Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you buy dog treats for your pets what do you like to get?

I know some breeds have dietary restrictions, and some dogs have allergies. What are important ingredients you look for or avoid?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I look for grain-free, non-chicken. I have a dog who's allergic to chicken and I don't like giving grain. I end up buying a lot of treats on-line or at my dogfood store (NB food rolls, etc). I do sometimes buy the stuff at the store, but I usually use kibble or other small healthy treats for training.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Although I will occasionally buy Wellness Venison & Salmon Jerky treats, I usually use food for treats; NB Food Rolls, Stella & Chewies' Dehydrated Lamb Steaks, string cheese, liver sausage, sardines, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, and so on. I avoid most treats that are commercially packaged as such for dogs, because of the ingredients, and, since their "treats" are usually part of their daily diet, I want them to be nutritious, not just empty calories.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I look for healthy ingredients in general, but more specifically...where was the product made. If it comes from outside the US then I don't buy it. My dogs mainly get bully sticks for treats and a box of Milkbones from the neighbor occasionally.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
well
I don't buy treats often but on the occasion that I do im looking liver and salmon flavored stuff and I make my own treats I make beef heart treats, salmon, liver, venison or egg treat

they can have no grain and minimal veggie. she has whacko allergies and will only eat one or two plant type things willingly

the treats I make are pureed meat, potatoe flour, egg. mixed up, baked and cut into teensy pieces. I also make jerky for her.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I buy all meat treats either freeze dried or dehydrated or I make my own. Flavor just about anything my dogs don't have meat allergies. Or I buy grain free chicken or turkey flavor treats

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I like the dehydrated meats treats. Max is nuts about the Dogswell Duck breast treats. My only complaint is that I think they are manufactured outside the US. My ideal would be a dehyrdated protein like duck or salmon with healthy herbs or vitamins that promote good health. Like what I also like about those duck treats is they are all natural products and flaxeed is a big ingredient. I also like their breathies treats that have mint and parsley in them. But yeah if I could find something like that made in the US or would pony up the money for my own dehydrated I would definitely go for that instead.

I avoid those treats that are mainly made of wheat or corn flour and just look like meaty treats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts