Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always hear people talking about giving your dog jobs...so what exactly is "a job"?

Our little (17lb little) Aussie is about 11wks now and is getting harder and harder to wear out, and he's quickly getting bored with basic commands like sit, down, come, fetch, kennel....(other than "stay", which tries both of our patience!). What would be a job for a puppy that we can work with him to keep him stimulated and having fun?

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It would be great if we all had sheep to herd or large estates to patrol and protect but, most of us have to resort to some type of dog sport like Agility, Obedience, Rally, Herding or Tracking. The daily training, classes and trials on the weekend keep us busy.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My Aussie will be happy to herd cats, watch the front and back yard, graduate puppy classes and play frisbee and fetch.

That's his job description.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dogs can get bored easily especially with obedience training, sit, stay, come, down, etc..
You should go walking with your dog on leash for an hour every day, and try to take different routes so it doesn't get boring. I agree with Tooney Dogs, maybe you can set up a makeshift agility course in your back yard, and give your dog some exercises, physical and mental. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Here on the Isle of Long there are a fair number of firms that use dogs to chase Canada Geese and swans. Between school athletic fields, golf courses, parks, and corporate office parks, there is quite a bit of that work to be had. In a former job, I had a contract with a Mom & Pop outfit that ran a couple of Border Collies. I didn't see much long term benefit from the program, but the dogs sure were fun to watch. Every one I've seen uses BCs for that work, though I don't think it's a law or anything. They just seem to have the greased lightning market about cornered.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
MM, the reason for the Borders being used more so than any other breed is that they do the job better....when other breeds are used the geese don't move as easy and will come back sooner once they realize that the dogs aren't hanging out there anymore....the way the Borders work seems to be more intense and the geese just seem to move/stay gone better (this is what i was told by 2 different goose control company owners).....

as for a "job" for your pup, teach him to pick up and put away his toys (have a toy box for the toys to go in), teach him to bring you your shoes/socks/keys/anything (along w/ this you teach them that these items are not things to be chewed on:rolleyes:), have him help w/ household/yard chores by having him bring items to be put away--pick up papers for the trash/recycling (he can be taught that as well--recycling), there are soooo many things that you can implement for him....

a friend that has one of my Border pups has taught her to pick up and hand anything that falls on the floor....when she is "bored" she will knock pens/keys/etc off tables just to pick them up and hand them to someone....it can get tiresome at times but it's her "job"....

·
Registered
75 Posts
teach him to pick up and put away his toys (have a toy box for the toys to go in)

Not to hijack this thread..:). but ive been thinking of teaching this to my active, untidy 6 month old puppy but dont know how to go about it. she already has a toy boz and she picks and chooses her toys from it and then throws them all over the place. How does one teach her to put em back?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
you need a really good retrieval/release for this to start w/.....i start by standing near the toy box and have them bring a toy and have them release it into the toy box (usually i have my hand down in it so the drop it into my hand), telling them "put your toys away" or something of that nature....as they improve on that i start moving back a bit until they are doing it from a distance....they get lots of praise and treats everytime they succeed and lots of encouragement when they don't (plus, i move closer a step if they're having difficulty at a new distance)....

once they learn this, the recycling is easy to move into.....

my Lacey girl was really good w/ putting her toys in a bag (that was part of her spelling demos) but if she missed i'd say "you missed" and she'd grab the toy again and poke it down in the bag...kinda like saying "now, stay there":D

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Jobs don't have to be anything formal at all, though I do agility to help keep my dogs satisfied. Another thing she enjoys is trick training and shaping. Teaching them tricks is a good way to get their brains working.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts