1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also, don't forget about the possibility of adopting a good ole' mutt:D
You can't be sure they won't shed, but many make great, loving companions.

Best wishes with whatever you choose!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Also, don't forget about the possibility of adopting a good ole' mutt:D
You can't be sure they won't shed, but many make great, loving companions
I'm a major mutt advocate, but, as I understand it, they are typically prolific shedders (unless it's a known mix of non-shedding breeds). Shedding is a normal trait for dogs - it's the non-shedders who are the exception - so most mutts will shed quite a bit.

I'm 100% with you on the 'great, loving companions' part, though.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
If properly trained, yes, even the kids could walk the dog. You just need to train the dog not to pull. You might even find a dog that doesn't pull as well. My newest boy, Sonny, doesn't pull at all. He's either just behind me or right next to me. Never even had to teach him. He's a great little guy. But does shed a bit.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
when you take them for walks could a kid walk it?
A kid should be able to walk any dog as long as they're properly trained. (By properly trained, I refer to the kid and the dog.)

Anyway, you really have to examine your energy level. Temperment is the primary thing IMO. Dogs all have their unique personalities just like humans do and sometimes those personalities conflict with ours. You don't want a dog that needs to run 5 miles a day if you're a couch potato and you don't want a dog who wants to crash and watch tv if you want to run 5 miles a day.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You might want to take a few of the dog breed selector quizzes, such as the ones on the K9 Country and Animal Planet sites, to see what comes up based on your criteria. But a few possibilities would be Miniature Poodles, Border Terriers, Portuguese Water Dogs, Havanese, and Soft-Coated Wheaten Terriers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts