Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Our cats dont have a bed...but when it came to our dogs, our beagle likes to pee on anything to say " hey this is MINE"...so it HAD to have a washable cover and a pee proof liner. Those are surprisingly hard to find! They have washable covers or like you they had to have everything throw in. Finally Target brand has a bed that is big enough, has a variety of covers AND a pee proof cover! So if the dog pees, i just wash the outside cover and wipe the other down OR I could wash both and the actual pillow/bed part not be wet. It wasnt expensive either, which is a big thing.

I have heard Kong beds are good too but I have never had one.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The easiest dog bed I've ever had was one that was just a travel bed that we took camping. Wash and dry the whole thing, no covers to mess with. I loved that thing... it was tan on the top side and blue on the bottom but I can't remember the brand. I burned it when our last dog died. :(

**ETA: looks a lot like this. Might be the same one.
http://www.amazon.com/ABO-Gear-Pet-Down-Bed/dp/B000FOMQ5I/ref=pd_sim_sbs_199_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1K14REZXY0DB22WMM35Z&dpID=41ER0V1WV5L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

OK found a pic. Here's my old girl on her bed... we had this bed for about 12 years - it really did last that long. A quick google search shows that the "canine hardware" brand is made now by Chuck-it. I wouldn't say the loft is what you'd see out of normal every day dog beds, but it was really convenient, packable, SO easy to clean and... durable. I mean 12 years for a dog bed is pretty incredible. Never really lost its original loft either. We sat by many a campfire with her in that thing! <3

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Pet Dreams
The new ones are better than the ones I bought 7 years ago as there are bolsters around all sides so the sides stay up. They are bolster beds with removable pads. The bolsters have zippers so you can take out the batting and the batting can be replaced as it is inside zippered bags. Completely and easily washable and you can easily restuff the bolsters. Construction is fairly simple as well, now I know how it is done I probably will have a try if they ever wear out which is going to be a while longer as they are made of nice sturdy materials as well.

Here's 14 year old Sassy on her brand new bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I go to the local thrift store and buy a used comforter for $10-12. The dog can sleep on it, wad it up, chew on it, etc. It can go in the washing machine and dryer. When it gets too cruddy, it gets thrown out and I get a new one.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Comforters are too large to wash and dry easily, I'd cut one in half and fold it up but my dogs like pillows for chins. Bet if I tried I could figure out a way to roll and tie sides up for them though. I should get on that. Only have 2 beds in the garage unused and 2 in the house plus Bucky's 2 crates at the moment for 2 dogs. Must need more dog beds!

If you have a big dog a crib mattress is terrific as it can be wiped clean. The bed Sassy is on went on a $7 thrift store crib mattress after I kicked her off the window seat as it wasn't safe for her to jump down.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I like Bowser Beds. You can take out the stuffing and machine wash and dry them. I've had mine for a few years now and it's held up beautifully :)

Another suggestion I have is buying a throw (specifically pets or for people) and putting it over the bed to wash :) I find this works great and the dogs love the extra cozinesss :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Ok so I totally read the title as "what dog breeds are easiest to clean" and I started trying to decide whether you meant inherently less smell, cleaner, or just easier to groom.... My eyes keep messing with me that way.

I actually really like using crib mattresses as Kathyy suggested. They are thrifty even if you buy one new (you can buy one from Walmart for $30) but you can often get them used cheap or free as you really aren't supposed to reuse them. They are typically waterproof and you can buy full cover waterproof pads for them as well as covers to match pretty much any room. When the cover is dirty pull it off and toss it in the wash. Keep a few extra sheets and an extra waterproof pad and you can always have a nice clean bed. If your dog is really large you can use a twin mattress but it takes up a good bit more room. The crib mattress really isn't much larger than a large dog bed and I found that they hold up better.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I ordered and just today received a molded, plastic bed that I have been wanting to try (previously unavailable in the US). It is oval shaped with raised sides/back and a scoop front and comes in several sizes. You can throw old towels, a blanket, quilt or what-have-you for cushion, comfort and 'nesting', any of which can simply be thrown into the washer for easy cleaning as needed. So far, Kayla has taken to it nicely this evening. I do feel that it is overpriced (put gift card toward it making it affordable) but it just might be the ticket for keeping her out of the drafts in this ol' house with the turning weather.

Marchioro Perla Bed for Pets

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Coolaroo, cots, kuranda beds. You can put a fleece crate mat on top of it or just second hand blankets.

http://www.chewy.com/dog/coolaroo-steel-framed-grey-elevated/dp/53802
Agree . . . any of the 'cot' type beds is easy to clean. In the boarding kennel we sprayed them down with the pressure hose, daily. Put bedding on top in cold weather. If you can find something that's welded together it will last longer than the cheaper screw-together type, eg., coolaroo. Amazon has a good selection, including their own brand. We had someone custom make ours so they would fold down from the wall.

·
Registered
321 Posts
A used furniture ottoman makes a great dog bed. You can pick one up on the cheap on craigslist. I cut a piece of cheap vinyl shower curtain, duct tape it over the top to waterproof, and then make a simple slipcover out of cotton canvas in a print. I always make a spare so I can put a fresh one on when needed. The canvas is easy to vacuum between washings, and the print hides the hair in between vacuuming. It makes one nice looking, long lasting, easy to clean dog bed that coordinates with your decor. When freshly washed, you'd never know it was a dog bed. Works overtime when you need extra seating for company to boot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts