated 4 stars on the www.dogfoodadvisor.com site. I may check it out for him. He will eat dry kibble ... but prefers canned.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taste of the Wild is part of the recall of dog food. I do like TOTW, and was going to that way, but I really can't afford to pay $50+ for a 30+ bag these days. Gas is soo expensive that I having to cut back on everything that I spend, even dog food. I even dropped Cable TV this year because we are doing lot more Sheep Herding training and can't afford to keep it.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Taste of the Wild is part of the recall of dog food. I do like TOTW, and was going to that way, but I really can't afford to pay $50+ for a 30+ bag these days. Gas is soo expensive that I having to cut back on everything that I spend, even dog food. I even dropped Cable TV this year because we are doing lot more Sheep Herding training and can't afford to keep it.
I understand that for sure! I feed not only my three but three other relatives dogs as well. ( I give my rescues away with a lifetime dog food agreement! Lol! ) 4Health is a great middle of the road or better dog food. The price is right too. I like it. I am just biding my time to see what TSC does.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wha a shame that TOTW is in the recall. I recently got several trial size bags from the company and was giving it to Oliver as treats to see if he likes it. He loved it so I was planning on adding it to his rotation. He has been on Wellness puppy food and we have been transitioning him over to Acana which he also loves. I also plan on adding Fromm into the rotatation as I have heard only good things about that company. I really feel for those of you with large dogs who eat alot. With everything being so expensive it is hard to pay even more for a brand of dog food. Oliver only eats 1/2 cup of food a day so price doesn't really become an issue.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm also glad I have 2 small dogs right now. I used to have a boxer, and a lab before that. I couldn't afford to feed either Acana or Innova Prime to those two!

·
Registered
40 Posts
After two weeks of research, I decided to leave TOTW and switch to Acana wild prairie, and then eventually rotate between all four Acana grain free formulas. It's working out great for my pups. Earthborn and Fromm are other great choices. I will stay away from any brand manufactured by Diamond because it's too much already. As much as my dogs loved TOTW, I'm glad I found another brand that is tolerated by their stomachs.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'll be trying Earthborn once my two run out of their Taste of the Wild. The ingredients look really good.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I just got my Earthborn sample yesterday - I haven't given it to her yet but I did open the bag and my god those kibble are TINY. Right now she's on Acana Pacifica after a cold switch - I believe she's doing well on it but won't know until the end of this week for sure. I like Acana over Taste of the Wild, actually. It's a bit more pricey, though. I'm going to throw in the Earthborn as a treat and then mix and switch once I know for sure that she's either okay on Acana or not. In a couple/few months I'll probably put Taste of the Wild back in my rotation especially if she doesn't take to either of these foods.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I just got my Earthborn sample yesterday - I haven't given it to her yet but I did open the bag and my god those kibble are TINY. Right now she's on Acana Pacifica after a cold switch - I believe she's doing well on it but won't know until the end of this week for sure. I like Acana over Taste of the Wild, actually. It's a bit more pricey, though. I'm going to throw in the Earthborn as a treat and then mix and switch once I know for sure that she's either okay on Acana or not. In a couple/few months I'll probably put Taste of the Wild back in my rotation especially if she doesn't take to either of these foods.
The Earthborn Great Plains Feast kibbles are pretty huge. Bigger than Acana.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The Earthborn Great Plains Feast kibbles are pretty huge. Bigger than Acana.
: O I got the Coastal Catch and wow they're a little smaller than my pinkie fingernail o_O. I though Acana's were smaller than Taste of the Wild by just a little bit - but they fit into Bella's treat ball that I got her (and she loves!) so I wasn't complaining. I think the Earthborn kibble (at least Coastal Catch) would fall right out of her ball. :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of my friends are going to try Flint River Ranch. The kibble looks really big. What do you all think?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am continuing to stick to feeding Royal Canin and Hills Natures Best/PVD DRM (in a switch). I have yet to have a problem.

Dogs need specific nutrients, not specific ingredients. There is more to analyzing a dog food then just an ingredient panel. These websites that analyze and rate dog foods like the Dog Food Advisor have absolutely no nutrition training and there is usually contradicting information. The problem I find with a lot of these "top quality foods" recommended around here is they are formulated for all life stages. You can find this information easily in the AAFCO statement on a bag, most will also list this on their website in the product information and if it doesn't I would be getting this information before switching. Puppies, adults and seniors require different levels nutrients and I would not feed a diet formulated for "all life stages" because that means my adult or senior dog is more then what they should be (what would be needed for a puppy). There can be a happy medium with feeding a quality grain-free diet and get life stage nutrition. The companies do exist. That's just my two cents.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am continuing to stick to feeding Royal Canin and Hills Natures Best/PVD DRM (in a switch). I have yet to have a problem.

Dogs need specific nutrients, not specific ingredients. There is more to analyzing a dog food then just an ingredient panel. These websites that analyze and rate dog foods like the Dog Food Advisor have absolutely no nutrition training and there is usually contradicting information. The problem I find with a lot of these "top quality foods" recommended around here is they are formulated for all life stages. You can find this information easily in the AAFCO statement on a bag, most will also list this on their website in the product information and if it doesn't I would be getting this information before switching. Puppies, adults and seniors require different levels nutrients and I would not feed a diet formulated for "all life stages" because that means my adult or senior dog is more then what they should be (what would be needed for a puppy). There can be a happy medium with feeding a quality grain-free diet and get life stage nutrition. The companies do exist. That's just my two cents.
And the only way to see which specific nutrients your dogs need are by reading the ingredients contained in that particular food. Otherwise how else are you supposed to know what nutrients you are giving your dog? For example if you see spinach as an ingredient, you know it's not only rich in calcium and iron but a rich source of vitamin A (and especially high in lutein), vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, magnesium, manganese, folate, betaine, vitamin B2, calcium, potassium, vitamin B6, folic acid, copper, protein, phosphorus, zinc, niacin, selenium and omega-3 fatty acids.

In my oppinion, all these "puppy" and "senior" dog foods are just marketing strategies created back in the 90s which is a great excuse to boost prices. There are a lot of so called "puppy" foods out there that have the same nutritional values that "Adult" dog foods do.

If you think about it, do wolves, coyotes, jackals, dingos, among others have puppy food or senior food available to them? No; and they still manage to live healthy lives. It's all about marketing.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
And the only way to see which specific nutrients your dogs need are by reading the ingredients contained in that particular food. Otherwise how else are you supposed to know what nutrients you are giving your dog? For example if you see spinach as an ingredient, you know it's not only rich in calcium and iron but a rich source of vitamin A (and especially high in lutein), vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, magnesium, manganese, folate, betaine, vitamin B2, calcium, potassium, vitamin B6, folic acid, copper, protein, phosphorus, zinc, niacin, selenium and omega-3 fatty acids.

In my oppinion, all these "puppy" and "senior" dog foods are just marketing strategies created back in the 90s which is a great excuse to boost prices. There are a lot of so called "puppy" foods out there that have the same nutritional values that "Adult" dog foods do.

If you think about it, do wolves, coyotes, jackals, dingos, among others have puppy food or senior food available to them? No; and they still manage to live healthy lives. It's all about marketing.
Agreed. And the body absorbs natural sources of vitamins/minerals much better than stuff that is synthetically added later.

Just because we post about liking or not liking a list of ingredients does not mean that most of us are not doing our research. Also, many of the high quality foods mentioned on here have a puppy formula. That said, both my dogs have been on All Life Stages foods for a good part of their lives... one of my dogs is 12 and still thriving. So obviously I'm not killing my dogs with the food I'm feeding them.

Also, this is still a good website to learn about dog food:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/
It's created by a certified nutritionist.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Except most good nutritionists would tell you that reductionist thinking is not the best way to approach nutrition. Focusing purely on nutrients is risky because it assumes we know every existing nutrient out there (which we may not), and it ignores the fact that certain nutrients interact in specific ways- certain vitamins inhibit or help the absorption of other vitamins when paired in a food, the way certain vitamins and nutrients are found in food affects how they are absorbed, and soforth. There's a reason no good doctor in their right mind would tell you that you can stop eating food, and just take vitamin supplements to survive, arguing that people "need specific nutrients, not specific ingredients". When I go to the grocery store to buy food for myself, I don't walk over to the processed food section and start tallying up calcium, protein, vitamins, etc. That's an incredibly unnatural way to eat. Instead I try to incorporate a wide variety of nutrient sources in my diet (ex. "this week I'll buy some various beans, these different veggies, some bread, fruits, etc) and proper nutrition will follow suit. It makes sense to apply the same logic to pet nutrition.

Ingredients are most definitely important because they are the packages which deliver those nutrients and not all nutrient packages are created equal. And personally I'm far more comfortable feeding a dog food that gets most of its protein from meat rather than using so much high-glycemic grain to fill in those nutrient gaps.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I feel semi-silly because I said I wasn't going to switch. But I was looking for a non-Diamond food to put in my rotation anyway, so I ordered a bag of Whole Earth Farms off Amazon. If they like it and do well on it I'll keep it in the rotation.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
If I fed kibble I wouldn't switch.. the foods are being recalled for making people sick. Wash your hands after feeding and after scooping the yard and it'll be fine. Many of the brands recalled haven't even made anyone sick, and are voluntary recalls.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was at the store today and saw this brand called Merrick. I really like what they call "Cowboy Cookout". What do you all think?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts