Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious what treats you use to train your puppy? I have recently started clicker training with my puppy and because she picks it up so fast I am having to treat her pretty often. I was giving her little bits of chicken but because she doesn't chew them she is throwing it up later. I was wondering what treats you are using for training your puppy.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I was curious what treats you use to train your puppy? I have recently started clicker training with my puppy and because she picks it up so fast I am having to treat her pretty often. I was giving her little bits of chicken but because she doesn't chew them she is throwing it up later. I was wondering what treats you are using for training your puppy.
The Zukes mini's are GREAT for training. :) Zoey loves the chicken flavor ones.. I have to drive an hour to get them though, so when I'm out I use home made treats. The most recent ones I made have 1C Pure Pumpkin, 1/2C Peanut butter, 1 egg, 1/2 TBSP Cinnemon, and 3C Oatmeal. I mix it up, spread it flat in a pan, and bake it at 350 for 25 min, and then cut it up into small pea sized pieces. She LOVES these.. and they've got a lot of good ingredients (as far as not being meat based anyway) :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I use those quite small Rollover treats, or the small Rollover heart ones, she loves them and just a nice size little bite for her, she's a big puppy so it's not all that much. She's not fussy though, she'll eat any treat:)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I use whatever my puppy likes on a particular day; he's not overly treat motivated, so some days I don't use treats at all, just praise and a toy he likes.

Some treats he likes are dog food meat rolls, cheese, hotdogs, and Nature's Recipe training treats.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mojo likes Natural Balance dog food rolls (I grate it rather than cut it) and while he doesn't like the Zuke's training treats, he does like the lamb jerky (I cut it so 1 square is 16 pieces and when training I'll pinch that 1/16 piece to serve as two or three treats). Merrick makes sausages he likes as well (again with tiny pieces). I have yet to find anything anywhere near small enough straight out of the bag that I can use as treats for a dog as small as Mojo (4 lbs).

I also had a couple chicken breasts that I cut into tiny little pieces and cooked up for him that he likes really well--they are about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of a pea. Sometimes he'll eat cheese (hit or miss on that one) and I make it the same size--tiny tiny.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use Innova's EVO dry dog food (red meat variety) with a cut-up hot dog or two, some broth, and then microwave the whole thing for 4 minutes. Both our dogs love it. After it's cooled, I put equal measures into snack size zipper bags and store in the freezer. It's cheaper in the long run to store-bought. Depending on the size of your pup, you may choose either the small bites or the large bites. Even though Tucker P is a large dog, he gets the small bites because we are training all day long.

I also use Charlee Bears and Nature's Balance Roll cut up into very small pieces.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I use Natures Balance Roll all cut up into small pieces or Cheerios or String Cheese for training. I also give the occasional dog biscuit just for munching. :)

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
My cocker is very picky about what he eats and won't touch pretty much any treat. My basset will eat anything that moves and most of what doesn't. I use hot dogs that I've cut into slices and then cut the slices into quarters. They're small enough that the dog can eat it very quickly, but still good enough that the dog sees it as a treat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for the help. I will have to give some of them a try. With clicker training you treat them so much it makes it hard to give them regular treats and not worry about it. Plus it gets pretty expensive to go through a bag in less then a week. I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Thanks a lot for the help. I will have to give some of them a try. With clicker training you treat them so much it makes it hard to give them regular treats and not worry about it. Plus it gets pretty expensive to go through a bag in less then a week. I appreciate all the help.
What's a regular treat?

If you're going through that much you're using way too big pieces. I like the Nature's Recipe training treats, Pupperoni and Pet Botanics rolls or treats.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Red gets Newmans Own Premium dog treats . When I got him , before I became a label reader he got Pupperoni and stuff like that but not now , when I see the 3rd or 4th ingredient is sugar and fructose and such I decided I wasnt going to feed him that kind of thing. Paul Newmans treats are little more expensive but all organic and no sugar or nasty crap in it .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Purina Moist & Meaty food as treats. Full piece for my 60 lb Zoey and 1/4 for little 7 lb Oliver. I get it at Petsmart, they carry the chunks not just the "ground" style. You can also order it from several online stores.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You can also cut up a hot dog and microwave it to dehydrate it. Makes it super greasy and smell, but also very easy to handle and hand out.

I tend to use fresh hot dogs in very small amounts to give rapid treats. I cut back or give additional meal-time food based on the training and activity for the day.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
everything. literally.

toys, walks, petting, scratches, privilage of sniffing poo on walks, my own spit, privilage of sniffing roadkill on walks, pieces of trash from the trash can, privilage of drinking from the toilet, playtime, privilage of getting on the bed, privilage of getting on the couch , privilage of licking my feet, saying her name in a happy loud voice, privilage of licking dirty dishes, getting brushed, privilage of digging, car rides....etc...

as for food treats I use kitten kibble and homemade liver treats.

package of liver
egg
potato flour

throw in blender. spread on pan. bake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a yellow Lab, so she is interested in eating anything and everything.

For treats, I simply use her regular dog food..... or I could use gravel, sticks, grass, the cat, my daughters' Littlest Petshop figures, Webkinz, other stuffed animals, clothes from the laundry basket, pillows, stuffing from stuffed animals, my daughter's Nintendo DS, or whatever else she fancies chewing on, which is everything. If you have it in your hand, she wants it.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
my own spit
Hahaha - do your dogs lick it too? Wally will lick my fingers after doing this.

I can't imagine my spit tasting good :eek: - but hey, I'm not a dog either

I use 101 by Sniffers. They are easy to break, easy for Wally to eat, and he loves them. They also have a strong smell - not terribly stinky, but smelly. I also like them because they have herbs in it to help him stay calm and focus. Not sure just how much it makes a difference, but I figure it can't hurt.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
NB Food Rolls are great, as you can slice, then dice into very small pieces, important when training, where timing is everything, and the quantity of no concern, since the pieces are so small, and nutritious, rather than "junk food." The price is right, too! And, the cats are wild for this "doggie crack," too.

Other treats given are also nutritious food, rather than commercially packaged dog treats, many with questionable ingredients. Things like sardines in olive oil, low fat cottage cheese, yogurt (plain, live culture), hard boiled eggs, and the staple favorite, raw bones. I make a huge pan of mini meatballs made with ground sirloin, oatmeal, cottage cheese, w/garlic, which I cook in the oven, not fried, which they love, is healthy for them, and a lot less money than packaged dog treats. My older two (Standard Poodles) are in great shape, lean and muscular at nearly 8 years of age, and the Tzu (former foster) is no longer pudgy. I'm surprised by all the fat dogs I see out and about; can't understand that!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts