Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my family there is my mum, dad, me 16, and little brother 7.

What breed of dog would you guys recommend for out family lifestyle.
im in college, brothers is school days works away for a month then back for a month and my mum works two days a week. hope this helps!

any dog breed good with children and the way our family runs daily etc?
thanks for any help!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
That's not really enough info to make a good recommendation. How much effort is your family willing to put into a dog training and exercise wise? Are you willing to go through the pain of housetraining? How active are you?
Aside from that, every dog is an individual.

Perhaps consider the above factors then check out a shelter or a rescue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Every dog is an individual.
Boy do I know this now after getting a dog of my own!

I would suggest first getting to know dogs outside your house - maybe dogsit for a friend or foster first so you understand all the work that goes into owning a dog. My husband does a LOT for our dog (I'm in school now so am not able to help out AS MUCH as I would like to), and we kind of split duties with both daughters (human and canine) =) Will your parents be able to watch the dog while you and your brother are out?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Go to a Lab rescue. Tell them your schedule, and desires, and ask them to show you a 2- 5 year old (or older) adult Lab that has been house trained, socialized with kids, likes to jogs, and has a little obedience training. As long as it's house trained and good with kids, you can do the other training yourself.

A Lab is a good first time dog (not a Lab puppy) because they are friendly, intelligent, tough, easy to train, and easy going. When you make a mistake with a Lab, they will forgive you, and give you a second chance to learn... :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
A Golden Retriever would be another good choice, for much the same reasons. They're smart, biddable, friendly and easy going. You probably don't want a puppy or adolescent dog, though. That is a lot of housetraining (which takes months), teething, chewing and that teenage phase is tough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Miles Davis once said, "learn everything you can about music; then forget everything you've learned." In my case, my wife and I did everything we could to educate ourselves as to what kind of breed would be perfect for us. Then out of nowhere, two puppies showed up in our barn- dumped in the country by some poor excuse for a human being. Those puppies somehow made their way to our barn at 8 weeks of age. We kept one and gave another to some good friends.
Henry was the one breed we'd feared to get but we found ourselves enjoying the challenge of a highly intelligent dog. Now I can't imagine NOT choosing his breed.
Research yourself along with the different breeds/mixes. Question yourself as a responsible individual first. Don't be picky- be truthful with yourself.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Basset hound all the way. They are the perfect dog. ( maybe I am a little one sided ) but look into them! They are fun dogs. high paced if you need them to be high paced and slow paced when you want to lay around the house. the mold to your family and personality. and they are nearly impossible to aggravate. They are actually described as being "incapable of biting" which any dog can bite but it just shows how tolerant they are. They would be at home in a room full of 100 screaming children. they accept everything with happiness. easy to handle. they are a "large" dog but only 12 inches off the ground. but don't let that fool you they can still get onto counters and tables with ease. ( and they will) the one down side to a basset you can not train them not to want food. there mind is focused on what they can eat next all the time and usually all of their thoughts revolve around how to steal their next meal. if the basset is making plans its end result is because it will get food. and they do plan in a dog sort of way. Flash gets into the garbage so I have to go and pick it up hoping ill leave something for a split second he can steal to eat. i enjoy that about him but it annoys a lot of people cause they want more control. lol

and keep in mind male basset hounds can top at at a weight of 75+ lbs so they are by no means "small dogs" they say they are medium dogs but I consider them a large breed since they are much heavier then many of the large breed dogs. don't be fooled by the short legs!

http://dogbreedinsight.com/basset-hound-puppies/basset-hound-puppies/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts