Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now financially ready to take on another dog, and I was wondering......based on the following stats what dog would you think is right for me?

- I exercise moderately 30 to 45 minutes a day
-Medium sized house (1,800 sq. feet)
- Work 2 part times
- Looking for a calm breed who likes to exercise (not love) but also loves being a lap dog
- Need a gentle dog; because I have a Cocker Spaniel with hip dysplasia

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I would suggest going with an adult dog regardless of breed. No puppy is going to be a gentle lap dog.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel seems to fit your needs. They're moderately active and they're usually under 20lbs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok sounds like a good recommendation! I love Spaniels :)
I was looking at a
cockalier (cocker spaniel/ cavalier mix)
English
Springer
or Brittany

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Both the Springer and the Brittany need extensive amounts of exercise.

I wouldn't recommend a cockalier because I don't support the breeding of mixed breeds when so many are in shelters.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any of the three would probably work for you. Just make sure the energy level of the dog is lower. Even in high energy breeds you can find lower needs within the breed. My ACD is down when I'm down and up when I'm up, my mixed puppy is very similar, though he's gaining speed now that he's growing into himself, so my highest drive dog right now is actually the small sized beagle. Ironic, but there you go. I do, however, give all of them at least three hours of exercise/day. Both herders retrieve which makes it easy while the beagle chases them baying :D

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Not a Springer, they would need more than 30 minutes a day, don't know about Brittany's, the other two sound like a good match to me.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Based on my experience with my dad's maltese, that would be a good choice I think.

That being said, my dad's maltese is only one maltese! But, she does fine with a 30 minute walk or less and honestly is the easiest dog I've ever met even as a baby puppy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cavaliers are wonderful dogs, perfect in many respects for certain owners, except for one big issue - TERRIBLE HEALTH ISSUES. If you live in the US, you will probably have to go to Canada in order to find a breeder that is actually following the health breeding protocols, since MRIing seems to be slightly less expensive there. Also, expect to pay a minimum of $1500 (and that's if you get lucky, I'm lowballing that, more likely it'll be $2500 minimum). For health reasons again I do not recommend a Cockalier unless they are following the Cavalier breeding protocols for the Cavalier part of the equation. Otherwise, I'd recommend a rescue Cavalier (plenty of puppy mill rescues in the US, but they will be subject to the same health issues).

More info:
http://www.cavalierhealth.org/
http://cavalierpuppy.co.uk/cavalier-puppies-health-problems/

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Welsh Springers are smaller and generally have less energy than English Springers (or Brittanys), thought they do still require quite a bit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh I am hoping to find one in a shelter, after getting my American Cocker with so many health issues, I couldn't dream of getting one from a breeder x.x

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Consider a whippet!
I was considering one before, and I have a HUGE plot of land- I am worried about many health problems whippets have, and I have heard they are very high with separation anxiety

I am willing to excessive more so; My cocker has many health problems so I only take her out for 30 minutes a day, but would love to be out more

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Greyhound? You didn't mention any preferred sizes. Greyhounds are happy couch potatoes at home, but love to run when they get the chance. Some are cuddly, some are not. But that's true of any individual dog.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't prefer any :) I am just looking for suggestions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts