Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been such a fun journey trying to figure out everything that Ozzy already knows! It's so cool when I say something and he actually knows what it means! For example, when I first brought him home, I tested out the basic commands such as sit, down, stay, etc. He knew them! Then I tried the come command and he was a little iffy, but I think I dusted off some cobwebs and now that command is reliable about 60% (still working :) )

So yesterday, we were walking and I saw a car coming pretty fast down the street, I just wanted Ozzy to stop... so instinctively instead of saying "sit" which he does 100% on command, I said "stop!" and wouldn't you know it? He stopped dead in his tracks and looked back at me! I of course thought it was just my tone of voice. So, I tried again, this time in a more calm and quiet voice. Again, stopped right in his tracks! I love it! This command is very helpful and with Ozzy it has worked every time!

Another one that I inadvertantly figured out that he knows is "go get your bone." His bone could be all the way upstairs and if I ask him to go get it, he will! :D It's so cute!

So, what have you found out that your rescue already knows and how did you find out???

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Well, I suppose I cheated a little bit because I got in contact with the org that originally rescued my dog. The whole litter had basic obedience... supposedly they know how to heel but when I used to tell her to all she'd do was sit. :confused:

She knew sit, I can't remember if she knew down, and I don't think there was much more than that.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Bayne knew sit, down and paw for shake a paw type thing. He also knows his name. That was his name when we adopted him and the rescue said that was his name when they found him. He had tags on and they located his owners... they drove 7 hrs to see him at the shelter and decided that they didn`t want him. Their loss, my gain!!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Unfortunately, none of my rescues knew anything before I took them in... nobody ever took the time to teach them any commands (which isn't too shocking considering what most of them have come from...)

Of course, all of them now know many commands, but none knew any when I got them.

My mom's rescued boston terrier that she's had for years, originally came off the streets before she rescued him. And at the time he was found, he knew sit, stay, come, and "shake". Which was weird, considering his appalling condition at the time that he was taken into rescue (all of his teeth had been purposely filed down to nubs. He also had old cranial damage to his skull, a broken paw, and severe damage to both eyes, which the vet suspects something had been poked into them. He was also found with a heavy chain in his neck).

·
Registered
546 Posts
I remember wishing somedays that Bentley had come to me knowing more than he did :p He knew sit, which I found out about the day after when I took him in to the vet and asked him to sit on the scale and he just plopped down. The only other thing he knew was to wait to take a treat out of your hand and to take it very gently.

If only he had been housebroken.....lol.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Haha they found Bridgette as a stray so her best trick has always been taking off if she ever has the opportunity - I've never been that impressed :p

She does know high five though and I've never actively taught her so I'm not sure where she learned that...

·
Registered
304 Posts
One of my latest "finds," (read: showed up in the pasture) acts like he was NILIF trained.
He is the *only* one of the my dogs that sits the minute I walk in the yard and waits to be petted.

Thing is, I still don't know what to tell him so he knows it is okay to eat.

I can set the bowl down in front of his already sitting face, and he won't touch it. I have tried: okay, dinner, supper, time to eat, it's yours, blah, blah, blah... I have tried hand feeding him a couple of bites; he won't take it out of my hand. After the other three have been at dinner for a few minutes, he finally gives up and eats.

Oh, he will take a treat out of my hand, so it doesn't appear that he was taught not to take anything out of someone's hand. Just don't know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts