Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, this has happened on many occasions over the past 15 or so years and it happened again today. I was talking with a woman from my church that I have talked to and worked with on various projects. We started talking about dogs and she asked me what kind of dogs I had. I told her that I have Rottweilers. She gasped and said "Rottweilers? Why in the world do you have Rottweilers? I thought you would have a small dog or a Golden Retriever."
Now, this is at least the second time someone told me that I looked more like a Golden Retriever person. What in the world does that mean? Why is it so unbelievable that I own Rottweilers? What does a Golden Retriever person look like? What does a little person look like? What does a Rottweiler person look like? I think it is strange in a way to look at people and say "oh look, that is a Poodle person."

Now, that said, I have looked at people and chuckled to myself that they sort of LOOK like their dogs. There is a man in our kennel club with a Clumber Spaniel and he looks and moves much like his dog. I don't think I look like a Rottweiler OR a Golden Retriever.

What does YOUR breed say about you? Do you look like your breed? Do you ACT like your breed of dog?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I think you look a bit like a golden retriever LOL. Now, do I look like a mutt?

My sister-in-law definitely looks like her poodle.........

I definitely act like my mutt.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I think Sadie says a lot about me. I LOVE CUTE AND FLUFFY!! I've never had anyone say what breed they thought I would have.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Because there are so many breeds floating around in this house, Shih tzu, lab, Heeler, Malamute, Doberman, and Corgi- I feel like if they're all put together that would explain me very well.

I love to be lazy and just chill out like the Shih Tzus; where I don't have a worry in the world. All I have to do is worry about myself. However I am also a worry wort like Duncan (heeler) and I have OCD. The heeler personality explains a lot when it comes to those habits. lol

Then we have Buster who is a Lab/Doberman mix and I'm just as much a dork as he is. I am always joking around, i'm one of the most sarcastic people you'll meet and I love to just be me. Mahalo is the boss; while I'm not a bossy person I do have times where I'd like things to go my way, period.

So really if you put all of the dogs personalities I think they'd blen right into the perfect description of me. I'm a silly, serious, goofy, lazy, brain crazed, active person. :D

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Because there are so many breeds floating around in this house, Shih tzu, lab, Heeler Malamute, Doberman, and Corgi I feel like if they're all put together that would explain me very well.

I love to be lazy and just chill out like the Shih Tzus; where I don't have a worry in the world. All I have to do is worry about myself. However I am also a worry wort like Duncan (heeler) and I have OCD. The heeler personality explains a lot when it comes to those habits. lol

Then we have Buster who is a Lab/Doberman mix and I'm just as much a dork as he is. I am always joking around, i'm one of the most sarcastic people you'll meet and I love to just be me.

Mahalo is the boss; while I'm not a bossy person I do have times where I'd like things to go my way, period.

So really if you put all of the dog personalities I think they'd blen right into the perfect description of me. I'm a silly, serious, goofy, lazy, brain crazed, active person. :D

I think this sums up why I match with my mutt. He is all of those in one dog......

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well, I could not look LESS like my dog if I tried! Blonde hair, fair skin, light colored eyes, petite... while he is dark, handsome and suffice to say not all that petite! ;)

People do ASSUME that I like small dogs when I talk to them. I have never been much of a small dog person and people seem surprised at my breed preferences, which almost always begins with about a 25 pounder and ends with about a 80 pounder.

Maybe people assume a petite blonde wants to carry around a little dog in her purse? :rolleyes: Stereotyping... blah.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
What does my breed say about me? That I'm lazy LOL

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
To most people, no I do not look like I should own a Pit Bull. It seems off. Even people from High School are shocked when I tell them what I own.

Do I look like a Pit Bull? Nah... Do I look like Nubs? Actually I do. It's funny how many people point it out too. My hair color is almost the same as his fur.

Do I act like a Pit Bull? Yeah... I'm sweet, kind, caring, listen really well, yet I'm bull headed, hard headed, only listen to things that I want too, but when I do listen I listen really well and do a better job then most.

Yeah, I'm a Pit Bull... Does that mean when A BSL is in effect I have to leave too or be spayed?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You think I look like a Golden Retriever??? :D

LOL MMM and Rux maybe that means you guys have multiple personalities?

Jesirose what does Hadley fit into the cute and fluffy part? Cute for sure but not so fluffy. lol
I don't think this woman was referring to my physical appearance alone. I mean she seemed sort of shocked and horrified that I had Rottweilers. Like it put question into her mind that I could be a Christian or something. I explained to her that I have had this same breed for 30 years and that they did NOT have any bad reputation when I first got into this breed. They were not a common breed at all 30 years ago. I told her I loved the breed for their NON violent ways. I say that because they are not tenacious like a Terrier they are not hunters like the sporting dogs etc... I think Rotties are very much like me. I like to laugh, they like to joke. They are total clown dogs. I think they are very very attractive (not saying I am that) just that I like their appearance. lol

Maybe people assume a petite blond wants to carry around a little dog in her purse? Stereotyping... blah.
No kidding. I think that is what some folks were getting at. I am NOT a purse dog type of person.

What does my breed say about me? That I'm lazy LOL
LOL Now, Rotties are hard workers but they like their "down time" a lot. I think I fit them in that manner too. :)

Yeah, I'm a Pit Bull... Does that mean when A BSL is in effect I have to leave too or be spayed?
Careful, there are probably a lot of people out there that think the owners should be spayed too. LOL
Nubs is very cute so looking like him is a good thing. :) Glad your ears are not quite so floppy though. ;)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I think some of it involves looks (big scary breed, petite woman? tiny toy breed, large man?) but also temperament. People make assumptions about the way dogs will behave based on breed and are surprised when those assumptions don't match their perceptions of the owner. I'm always surprised that my 19-year-old, rough and tumble, hockey goalie nephew is nuts about his Maltese. But when I consider their personalities, they're perfect together.

I certainly don't look like my dog. But I do act like her. Or she acts like me because she's adapted to living with me? Playful, teasing (although she's a way worse tease than me - we both love to drive DH crazy; we are EVIL), cranky when woken up, not a morning person, easily bored, love treats. But I draw the line at sniffing butts (sorry Independent George), so there we part ways.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
You think I look like a Golden Retriever??? :D

LOL MMM and Rux maybe that means you guys have multiple personalities?

Jesirose what does Hadley fit into the cute and fluffy part? Cute for sure but not so fluffy. lol
I don't think this woman was referring to my physical appearance alone. I mean she seemed sort of shocked and horrified that I had Rottweilers. Like it put question into her mind that I could be a Christian or something. I explained to her that I have had this same breed for 30 years and that they did NOT have any bad reputation when I first got into this breed. They were not a common breed at all 30 years ago. I told her I loved the breed for their NON violent ways. I say that because they are not tenacious like a Terrier they are not hunters like the sporting dogs etc... I think Rotties are very much like me. I like to laugh, they like to joke. They are total clown dogs. I think they are very very attractive (not saying I am that) just that I like their appearance. lol
They are like you Inga, beautiful, soft and silly but, they command respect.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
well, i can tell you that i can be just as stubborn as iorek! haha! he is getting so stubborn that if he wants to meet the dog that is coming down the street behind us he will sit and refuse to budge until the dog comes close.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I found this article. It's fairly accurate about me. :) Except that I have never seen NYPD Blue. :)

What Does Your Dog Say About You?

German shepherd owners are often serious people that tend to be a little shy around strangers. People that don't know them may consider them to be aloof. But, once you get to know them, they have hearts of gold and will do anything for their friends. They can be fiercely loyal and enjoy helping people. They always want to do what is right, morally and ethically. Favorite TV show: NYPD Blue.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I certainly don't look like my dog. But I do act like her. Or she acts like me because she's adapted to living with me? Playful, teasing (although she's a way worse tease than me - we both love to drive DH crazy; we are EVIL), cranky when woken up, not a morning person, easily bored, love treats. But I draw the line at sniffing butts (sorry Independent George), so there we part ways.
Bah Ha ha ha! I agree with everything you said. I just laughed at the butt sniffing comment.
I too think I am very much like my dogs real personality, not the media hyped one. They are gentle, (as much as a 100+ pound tank can be) loving, forgiving, kind hearted, great sense of humor but when push come to shove, they WILL fiercely defend themselves and those they love.

They are like you Inga, beautiful, soft and silly but, they command respect.
LOL Thanks, I think. :) You are a sweet woman MMM. Just like your dog. ;)

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I've had a couple people tell me that Kim and I are a lot alike in appearance, lol. Some directly, and some hedging around it, unsure whether I would be offended. I'm not sure what that says about me though...

When you have mysteries it's hard to say what the "breed" says about you...maybe what the individual dog says about you would work...

Concerning people's reactions to your "breed of choice":
I just got back from the fish store and a woman there asked me what breed Webster was...and was horrified when I replied, "Oh he's a mystery mutt."

Not upset that he was an unknown mix, but that I called him a mutt. Apparently that's cruel and insulting of me...lol.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
well, again, i don't exactly look like my dogs (they're athletic built and, well, i'm not) i do think i have a lot the same qualities they do...i like fairness, loyalty and, even tho i may not need to do it, i like things in order and in their place...but at the same time, going out and "rolling in the mud" and not worrying about messes is about par for the coarse w/ both of us (no, i don't roll in mud:D)....and, like the Borders, i can generally tell w/ the fairness/loyalty/honesty of people b/4 really meeting them....

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I have a mix of dogs here.

Dozer is playful and a giant lovebug. When I take him places I love to hear all the things people say about his size compared to mine. I always tell them he is what i wanna be when i grow up. My favorite is.."Girl, You can ride 'em" My response is..Yep! He is in training....I am like him when it comes to adventure. New places and new things brings the best out of both of us.

My Cairn girls are like me in alot of ways..I think I am daring and tenacious and always looking for some fun. Plus in the mornings when my hair is poking in several thousand directions.. I tend to bark.

Cheyenne is me as I learn that not all people are as great as Id like to think.. He is pensive and a real thinker. He judges a book by its cover sometimes and in a way it is a fault but being that he has unknown experiences..I dont blame him one bit. Once he grows to love someone..He rolls over on his back and begs for a belly rub..Thats me!:D

And Beacon..My foster for about a month now.. I see true signs of him wanting to be the winner in every situation. He has found ways to beat everyone at the doggie games played here.. He is faster than all the dogs and heads off on a giant relay race around the yard.. He zooms in and out and weaves to his best ability to find me and lay flat gutted against the grass as everyone else is trying to figure out how he moved so fast. He is what I aspire to be..

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for posting that article FourIsCompany.

Golden Retriever – Golden retriever owners are generally laid back good people who love the outdoors. They enjoy spending time with their friends and family and many have jobs where they help people. Most also devote some of their free time to volunteering and frequently donate to various charities. Some can be a little too trusting.
Rottweiler – Rottweiler owners are serious and determined people that may be described as "intense"by people that know them well. They have a strong sense of right and wrong and are well respected by their friends and coworkers. They have an air of confidence and those that don't know them may think they are aloof. But once you get to know them, they are devoted and loyal friends. Favorite TV show: American Justice
Well, in reading these descriptions I would say that yes, I am a Rottweiler person to some degree but I am also very much a Golden Retriever, as so many others have thought. LOL Who knew?
I have nothing against Golden's, I think they are lovely dogs. I was always sad to see them killing birds at the dog park though. I guess I view them as a little violent to small animals and birds. I just don't like killing. :( Yes, I am a wimp when it comes to any living being.

ioreks_Mom I hear you on the stubborn thing. LOL Rotties definitely possess that trait, as do I on occasion.

Shaina, I have always sort of thought of Mutt as a dirty word as well. I think it is all about HOW it is said. Some people let it roll off of their tongues as if it is a dirty word or meant to hurt. Others just use it as a definition of a much loved canine. :) The other night at the kennel club meeting they were talking about the AKC allowing mixed breeds into the shows, one woman actually Hissed "MUTTS." Obviously, that was not affection in her tone. I find that offensive. Then again, I think it is offensive that some purebred enthusiasts find all rescues to be worthless too.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
35. Papillion – Papillion owners are meticulous and precise. They can be opinionated and know what they want and what they like. They are talkative and don't like long silences. They strive to look good and spend lots of time getting ready to go out. They can be happy at a fancy restaurant or a picnic in the park. Favorite TV show: Guiding Light.
:eek: Other than being strongly opinionated and talkative, tis' not much like me.

I think I like papillons because they're NOT me. They're much more outgoing and always happy and enthusiastic. I'm much more of a solitary person. I wish I had their personalities sometimes.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I found this article. It's fairly accurate about me. :) Except that I have never seen NYPD Blue. :)

What Does Your Dog Say About You?
Sorry FourIsCompany, but the article has about as much credibility for me as horoscopes (aka horror-scopes)! I can read every horoscope for the day and find something in each one that's relevant for me. Doesn't mean I have 365 birthdays, though.

I dislike generalizations like those in the article, but I live in the weeds of nuance, and facts, and detail and am highly suspicious of anything mystical, so maybe I'm missing something here. I'm certainly willing to concede that I might be. ;)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts